Anyone try out the AirMaks Krait X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think with almost all the guns in my safe, I know someone who had a sucky one. Even the beloved Taipan. I know two dudes who had frustrating difficult guns. We all know with PCP’s there are owners who could figure out a way to break a steel ball, but taking that out of the equation, not many guns have a flawless past. Hopefully with the Krait when we get through the growing pains, we’ll all be able to enjoy a good gun. Mine is behaving like a little angel right now, but I don’t trust it.

Reactions: AirShootist
I think with almost all the guns in my safe, I know someone who had a sucky one. Even the beloved Taipan. I know two dudes who had frustrating difficult guns. We all know with PCP’s there are owners who could figure out a way to break a steel ball, but taking that out of the equation, not many guns have a flawless past. Hopefully with the Krait when we get through the growing pains, we’ll all be able to enjoy a good gun. Mine is behaving like a little angel right now, but I don’t trust it.
Ok, sure, but this is like ALL Kraits.

They should never have released this gun on the unsuspecting masses, knowing it had a garbage reg. This was my cousin's very first PCP, and I definitely have the right to be pissed about this clown show of a fiasco by Airmaks. Now since I sh@t on their gun on the interwebz they won't honor my cousin's warranty.... lol.

Our only hope is if an aftermarket company properly designs a reg for this gun. If that happens, I certainly think it could be a capable gun (for hunting, not competition...). Just would be nice if it came that way from the factory, is all. Hopefully this hasn't turned my cousin off airguns for good, I'd like to enjoy the hobby with him instead of just firearms.

Reactions: joelayfield
Some of us airgunners are different. When you’ve been in this hobby for a long time you can see features in guns that make them must haves. I see from the post from another dude from Spain in another topic that he bought the gun knowing full well that the reg was junk. It appears myself and others are going to fix or bandaid what we have until Airmaks offers a final long term functioning reg. Then we can enjoy the gun and the reasons why we bought it. This is not the first and it won’t be the last airgun with a production issue. Patience is key with these issues. If you are not a patient guy, just return your gun.
I agree a 100% with you. I have been with tgis hobby (pcp airguns) for 8 years, and I am in whasap groups in Spain where there are many people that have been for longer time and what they think and say is that this is, as you say not the first neither the last time an issue with a new gun will occur. There are guys that they work as mechanics (don't know if you say it like that in english) and are not slaves of any brand, and being 100% objetives or neutral they say the design, machining and manufacturing of this particular gun is outstanding. There is an issue, but this brand is answering and cooperating really hard to find how to fix it in any single way, we cannot say the same of other brands. So it is time to be patient and we will enjoy this gun for sure.

I have a first batch Maverick and it shoots absolutely cash money. +/- like 5fps from 250 bar all the way down to 140 bar and I shoot sparrows with it at 150 yards with the stock liner, no joke.
View attachment 313110

The only messed up thing about it was no 20MOA rail - it was 0MOA or possibly negative MOA and I couldn't zero my scope at first. FX immediately acknowledged the problem, apologized, and sent me a corrected rail along with a few freebie parts. They didn't even need to do a V3, V4, V5, etc version of the rail to get it right - imagine that! 🤣 🤣 🤣 And get this, they were NICE to me about it! 🤣

That Airmaks Krait is a total rip off with its faulty reg. You can get an FX Maverick for the same price or spend a bit more to get a new FX Panthera (I have one on order!) or an Impact. The Krait would be OK if it had a reg that wasn't designed by shortbus riders AND if it was like $1000. It cannot even come close to competing with my Maverick in any way except that it seems to be a bit more rugged. I bet a $1000 Benjamin GuNnAr would outperform the Krait. Shame, too, because ergonomically the Krait is pretty nicely laid out and the features are pretty rich. I mean, except for the faulty reg and the non-functional anti-double-feed.... and probably some other stuff we haven't realized yet....🤡 I wanted to love this gun so much, too... Total heartbreaker. 💔

I feel bad for anyone who got ripped off by Airmaks and I make no apologies about ripping on Airmaks for this fiasco...
View attachment 313108

Anyone wanna bet on how many benchrest competitions will be won next year by an Airmaks Krait? 🤣🤣🤣
i almost stuck my head in the rope , you guys saved me !!!

I have other high hopes guns. I have medium hopes for my Krait so maybe that’s why I’m not too worked up about what’s going on with it right now. If I don’t have a solid reg in my gun by February, I might lose my Zen attitude.
You do have some serious zen. Me? Not so much. My zen was pretty much completely gone after the V2 reg failed, but I still gave Airmaks another chance only to have them slap me in the face again with the V3 reg that provided the exact same sh!tty performance as the V2 reg....
i almost stuck my head in the rope , you guys saved me !!!
I wish someone said something before we bought ours. $1700 paperweight / boat anchor.

Reactions: qball
Well guys, we got to testing the double-reg'd TurdMaks Krait today.
  • Started by turning the valve adjuster all the way out (of course there is NO mention of this very important tuning aspect in the manual).
  • Then we applied a slight bit MORE hammer spring just to make sure we could tame the creep by making sure we could always open the valve fully. Make no mistake, this terribly designed reg will ALWAYS creep, you can slow it down by double regging it to supply it with lower pressure, but it will still always creep...
  • Oh, and disregard the super low shot #8, that is from the anti-double-feed NOT F*CKING WORKING (par for the course for TurdMaks)... 🤡

Anyway, the graphs are below. First one is the results from today with double regs. We fell off the reg at shot 69 (nice). Pretty decently flat shot string. We could actually use this gun for hunting now.
The second graph is the single reg'd stock configuration with the V2 and V3 regs (which are literally the exact same thing).

As you can see, the consistency vastly improved with 2 regs. We are still messing around with the tuning a bit, but this is likely the best we are going to see until someone who doesn't ride a short bus while wearing a helmet designs a proper reg for this thing (looking at you, Huma! 🙏🙏🙏).

Hopefully this is helpful for you guys! I have a video on my Youtube channel that shows exactly how we double-reg'd this thing, and it's super simple, so check that out if you want. I've got links for everything we used in the description, and it cost less than 40 bones. (still, imagine spending more money on this $1700 gun just to make it work kinda sorta decently....)

1671312425134.png

1671312447567.png

1671312843537.png

Special thanks to VetMx who has spent countless hours chatting with me about this and providing valuable suggestions. The guy is a genius. Maybe next he can figure out a way to go back in time and tell us not to buy this gun! 😉

The next time I have a shooting session with mine, I will post a long shot string. My gun has already consumed enough “not having fun” pellets. I don’t feel like just blowing 50 more across the chronograph. I have cheap .25 pellets but their consistency would make the perfect gun look kind of bad. COVID restrictions hurt flux capacitor parts availability so no time travel in my near future.

Here is a two mag string from my gun after sitting around 24 hours. I am currently battling my set point changing daily. Last two times I shot I had to adjust the gun down a couple bar when I was done. I knew the second I started shooting that my second reg had changed slightly. My most accurate shooting is at 125b and the gun floats from 895-905fps. For this string the gun was just a little hot and sure enough the reg was a couple bar higher than 125b. I bumped it down to 125b again and will test tomorrow.

56C7F0C7-ADD3-459A-998B-E8E09D44B0FD.png

Not bad at all. I'd be interested to see what a 300 bar to 150 bar string of 80 shots looks like, though.

Daniel's gun was shooting pretty decently today. Like night and day difference. Not sure how to explain the way tighter groups. It's obviously the same barrel and about the same velocity (except way more consistent) as before, using the same .217 24.8gr NSA slugs we had previously tried.... 🤔

Here's 5 shots at 28 yards (his near zero). He said they all went wherever his crosshairs were. Not bad. Before there were always oddball fliers. We didn't shoot targets further than that today. It was 23 degrees out. He did manage to hit a 4" steel plate at 75 yards offhand, though.

1671339671186.png

That’s because you were over driving the valve last time and the extra tension on that valve wasn’t helping. As your single reg followed the bottle pressure, the extra tension on the valve return spring was kicking you in the nuts at some point. If I were to try to shoot slugs I would probably have to go 150b on the reg. But I still wouldn’t go 300b on my fill. If I fill to 265b I get 6 mags. That’s 84 shots. After 84 shots I can certainly take a one minute break and fill the gun back up. If you’re wondering why my 300cc bottled .25 is getting more shots than you guys, maybe you’re still smacking that valve too hard. But you’re moving in the right direction.

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
Some of us airgunners are different. When you’ve been in this hobby for a long time you can see features in guns that make them must haves. I see from the post from another dude from Spain in another topic that he bought the gun knowing full well that the reg was junk. It appears myself and others are going to fix or bandaid what we have until Airmaks offers a final long term functioning reg. Then we can enjoy the gun and the reasons why we bought it. This is not the first and it won’t be the last airgun with a production issue. Patience is key with these issues. If you are not a patient guy, just return your gun.
Well, most of us airgunners aren't! If you want a kit gun, you buy an AEA or some other ~$500 gun. We spend top dollar for the following reasons:
  • Accuracy
  • Repeatability
  • Tunable
  • Customizations
  • Power
You can't have accuracy if the airguns velocity is not stable. You can't have accuracy if the tune is unreliable.

This is not a MTBF issue, this is a combination of a quality control issue, a DFM (Design For Manufacturability) issue, and an engineering issue. This means that even if you get an airgun that works great, it is eventually gonna fail published specifications, and hence, customer expectations.

If this was a car, it would not be protected under the Lemon Law, because it's not a one off QC problem; this would need to be addressed by a recall!

We also must understand the financial viability of the companies we spend our dollars with. It's very difficult to recoup your money from a corporation overseas if they have only distributor representations stateside, especially if the warranty is only a manufacturer's warranty.

This is where an organizational structured like FX has (with a USA corporate entity) not only gives buyers legal avenues for resolution; just the fact that the manufacturer set up the business structure in the first place tells you of their dedication and intention to supporting of their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.