Am I being a little whiny . . . ? ( New scope didn't come with any caps )

FYI, I didn't get anything except a scope in a plain white box, a hex wrench, and instructions, with my first S&B PM2 5-25x56 years ago and it was $3850 back then. Later on I bought some very high quality Tenebraex caps for it. 

All these Co's project and set the cost of their products with or without accessories. If you got scope caps, etc, you payed for it up front in the cost.

FYI, I didn't get anything except a scope in a plain white box, a hex wrench, and instructions, with my first S&B PM2 5-25x56 years ago and it was $3850 back then. Later on I bought some very high quality Tenebraex caps for it. 

All these Co's project and set the cost of their products with or without accessories. If you got scope caps, etc, you payed for it up front in the cost.

I guess what I'm getting at is sometimes you can get accessories but the scope isn't all that good. Then sometimes you can get a very good scope that doesn't come with accessories. Of the two I know which scope I'm picking! This can be Athlon or maybe not. Each scope Co is different and offer what they will according to what enticements, or lack of, they plan for. 

We are all trying to find the best value we can for our money so shop wisely. That might or might not be Athlon depending on your varied criteria as to what a scope offers the individual.

Update on this one. Nice day for a change - esp for a Friday as of late. ( for the past three months - literally - *every weekend* we've been getting the high hard one by mother nature - typically starting on Fridays . . for real ) It's actually supposed to be good weather this weekend!!

=== ANYWAY ===

Nice day out - I had time after I got home from work, I mounted the scope on a gun, leveled it, etc ... and just ranged it some in the back yard.

It is a nice optic. The glass is clear, reticle is very nice, turret clicks seem to be pretty much right on the money.

I just placed my order for my Butler Creek caps. :) 

We can probably put this thread to bed but for what it's worth - I was a photographer in the Navy back in the 80's. ( Photographers Mate is what the rate was called ). I still do some shooting (photography) to this day - not as much as I used to but - I still do. Lenses / glass. That's where to invest in that particular field / hobby. Bodies come and go, especially now-a-days as everything is digital and a "camera" is now essentially a seriously overpriced computer stuffed into a small box. The general rule of thumb is to invest in glass for your particular manufacturer of choice - Canon, Nikon, Fuji, etc . . . . as one body gets retired, sold, broken, etc ... you can use the glass on the body that replaces it. I've literally spent in excess of 4 grand on a *used* lens. Yeah - a Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 - think NFL football - you see those huge honkin' lenses that all the sports shooters have on the sidelines? Something like one of those. But even the smaller less expensive lenses I've purchased over the years - if they didn't come with a set of caps - I'd take issue with that.

Caps (apparently) not always coming with rifle scopes - I guess that's a thing. ( in my opinion ) It shouldn't be. Glass is glass and it should have, even a rudimentary, means of protecting it when not in use - even if just an inexpensive piece of plastic. 

Reactions: rayroz
Just a thought that could explain things....

• Expensive rifles (almost) never come bundled with a scope.

• Cheap rifles (spriners for beginners) quite often come bundled.

Why? Because if you're spending upwards of a certain amount of money for a gun — then you probably have very particular ideas what kind of scope you prefer, not just what the manufacturer chose to bundle your gun with.... 

I would say the same could be true with lower priced vs. higher priced scopes and scope caps as well....

Matthias

Caps coming with a scope has never made it seem more valuable or one that didn't come with them less valuable. 

I'm with Steve I want my money to go into the scope. That's it. I'm buying an optic for that reason. I also don't care for scopes that include rings. I have my own kind I like to use. Same with caps. 

I've bought quite a few Athlons and only ones that actually had caps were the Argos. Nothing special but they were there. I think Butler Creeks are nice. Monstrum caps are also nice. Want the best I think MK Machining are best for what you get. But 4 times more than a set of the other 2.

I am also a big fan of scope caps and sun shades. My guns are for hunting, and there's always dust blowing and weather in the places I hunt. I think some of the nicest caps included with scopes are from Hawke. Now that said, I think dollar for dollar you're getting a lot more in an Athlon scope than a Hawke scope, but the Athlon will cost another $50 for a sunshade and Monstrum caps. I have tried Butler Creek caps, but the two sets I bought didn't last long, so I use Monstrum now. I do wish more manufacturers had nice screw on lens caps like Hawke. I have looked at the MK Machining caps as I really like their scope mounted bubbles, but I can't see paying that much for plastic caps. If they were metal, perhaps, but Monstrum is the best deal for quality and price for my purposes.

Is that typical? I've got "lots" of scopes - a couple of Blackhounds, an Aztec, an Athlon (Argos), A Vector Optics, and a Hawke.

*ALL* of them came with caps - front and rear. The hawke actually has the coolest one of the lot in that it's "metal" and threaded into the front element and is stiff enough so that it can double as a sunshade in low light situations. ( it doesn't spring up back to 110-120* like most do )

Regardless -- I just bought a new scope - the most expensive one I've ever purchased and, I'm hoping is indeed a nice one - an Athlon Helos BTR Gen2. I plan on mounting it to a new gun that I'm waiting on.

It ain't got no damned caps though. At all. Nadda. Nothing. Zilch, Zero, Zip. Not even one of those "bikini things" where the front and rear are "connected" together.

Nufin'. The glass is just . . . . exposed.

I'm - actually - kinda bent about it. ( lol )

Is this typical???

It just showed up yesterday - I just unboxed it an hour or so ago. I've looked, and looked again . . . .through the box for the caps.

There ain't no caps. :( :(
jdanvers, I am reading this a bit late. I just got my Ares ETR 3-18x50 and there are no lens covers. I was surprised. I went online to see if this is typical of Athlon and your post came up so I am responding. Tell me about it. At least Athlon should give cheap covers of some sort! Then, the manual says to make sure the lenses are always covered in order to protect them. Cover them with what!! I presume you have purchased something by now? S7

🤣 🤣 🤣 So I just got a short, like one single line, reply from Daniel the customer service person @Athlon. I even included the serial number, along with the specific make / model scope and my home address - you know - so they'd know where to send me my caps. 🤣 🤣 🤣

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello Jim,

The Helos BTR Gen 2 4-20x50 does not come with lens covers.

Best Regards,

Daniel T.
Athlon Optics
Customer Service
801 N. Meadowbrook Dr.
Olathe, KS 66062
855-913-5678 Toll Free Number

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was worth a shot. lol!! I guess I'm going to measure it and order up a set of those Butler Creeks.

I guess I'll stop being whiny now . . . ;-)
I have to chime in once more. Athlon should give covers of some sort. Sheesh. S7

Reactions: JungleShooter
I guess what I'm getting at is sometimes you can get accessories but the scope isn't all that good. Then sometimes you can get a very good scope that doesn't come with accessories. Of the two I know which scope I'm picking! This can be Athlon or maybe not. Each scope Co is different and offer what they will according to what enticements, or lack of, they plan for.

We are all trying to find the best value we can for our money so shop wisely. That might or might not be Athlon depending on your varied criteria as to what a scope offers the individual.
Hey, Steve. I wouldn't not buy another Athlon due to the lack of accessories, but a cheap pair of covers of some sort would probably cost a dollar or two to mass manufacture. Take care. S7

Reactions: JungleShooter
This thread is hilarious. Most all scopes I have purchased have NOT come with caps and I’m happy about that, even up to $3k scopes. I actually don’t like when I get the bikini covers or a scope coat or cheap caps. I would rather not pay for that garbage (you will pay for it in the total price) and instead get to buy caps I like… because I am going to buy a set I like instead.