• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Am I being a little whiny . . . ? ( New scope didn't come with any caps )

jdanvers, I am reading this a bit late. I just got my Ares ETR 3-18x50 and there are no lens covers. I was surprised. I went online to see if this is typical of Athlon and your post came up so I am responding. Tell me about it. At least Athlon should give cheap covers of some sort! Then, the manual says to make sure the lenses are always covered in order to protect them. Cover them with what!! I presume you have purchased something by now? S7
So…how do you like the scope? I’m curious about the ED glass. I have the BTR 4.5-27 and really like it so far.

When I received my March-FX Highmaster 4.5-28×52, I have to admit that I was surprised at all the accessories that came with it. Flip up caps, travel caps, throw lever, 2" side parallax wheel, larger elevation turret cap with bigger numbers, and a sun shade. All the accessories it came with are made in Japan too. I'm pretty happy with them.
The Athlon Talos 6-24x50 that I bought came with bikini type cover.I got used to them, but like the flip up butler creek caps.

Is that typical? I've got "lots" of scopes - a couple of Blackhounds, an Aztec, an Athlon (Argos), A Vector Optics, and a Hawke.

*ALL* of them came with caps - front and rear. The hawke actually has the coolest one of the lot in that it's "metal" and threaded into the front element and is stiff enough so that it can double as a sunshade in low light situations. ( it doesn't spring up back to 110-120* like most do )

Regardless -- I just bought a new scope - the most expensive one I've ever purchased and, I'm hoping is indeed a nice one - an Athlon Helos BTR Gen2. I plan on mounting it to a new gun that I'm waiting on.

It ain't got no damned caps though. At all. Nadda. Nothing. Zilch, Zero, Zip. Not even one of those "bikini things" where the front and rear are "connected" together.

Nufin'. The glass is just . . . . exposed.

I'm - actually - kinda bent about it. ( lol )

Is this typical???

It just showed up yesterday - I just unboxed it an hour or so ago. I've looked, and looked again . . . .through the box for the caps.

There ain't no caps. :( :(
Ya I have the same scope and it also came with nothing other than the scope. I thought it was kinda crappy also. However it is a really nice scope, maybe it’s a way to keep the cost down. Luckily there are lots of aftermarket options.

This thread is hilarious. Most all scopes I have purchased have NOT come with caps and I’m happy about that, even up to $3k scopes. I actually don’t like when I get the bikini covers or a scope coat or cheap caps. I would rather not pay for that garbage (you will pay for it in the total price) and instead get to buy caps I like… because I am going to buy a set I like instead.
Yep, "MOST" of the cheap flip up scope caps I got with scopes have broke and ended up at the landfill. The bikini covers I hardly use so there is a pile of them in a cabinet but I noticed the last time I grabbed one the stretch cords have lost elasticity so tossed it out.

The expensive ones haven't broken and I doubt if they will.

I don't hunt much and most of my guns get cased so not much need to hassle with caps.

S7 get yourself some good caps. They are worth the money. Or case your gun as much as possible.

Reactions: Smok3y
There are worse things. Like Daystate selling pulsars in a nice case that does not have enough room for a scope. Or RTI selling Prophets in an extremely chincy case. Again no room for scope. You hate to treat sellers like kids but from now on I guess I will be anal about things.
birdie, I too now have my Crown MK II Continnum scoped and cannot shut the case. I either need to cut foam out myself, possibly butchering the case, and possibly remove the 700mm barrel too, or buy a Plano case. If I do the latter, what good is the factory FX case to me? Perhaps if several manufacturers either hear complaints, or if one manufacturer does something and others then 'need' to follow, there may be a win in this. I am not positive, but when Element Optics began they used stainless steel in their turrets for the business end of things. I believe other manufacturers followed.
Worse are these problems than having no scope caps/covers, yes, but two wrongs don't make a right. Take care. S7

When I received my March-FX Highmaster 4.5-28×52, I have to admit that I was surprised at all the accessories that came with it. Flip up caps, travel caps, throw lever, 2" side parallax wheel, larger elevation turret cap with bigger numbers, and a sun shade. All the accessories it came with are made in Japan too. I'm pretty happy with them.
Now that's a nice package, P671. S7

So…how do you like the scope? I’m curious about the ED glass. I have the BTR 4.5-27 and really like it so far.
Hi, Scotty1.
So far I have only had limited time and conditions to check the ETR out. It is unmounted and being compared to an unmounted Hawke 6.5-20x44 Sidewinder and a mounted Helix 4-16x44. I have looked at a chart I made up at and put about 30 yards away and a neighbor's house at about 100 yards. I honestly cannot say that I can tell a difference yet. This puzzles me, but no firm judgment can be made at this point and my remarks must be taken cautiously. Has anything struck me yet? No it has not, and I am a tad disappointed, but I must put the scope through better paces than I have.
I just thought of buying one of those charts I have seen people use on YouTube which has the right combination of characters and colors to assist in making a determination.
I will also say that so far the Hawke and the Helix look pretty good. Do I have a trained eye? No I do not. Should even an untrained eye like mine be able to see some difference even given the limited viewing done so far? I thought it should. There have been a lot of good--and even stellar--reviews about this scope, and I am sure folks are correct. Any forum wisdom is appreciated.
S7

I keep my rifle standing up in the corner by the door so I can grab it for a quick shot at the tree rats. I also live on a dirt road so I need the caps for dust control.
I put a Veyron 4X16-44 on my Impact MK2 and it came with a nice set of caps, this is my door gun. I just got a DAR for a second PCP and put a Vector Optics Marksman 6X24-50 on it and that scope came with bikini strap caps. Going to have to order flip caps for that scope now.