American Air Arms All Things EVOL

No luck yesterday evening. Torrential rain then noisy dripping woods. Saw one squirrel but he had his chicken suit on and quickly retreated up the tree. The gun was a pleasure to carry. My bottle guns have to be carried muzzle down when I have a shoulder strap on them. The Mini hangs on my shoulder like a gun should, muzzle up. The bad thing is because of the ambidextrous safety, most times when I took the gun off my shoulder, the safety was off. I need to figure out how to stop that from happening.

View attachment 387792
I haven’t had any issues with my safety getting flicked off accident on the full size Evol while I’m using a sling. I’ve carried it muzzle up, muzzle down and across my chest. That’s interesting.
I’m waiting and watching for the mini .30 to be available. Your .22 looks like a great woods gun.

I just tried to take the hex screw out of the safety knob on the left side of the gun. Was hoping just to eliminate that knob. The hex screw is tiny and my wrench is flexing big time. Don’t feel like risking a stripped head so it looks like the knob stays. Built like a tank. Everything tightened like a tank.

Push harder. It has to come out to remove the action from the chassis which is needed to do pretty much anything.

If you wanted to eliminate one safety knob, I suppose you could replace one with a nut that rides inside the receiver. I'm not sure what the threads are though. I was thinking about doing this when I was going to change out a pistol grip with a large thumb rest on the right side where the knob would get in the way.
Intersting. I hadn’t considered that.

@Vetmx Not sure if the safety has changed, but on mine I need two hex wrenches - one to hold one end stiff, and the other to turn and unscrew the bolt. Is yours similar?
I will check it out right now. I want that knob gone. With a trigger that light and a barrel that short, I don’t want a gun off safety that close to my noggin unknowingly.

Reactions: SHOMER
Thanks Ezana, I’m in business now.

IMG_5064.jpeg

My Evol has been sitting for months. I took it out a few weeks ago to wipe it down and noticed both manometers on zero.

IMG_2382.jpeg

I figure that it may be time for a reseal, but I have no idea where the air leaked out. So I attempted to refill the reservoir before tearing it down. I couldn’t get it to take any air. I cocked it before opening my SCBA tank valve and air escaped from the barrel. I decocked it and it had the same effect. What type of failure causes this?

There are some comments somewhere from Tom about the foster fitting leaking and he recommends silicone grease/oil is the fix. Can't remember the details. I wonder if it is buried somewhere in these 22 pages of text?

Read the threads at the end about leaks and what Tom has said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezana4CE
I had a leak around my gauge before which was one of the first Evols out and was common on the first ones. Tom has since changed that along time ago. I've heard the oring from the check valve on the foster fitting going out. Other than that could just be an oring on the tube?? I doubt it'd be a poppet problem also.

I had issues with the seal behind the foster fitting.

Though a reseal is quick and fairly easy. Just take it slow with the unthreading.
When we fill high pressure air too quickly this o-ring gets burnished and hard on the outside so it doesn't seal well. I put a small drop of silicone oil in the fill port hole to keep it lubed, and this seems to help sealing.

For re-filling a stubborn poppet leaker something I do while sealing the barrel with my thumb is bumping the end of the butt stock on the counter or floor hard enough to jar the poppet onto its seat.

Last edited: