AGN agonizingly slow... AGAIN!

it appears to be behind a cloudfare proxy so we can't readily ( if at all with out more skillz than I have ) determine if it's running on some stupid windows box or a variant of *nix. The herky jerky performance makes me want to point the blame at a mickeysoft driven web server . . . but who knows. It surely must be super frustrating for Michael and his guys who run it / maintain it and (I'm guessing) spend a fair amount of time working with the provider trying to troubleshoot it.

GTA was once a great forum. If there was only one airgun forum on the web and it was GTA I wouldn't frequent it.

I have absolute confidence in Michael's ability to find, fix and prevent further problems.

I have absolute respect for his dedication to AGN, and I hope for the best. But as a user, it's recently disappointing. I find the value of either site a product of its members. So I'm curious, what do you find so lacking in the GTA site?

GTA was once a great forum. If there was only one airgun forum on the web and it was GTA I wouldn't frequent it.

I have absolute confidence in Michael's ability to find, fix and prevent further problems.

I have absolute respect for his dedication to AGN, and I hope for the best. But as a user, it's recently disappointing. I find the value of either site a product of its members. So I'm curious, what do you find so lacking in the GTA site?

I agree that any forum is only worth the activity it gets from the members. Without the members, who is going to see the ads the advertisers are paying for? (chuckle)

Seriously, if not for US, there would be no forum on which to advertise.

I left GTA: a few months after AGN came on line. I had been a member there since maybe ?2003?, long before Dave took it over anyway.. I always found the rules system and intolerance for spirited discourse with the "popular girls" problematic but once Dave was handed the reigns (pun intended) I watched a clique of "popular girls" establish themselves (as moderators and friends of moderators) and run roughshod over anyone who did not offer them the "deference" they seemed to believe they had earned. I found that troubling to say the least. I don't really know what happened after Dez "stepped down" but whatever it was, there was an exodus of "popular girls" from that forum to this one. From time to time I have observed those same "prom queens" play the same games here but more often than not when things get out of hand management here rightly affixes the blame to BOTH PARTIES in the disputes. Dez was never able to do that very well, for whatever reason. I don't care for hypocrites. Since then I have maintained a membership there but only frequent that place when I need something I posted or saw on the old forum. I much prefer AGG over GTA. It is well organized. Management is good. Rules are fairly enforced.

All that said, I am concerned about the influence that advertising money has over AGN. So far, so good, but eventually it will become a problem because it always does. The girls will take over. Only approved opinions will be tolerated by the people paying the bills and I will wander off to some other place.

For now, I am quite comfortable here.

I left GTA: a few months after AGN came on line. I had been a member there since maybe ?2003?, long before Dave took it over anyway.. I always found the rules system and intolerance for spirited discourse with the "popular girls" problematic but once Dave was handed the reigns (pun intended) I watched a clique of "popular girls" establish themselves and run roughshod over anyone who did not offer them the "deference" they seemed to believe they had earned. I found that troubling to say the least. I don't really know what happened after Dez "stepped down" but whatever it was, there was an exodus of "popular girls" from that forum to this one. From time to time I have observed those same "prom queens" play the same games here but more often than not when things get out of hand management here rightly affixes the blame to BOTH PARTIES in the disputes. Dez was never able to do that very well, for whatever reason. I don't care for hypocrites. Since then I have maintained a membership there but only frequent that place when I need something I posted or saw on the old forum. I much prefer AGG over GTA. It is well organized. Management is good. Rules are fairly enforced.

All that said, I am concerned about the influence that advertising money has over AGN. So far, so good, but eventually it will become a problem because it always does. The girls will take over. Only approved opinions will be tolerated by the people paying the bills and I will wander off to some other place.

For now, I am quite comfortable here.

Well said and I can find nothing that I would disagree with in that post. (thumbs up!)

p.s.

I do have one question, though. Your profile says you joined AGN on April 25, 2021.

That doesn't seem to jibe with what you say above about when you joined AGN. Can you explain?

Thanks!

Morning everyone, 

Thanks for the mostly kind words. As this site grows so do the complexities of keeping it running fast & smooth. In short, we’ve been home to 867,221 independent users this year (so far) and have received 18.1 million page views (so far).

Records indicate that our Elastisearch feature is very popular (as it should be within a forum) and was creating some latency issues. So we (our professional developing team whose scattered across the globe) decided to offload the Elastisearch indexing updates (which include all the topic/reply/creation/changes) to a cron job. This was supposed to be a solution that ran in the background but obviously it's affecting live interaction.

Rest assured we will get it figured out so you can happily and speedily continue to fuel your airgun addiction!

Thanks for your support as we work towards a permanent solution. 

-Michael