50 Yd. 177 Challenge

31 with my new gun, I'm getting better with it every hour.
20220916_164812.jpg

I tied my previous high with a different rifle I shot this one with my HW 77. I shot a 40 right after I shot this one. Those are the only three times I’ve broke 40, this is a tough game with a Springer.

I have hit my 42 once after my posted one, and had a 40 as I recall. However I too find getting past 40 is a lot harder than I have expected it to be as well. I expected, based on groups to be in the 40 to 44 range, but groups are easier.

I tied my previous high with a different rifle I shot this one with my HW 77. I shot a 40 right after I shot this one. Those are the only three times I’ve broke 40, this is a tough game with a Springer.View attachment 290339
Nice card! Yes, there aren't many springers that are going to consistently shoot small groups at 50yds (even though I read claims of it all the time). It really puts into perspective how good some of the 50m field target shooters were back when springers were more common.

Nice card! Yes, there aren't many springers that are going to consistently shoot small groups at 50yds (even though I read claims of it all the time). It really puts into perspective how good some of the 50m field target shooters were back when springers were more common.

Groups are shot on a stable platform and shoot to the same spot with far less movement. I can regularly pull sub 1" with sub .75" occasionally and even RARELY a sub .50. Putting 10 to 12 shots at 1 inch or less while moving horizontally and vertically where no 2 shots are from the exact same position is a trick.

I am in a .22lr challenge at 50 yards. We are shooting worst edge inside .50" for full score. My best so far is 1675 of 2500. This is with a factory rifle and reasonably consistent match ammo.

This is hard.

20220916_202350.jpg

Reactions: Fixedflinger
Factory Springer .177 at 50 Yards

I have been messing with using beeswax as a pellet lubricant. It has been going very well. I don’t know if it is real or a placebo yet but the effect is positive the last 3 days afield.

I shot 3 cards. One sucked as I was trying a new pellet. One was within a point of my previous 42.

The other one I was hot. I may never do this well again.

Temp 85°F

Wind 5 to 10 mph from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock but I was mostly waiting on the the calm places.

Scope Mueller 40x56mm Target

Pellet AA Field Heavy 10.3 with Beeswax

Rifle TX200 MKIII (Stock)

Front Caldwell Rock BR with towels

Rear Protekor #13 with towel.

Bench Creaky Wooden Bench

Any outside the 3 tonight were me and my trigger pull.

Scored using Pyramid Air's scoring template and pellet skirt for a second opinion.

SCORE: 48

20220924_195535.jpg

Hello again,

I submit a new card to upgrade my overall total score to 57. This is my FX Crown MK II .177 cal shooting JSB Monster redesigned 13.43 gr. pellets. Hot temperature of 81 degrees this morning with 0-2mph wind.
ThomasT

View attachment 288166
I'm impressed with how your Crown is shooting. What is your barrel length and velocity, if you don't mind sharing?

Hello @Fixedflinger

I have two new Cards that I want to offer to upgrade my score for this Challenge. This morning was absolutely perfect conditions; Temp 57 degrees, Wind 0-mph, and blue skies. Rifle, FX Crown MK II .177cal / Pellets JSB MRD 13.43 right out of the Tin.

I was shooting from my new indoor benchrest location so I could block the bright morning sun from my eyes which made viewing the target perfect. I shot four 50-yard MOA paper targets as a warm up before shooting these two targets. Card number One scored a 59 and as you can see, I just barely missed on number 8 Ring. On Card number Two I finally scored a 60 and I am so pleased and have had a bunch of fun shooting these targets. Thank you for offering this Challenge to the Forum and hopefully a lot more members will give it a try.

ThomasT
50-Yard .177 Challenge 10-7-22A.jpg
50-Yard .177 Challenge 10-7-22B.jpg

Hello @Fixedflinger

I have two new Cards that I want to offer to upgrade my score for this Challenge. This morning was absolutely perfect conditions; Temp 57 degrees, Wind 0-mph, and blue skies. Rifle, FX Crown MK II .177cal / Pellets JSB MRD 13.43 right out of the Tin.

I was shooting from my new indoor benchrest location so I could block the bright morning sun from my eyes which made viewing the target perfect. I shot four 50-yard MOA paper targets as a warm up before shooting these two targets. Card number One scored a 59 and as you can see, I just barely missed on number 8 Ring. On Card number Two I finally scored a 60 and I am so pleased and have had a bunch of fun shooting these targets. Thank you for offering this Challenge to the Forum and hopefully a lot more members will give it a try.

ThomasT
Amazing shooting ThomasT! Congratulations on the first perfect score of the challenge!
I appreciate the kind words. I think more may join us in time, as long as some of us are having fun that's "thanks" enough for me :). I haven't been able to upgrade my own score yet (Michigan weather but I don't want to make excuses) but still enjoy trying. I also do think I will be active on this site for a long time to come (because I like it here) so the challenge should be open and monitored for at least that long.
Leader boards have been updated, that's some gold star status right there.

Last edited:
To be consistent, I made this as hard on myself as I could, and my results show it. I shot two cards today. One with my modified Crosman 2240 in 0.177, and the other with my Hatsan Airtact springer. The scopes on both were hard-pressed to do well at 50 yards. The Crosman has a Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 SFP scope, and the springer has an ultra cheap Barska 3-9x32 scope that doesn't even have a parallax adjustment. That springer kicks like a mule, so I put a scope on there that I don't care about.

Anyway, I "shot myself in the foot" as I only got 11 shots off on each target, and the scope on each one wouldn't let me check my shots, so that was my bad.

Are there bragging rights for WORST card? If so, I'm sure I qualify. Here are my cards:
50-Yard_177_Challenge_PCP.jpg

50-Yard_177_Challenge_Springer.jpg

Here is a video of the insanity:

Again, my apologies for the poor marksmanship here.

For anyone interested, here are a couple pictures of the guns I used for this. First is the PCP:
20221023_172547.jpg

20221023_172551.jpg

And now my little springer:
20221023_173538.jpg

20221023_173545.jpg

I hope that this post makes you feel better about your shooting! Mine reeked! I may try this again with calmer winds, but I really enjoy shooting when it is crazy outside. We can get over 70MPH winds (no, I am NOT exaggerating!) up here at 9100' of altitude pretty regularly, so that is when you most often see me out there cussing and trying to make calls.

Anyway, again, I hope you enjoy. Cheers!

Jonathan

Last edited: