30-Yard Challenge

So I put the some CP 10.5's through the pelletgage. They are all 4.54, very consistent. I was impressed.

Hi Floridaman,

That is interesting, I not surprised. I always felt that Crosman 10.5s were Crosmans most consistent (best) pellet straight from the tin. I’ve had a few guns that shoot the .22 CPHP and CPUD 14.3g pellets well, but always more flyers than the 10.5s.

Do you think head size or weight has a bigger impact in terms of a flyer at 30 yards of distance?

-Ed

Hi Floridaman,

That is interesting, I not surprised. I always felt that Crosman 10.5s were Crosmans most consistent (best) pellet straight from the tin. I’ve had a few guns that shoot the .22 CPHP and CPUD 14.3g pellets well, but always more flyers than the 10.5s.

Do you think head size or weight has a bigger impact in terms of a flyer at 30 yards of distance?

-Ed
I plan on testing it out. I weighed about 50 pellets the other night. I had to use my wife’s treadmill tv remote for batteries and got yelled at the next morning. Haha. Ordered batteries will arrive today. Weight range went from 10.41 to 10.67

I plan on testing it out. I weighed about 50 pellets the other night. I had to use my wife’s treadmill tv remote for batteries and got yelled at the next morning. Haha. Ordered batteries will arrive today. Weight range went from 10.41 to 10.67

Talk about living dangerously! I’d get those batteries installed back in that remote quickly!!

It was from the 1250 count box. I am going to check out the new tins of 500 I have and see if they are as consistent.

I’m still recovering from the shock of my Umarex Gauntlet with Crosman 10.5s.

I shot 198, 196 and 197 consecutively. I have not shot her since. She had a smile on when I put her back in the gun rack - she winked at the $2,000 rifles.

I’ve been tuning up my Akela .177. She was shooting well 190 to 194 range. I checked velocity and it was 900-905fps. I think back in February when I shot 197 with the Akela the velocity was around 880 - so the summer temperatures raised my velocity. Last night I dialed it back to 875 fps, so I’ll shoot a card today with two pellets that it likes - hoping for a 195+….

Dialed the Aleka back to 850-859 fps. It was shooting about 190 with the velocity at 895-905fps.

1st card at 855fps is a 197 9X. Ties my all time high with the Akela!

There were so many 10s on this card - that was unusual. Most were not close to being Xs. Can’t recall having many cards like this.

The two 19s (no X 19s) were incredibly close to being 20s - I may have been a bit conservative scoring.

Yes, I know that using an $1,150 Sightron target scope on an Akela is not realistic, but heck, my eyes will be 62 soon and need a bit more help these days, lol.

Hopefully I can fit in one more Akela card at lunch.

-Ed

IMG_2437.jpeg

IMG_2438.jpeg

Wow! My .177 Akela really like the 850-855 fps velocity range with the JSB/AA/FX 10.3g pellets.

I submit this 198 13X for the leaderboard, as it tops my previous best of 197 with the Akela.

Target #3 was on me - I rushed and pulled both shots off target.

I’m currently running a 2.42” length hammer spring in the Akela (cut down from the 3.5” stock spring).

I shot this 198 with a starting fill pressure of 1,750, dropping to 1,400. I chronoed one shot after finishing the 198 and it was 849fps - so I’m getting an amazingly flat shot string across 2,500 to 1,400 psi with the 2.42” hammer spring. I posted some long 140 shot strings when I was running a 2.57” spring in the Akela, I’ll have to run another shot string with the 2.42” spring at 850fps velocity range.

Hope this info helps other .177 Akela owners.

-Ed

IMG_2440.jpeg

IMG_2439.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpeg

I can't get over 193-194 to save my life! I can bang out two shot groups of 19's and 20's but seem to get cocky with my performance and end up throwing in a couple of 18's with the occasional 17, Ughhhhh!
Hi Dens228,

What rifle are you shooting? What pellet are you using? What velocity are you shooting at? What scope and magnification are you using? Finally, what type of front and rear rest are you using? Do you have a level on your scope?

Btw - 193 is a damn good score at this crazy challenge. Any difference in pressures that you apply to the gun and trigger will show up on the target.

-Ed

M3 22 cal shooting JSB Redesigns at about 914 fps. Vortex Diamondback FFP at 18X, Accutac Bipod on the front, just a cheap bag at the rear. Yes, I have level on the scope also. One thing is my shooting table is an old folding card table. lol
My shooting table is extremely flexible, definitely hinders me but its what I’ve got.

18x is about the bare minimum for this challenge, I’m usually at a higher magnification. I have used 14x but never shot over 193 with 14x

I’ve got an Athlon Midas Tac 6x24 FFP - its great glass even on 24x. However for precision target shooting I’d recommend a 36x Sightron SII 36x42. They sell for around $500 and it will completely blow your mind vs. your Vortex Diamondback scope.

I’m using a precision lab lift table at the rear with a sticky sunglass mat on it. I found that the fewer forces you apply to the rifle the better, so eliminating the rear bag helped. Its great to practice squeezing the trigger with a 36x target scope while trying to keep your crosshair still.

Finally I suggest dropping your velocity a bit. I have a Daystate Wolverine R HP that shoots the MRDs lights out at 895-900fps. The milder your tune, the better for precision target shooting. I know the MRDs do well at higher velocities than most pellets, but you are trying to hit a .12” 10 ring here, so a mild tune with lower velocity will help keep your M3 as mellow as possible.

This challenge has really helped me improve my shooting. I use a very light hold and my trigger pull weights are under 10 ounces on all my rifles. I prefer about 5 ounces. FX triggers are the worst I’ve encountered - lame design that makes it impossible to drop below about 10 ounces unless you get rid of the 1st “stage”.

When I started in February, a score above 190 was a good card. Now a score of 196+ is a good card. Keep practicing, light hold, feel the pressure you apply to the trigger, do it exactly the same every shot - its that trigger interface thats the key.

Just some thoughts,

-Ed

Reactions: dens228
I put the Sightron SII 36X on my Dreamline Classic - currently using .177 barrel.

Dreamline was not grouping tight enough for 30 Yard Challenge shooting FX 10.3s at 885fps. I dropped velocity to 840fps and immediately was getting .25 groups needed.

1st card with Sightron is this 198 11X - I submit this for the leaderboard as it bests my previous 197 with the .177 Dreamline.

As you can see, I was not zeroed in completely when I started the card - so I wound up discarding Target groups #1 and #2. Might have had a shot at 200 had I been fully zeroed at the start.

The Arken EPL-4 6x24 I had on the Dreamline is great at 24x, but the Sightron is much better suited to the precision required.

-Ed

IMG_2454.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

I noticed tcarson777 who runs the 30 Yard Challenge leaderboard has not posted in a while…

I thought I’d share my top scores with each of my rifles - to make it easier for him when he gets around to updating the leaderboard, lol:

Yeah, I can’t believe I’ve got at least 5 196+ cards shooting Crosman 10.5g domes with a .177 Umarex Gauntlet. The thing loves those pellets!

-Ed

EPG TYC Best Scores 2.jpeg

Doing some testing of some “Air Boss” .22 pellets - with my Benjamin Cayden.

Midway sells the Air Boss. I believe Air Boss is the premium line of the Apolo pellet brand. They are made in Argentina.

I’ve found them to be good shooting, consistent pellets. As good as H&N and JSB? Well, close - perhaps as good if you sort them. I’ve found them to be a bit less consistent shooting straight from the tin - but they can put up some remarkable scores.

Today I shot the 18g domed field targets and the 17g Match Competition - which are flat headed pellets - they make a nice round big hole in the target, lol. I didn’t know whether flat pellets would remain stable at 30 yards and 790fps, but they seemed to do OK.

Shot the 18g domes at 771fps and the 17g flatheads at 790fps.

Shot 185 7X, 188 11X, 195 8X and this 196 12X with the 18g domes.

Shot 186 4X with the 17g flatheads. Perhaps I lost concentration a bit on Target #12 - might have scored a point or two higher if I hadn’t.

You can see the 17g flatheads were grouping well enough (10 shots under a dime) to try the 30 yard challenge with - I wasn’t sure what to expect from flatheads with any breeze…

-Ed

IMG_2465.jpeg

IMG_2464.jpeg

IMG_2466.jpeg

Shot a card with the Dreamline - experimenting with a lower velocity - 828fps with the JSB/FX/AA 10.3g pellets.

Shot a 193 7X which is respectable as the scope was not zeroed when I started the card. Humidity is so high that my thumb was slipping on stock and even my trigger finger was sliding when I squeezed.

Hope everyone is enjoying the long holiday weekend. I’m done with 30 yard for today, will shoot 100 yards at my brother’s place tomorrow.

IMG_2467.jpeg

Reactions: beerthief