Skout .25 Skout Epoch

Filled gun after getting to the range. LP reg failed - again. Borrowed a .25 Daystate Delta Wolf from Lauren Parsons and shot that. Took me a couple lanes to get correct dope but did ok after that and am in 2nd after day 1. Really wanted to shoot the Skout but it wasn’t meant to be. This is the second time is less than two months that the LP reg has failed.. 😞
I don’t know whether to “like” this or put a sad face! Great shooting with a borrowed rifle! Too bad on that LP reg again. Not cool.

I wish I had taken a day off to come watch this. I probably should have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Centercut
Filled gun after getting to the range. LP reg failed - again. Borrowed a .25 Daystate Delta Wolf from Lauren Parsons and shot that. Took me a couple lanes to get correct dope but did ok after that and am in 2nd after day 1. Really wanted to shoot the Skout but it wasn’t meant to be. This is the second time is less than two months that the LP reg has failed.. 😞
Way to recover, finishing 2nd at the end of day with a borrowed rifle is truly impressive. I'm sure as the number of competitors increase at these national events using Epochs. Skout will start bringing tech support to these competitions. Nothing a factory tech to service your needs. They've done it for 30 plus years at paintball events.

The Epoch regs aren’t up to par. I’m having a 30 fps drop in speed from fill to refill. Skout should take a serious look at their regs and possibly go back to the drawing board! Truth hurts but you can’t grow without hearing it. The Epoch is a shooter but there are some regulator deficiencies that, in my opinion, must be addressed.

Yeah I finished one point out of shoot off for 2nd with the borrowed gun. So 4th for me. Wish I could have shot the Skout I’ve been practicing with for the past 6 weeks. Agree with Scott @Motorhead , it’s too bad we seem to be beta testing the Epoch. The gun is accurate with great potential. BOTH regs need work! Maybe Huma could make a functional reliable replacement reg for the Epoch.

IMG_1724.jpeg

Last edited:
Well a bummer and not bad good showing for replacement rifle last minute! Too bad the scout crapped out! At least you know to shoot your wolf till your sure you can depend on the scout!
You got that right. I won’t be shooting the Skout in any further competitions until the HP regulator works properly and the LP regulator works for more than a week or two. I really want to like the gun…. but it’s got too many issues, both functional and reliable, for anything but Benchrest….

You got that right. I won’t be shooting the Skout in any further competitions until the HP regulator works properly and the LP regulator works for more than a week or two. I really want to like the gun…. but it’s got too many issues, both functional and reliable, for anything but Benchrest….
Mike,

Congrats on the good scoring despite the unfortunate circumstances. I would just like to clear up a few things for our audience here. Out of all the Epochs we have had less than 10 low-pressure regulator issues, 2 unfortunately happening to you. immediately upon hearing about this issue we sprang into action and made a video for you showing how to get your low-pressure regulator to turn on, a process that would take less than 5 minutes to complete and you would be back to shooting. Things like this should be the last thing you should worry about when competing, which is on us. We have already found ways to improve the existing design, but this is an isolated issue and we do not want others to be misguided. The Epoch platform took multiple years to develop and we spent countless hours testing all of the components. There will always be something that can be improved upon and we will continue to innovate, but this situation does not reflect the majority Epoch owners' experiences.

Mike,

Congrats on the good scoring despite the unfortunate circumstances. I would just like to clear up a few things for our audience here. Out of all the Epochs we have had less than 10 low-pressure regulator issues, 2 unfortunately happening to you. immediately upon hearing about this issue we sprang into action and made a video for you showing how to get your low-pressure regulator to turn on, a process that would take less than 5 minutes to complete and you would be back to shooting. Things like this should be the last thing you should worry about when competing, which is on us. We have already found ways to improve the existing design, but this is an isolated issue and we do not want others to be misguided. The Epoch platform took multiple years to develop and we spent countless hours testing all of the components. There will always be something that can be improved upon and we will continue to innovate, but this situation does not reflect the majority Epoch owners' experiences.
Thank you. Honestly I’d have preferred to shoot the Skout, since I’m 95% certain I would have done better, maybe not a win, but most definitely 2nd. To counteract the HP reg and pellet speed ES issue I had planned to fill the gun every 3 lanes. It’s a band aid for a problem that needs remedied.

I appreciate the quick turn around on the video, but I think you failed to understand I was in an open field waiting to start the competition. I did not have a work bench, nor socket set, nor Allen keys, nor oring pick and no replacement orings. So NO, not a 5 minute job.

I understand your point of view with the LP reg and it’s valid. I’ll repair the fault when I get home, hopefully it doesn’t happen again. If it does I’ll expect a replacement LP regulator sent my way.

This public forum isn’t the right place to discuss all the issues we’ve had with our guns, from HP reg (and therefore pellet speed) consistency, to LP reg reliability (Caleb also had LP reg issues so it’s not just me), to trigger solenoid issues that both Caleb and Derrick have experienced.

Derrick was also planning to shoot his .25 Epoch at the TexTreme Texas State EFT Championships but decided not to …
“ I'm rocking the .25 Delta Wolf this weekend. The Epoch was just not consistent with fps. It was just going down in speed as I shot the string. It also has developed a trigger issue and it's getting worse. “

Please don’t take this as Skout bashing. It’s not. We all like the gun. It’s good for Benchrest and is very accurate. As it currently functions, it’s not ready to be competitive in Extreme Field Target or PRS type events due to the high (30 fps +) ES. And a minor issue of the cocking arm not staying back when cocked.

We want to help work these issues out, as Scott S @Motorhead also says in a recent post above. We’ve done real world no sh1t no political correct real world practice and competition preparations with the Epoch.
You certainly won’t find ‘Tubers discussing Pros AND Cons of the Epoch.
I’m sure Skout is aware of these issues. Maybe it’s not something you want to hear but it is what it is. We realize it’s a new platform, and will have issues. Those must be acknowledged in order to improve. When Daystate first released the Delta Wolf there were many issues. But they took feedback, and improved the gun to the point where it is today - the gun both Derrick and I chose to compete with this weekend vice the Epoch.

Last edited:
Thank you. Honestly I’d have preferred to shoot the Skout.

I think you failed to understand I was in an open field waiting to start the competition. I did not have a work bench, nor socket set, nor Allen keys, nor oring pick and no replacement orings. So NO, not a 5 minute job.

I understand your point of view with the LP reg and it’s valid. I’ll repair the fault when I get home, hopefully it doesn’t happen again. If it does I’ll expect a replacement LP regulator sent my way.

This public forum isn’t the right place to discuss all the issues we’ve had with our guns, from HP reg (and therefore pellet speed) consistency, to LP reg reliability (Caleb also had LP reg issues so it’s not just me), to trigger solenoid issues that both Caleb and Derrick have experienced.

Derrick was also planning to shoot his .25 Epoch at the TexTreme Texas State EFT Championships but decided not to …
“ I'm rocking the .25 Delta Wolf this weekend. The Epoch was just not consistent with fps. It was just going down in speed as I shot the string. It also has developed a trigger issue and it's getting worse. “

Please don’t take this as Skout bashing. It’s not. We all like the gun. It’s good for Benchrest and is very accurate. As it currently functions, it’s not ideal or competitive in Extreme Field Target or PRS type events due to the high (30 fps +) ES. And a minor issue of the cocking arm not staying back when cocked.

We want to help work these issues out, as Scott S @Motorhead also says in a recent post above. We’ve done real world no sh1t no political correct real world practice and competition preparations with the Epoch. I’m sure Skout is aware of these issues. Maybe it’s not something you want to hear but it is what it is. We realize it’s a new platform, and will have issues. Those must be acknowledged in order to improve. When Daystate first released the Delta Wolf there were many issues. But they took feedback, and improved the gun to the point where it is today.
Very well stated

what happened when the LPR failed?

Edit: I see it now. It wouldn’t pass any pressure to the spool.
Exactly. 0 pressure. I tried turning counter clockwise to increase pressure. When it got most of the way in the pressure went up to over 300 psi. But then it wouldn’t adjust back down to required pressure and seems to have failed high.

... Is this the REGULATOR video we're speaking of ?

Watched it & while it gives rebuild / service "How Too", did not see any trouble shooting or specific How to fix a similar issue such as Mikes and a few other guns have experienced.
Skout made a short video and sent to me. Not that video.

Nope. LP reg is counterclockwise. HP reg is clockwise.
Both high and low pressure regulators on the Epoch are controlled in the same manner. Clockwise to increase pressure, counter-clockwise to decrease pressure. The LPR uses left-handed threads so that both regulators can operate in the same direction to avoid confusion. On the faces of the knobs there are arrows with + and - signs designating directions. Note to adjust the LPR down a shot must be fired to see the change. It does not self-vent like the HPR.

Reactions: Centercut
Both high and low pressure regulators on the Epoch are controlled in the same manner. Clockwise to increase pressure, counter-clockwise to decrease pressure. The LPR uses left-handed threads so that both regulators can operate in the same direction to avoid confusion. On the faces of the knobs there are arrows with + and - signs designating directions. Note to adjust the LPR down a shot must be fired to see the change. It does not self-vent like the HPR.
Good to know. I probably missed that in the instructions about the reg not self venting and needing to fire the gun to see a change. 😞

Last edited: