.22pcp vs .25 springer

What would you rather choose for hunting raccoons?

Votes: 22 88.0%

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
Jay Jay, I do not have a Huntsman, but I do have an AA 500. There are plenty of inexpensive pcp that will put out 30+fpe. But once you step up to one of the better quality guns, the difference is night and day. i will never part with this gun.

I am still working on my justification process. Those Huntsmans are killing me.

Trash pandas are very very tough. if you think whacking them is gong to be a common thing, more fpe is better.

@ Floridaman, I will cry myself to sleep tonight with the image of your Huntsman in my head.
IMG_3163.jpeg

Last edited:
So with the high price point are they really worth it they are bea
Once you move up to $1000+ airguns you're not really buying them for their utility anymore. Anything you've got that really needs killing can be shot, trapped or poisoned for much less money. You could buy a perfectly functional bicycle for $600 too, but its not going to satisfy a hardcore cyclist and the same could be said of golf, snowboards, etc...

For me, high end guns are worth it. I shoot well enough and often enough that I can appreciate the difference. For most people not on this forum they're probably a waste of money.

Reactions: Jayjay.22cal
I wonder if the HW gas piston in .25 would be any good. I'm sure the Impact in .25 and the R5 in same will do it mo better! The R5 is tuned with LDC to be backyard "quite" or quiet. I certainly won't be using a quieted 300 Blackout in a backyard with neighbors close by. This is equivalent to a SWAG. But utopia could be a city of shooters with large plots of land, heavy hedges between "castles", and a very purposefully run homeowners association. Some of that may not be real words but I hope you understand. Just a dreamer today, but at one time it could have been. Be Well, B.

A used Daystate Huntsman, regulated or not, in .22 is about as good as a new shooter could want. Nice power, nice looks, accurate, easy to fill and shoot. AOA posts used ones often. There is one on the site now, but it is an older version. For a new shooter I would say stick with the current versions. (Nice price, though.)

I'm sorry if this has been covered. Why would you buy a 25 caliber springer when already considering a 22 PCP? Just get a 25 caliber PCP.
I got springers and pcp airguns but only two pcp .22 airguns I’m trying to add onto my collection a .25 and .30cal will be my next pcp airguns I want to move up the caliber ladder instead of jumping around calibers also I wonder what a .50cal pcp would do to a coon 🤔🧐🤣

A used Daystate Huntsman, regulated or not, in .22 is about as good as a new shooter could want. Nice power, nice looks, accurate, easy to fill and shoot. AOA posts used ones often. There is one on the site now, but it is an older version. For a new shooter I would say stick with the current versions. (Nice price, though.)

Thanks for that I didn’t know they sold them used that’s probably the route I would take and I’m sure they would fix anything that was wrong with it considering they say refurbished.

Reactions: Lazarus Long
Thanks for that I didn’t know they sold them used that’s probably the route I would take and I’m sure they would fix anything that was wrong with it considering they say refurbished.
I'm not really familiar with Daystates, but older PCPs in general tended to be unregulated and that means you have to learn their shot curve to get peak accuracy out of them. Regulators just allow you to get more shots per fill, more consistent velocities and are less fussy about it. There have been other improvements over time, but that is the big one.

I did not see anything about "refurbished," on the older Huntsman at that link. If it were me I would wait for a current Daystate Huntsman model to come up- they often do. Current means parts and repair are available, if you need it.