88 cu. ft. Carbon tank question

What vehicle uses a 35 inch tire and what pressure is your target in the tire? Sounds like construction equipment or some serious bog tires. And why would you use a $700 or $800 tank when a $200 compressor could easily do all 4 tires relatively, albeit a bit slower than a 4500 PSI tank. You'd also have to figure out where to get the 88CF tank filled, conversion fittings, etc, etc. Probably not worth the hassle.

So, what kind of vehicle is it?

On board compressor does seem like the way to go.

Now this video scares me but it was posted so?????????? I would NOT give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqUCwTSXjxs

John

John - if this "scares" you I have to ask "Does filling a Benjamin Disco via a 4500psi SCBA tank "scare" you? Kinda the same scenario isn't it?

Lots of guys on the beach with 4x4's who routinely air down their tires for traction carry scuba tanks to air back up when they get off the sand.

And what about adding an adjustable regulator to the tank? They make paintball regs that go as low as 100psi. And if this scares you what do you think about the guys who put that 4500psi tank output (with regulator) on their face?

I love the reaction from Saltlake58. "What vehicle uses a 35 inch tire".

My jeep has 35s on it. its a common off road tire size. Most common I see around my local off road trails are 33s, 35s and 37s with the occasional 44s on some crawlers. I have seen some air tank setups for airing up tires. Im not sure how everything is run because I never asked but I have seen it in action taking a tire from 7psi to 30psi. Airing back up for road driving. I would do some more research on it starting with an off road forum or give a local off road supplier/shop a call. Not autozone or the like though. They will most likely have no clue what you are talking about. 

I was visiting a friend in San Jose,we heard a loud bang,come to find out later it was caused by a big tractor tire exploding,poor guy overfilled it,get this, they said they never found "him"......parts .

I also worked repairing rubber life rafts for the Navy,One time a fill tank "got away"went through two walls,lucky no one was hurt;We lost our contract after that..

Never take things for granite,no matter how hard your head.

Lots of concerns over why not to do this but they don't address the original question. Will it work? If you have the tank with appropriate fittings and a low or flat tire and can use a bit of caution then why not use the tank to fill the tire if needed. As several have noted, seems it will work just fine. Is it the safest way to do it? Almost certainly not. Will it work just fine? Seems so.

" John – if this "scares" you I have to ask "Does filling a Benjamin Disco via a 4500psi SCBA tank "scare" you? Kinda the same scenario isn't it? "

YES! With NO regulator, No proper adaptor, 3,000_ psi hooked to a 35psi rubber tire. Rated burst pressure on a Tire is? Rated burst pressure on a benjamin discovery air tube ?

You can try hooking one to a nebulizer ( again NO reg) put that in your Childs mouth whilst they inhale and if you are careful it will all be fine. Esp. if you have the experience level of " I read it on the Internet". No worries at all.

Sure ad a regulator and a proper fitting and NO issue, I have run power tools this way ( WITH reg & fittings).

I have also seem more than one tire blow at less than 150psi while mounting , yes scary and what with people thinking clearly less and less today using FULL psi it would only take a slip and the fun times are over.

Certainly seems a spot on "airgun" topic tho.

John

@lenweber2

You are touching on the relevant issue— pressure vs volume. Just because the pressure in the tank is at 3000, 3500, 4500 or the like does not mean that the tire will suddenly be subject that pressure. The volume of air is a function of the valve orifice size and/or the flow rate that can pass through the hose.

The tire will slowly fill to it’s rated pressure and you shut off the valve. Simple as that. The only way to get to pressures that might be a problem for the tire would be to leave the tank valve open for a longer period of time than necessary. The valve can be used to slow the fill rate as well— just “crack” it open and it will inflate the tire very slowly.

OK even though this is not really air gun related, it is kinda related to the Air Gun fills calculators we use. When Spysir brought up the the differences between the burst pressures of the gun vs tires, and then mcdonama brought up the issue of pressure vs volume I decided to try and do some rough calculations.

First it seems like the burst pressure of a tire in the 200psi range, some indicating pressures of 250psi without bursting. Seems a lot of tires will "dismount" from the rim prior to busrting.

Now the OP asked about a 35" tire. Didn't say the rim size, but for my calculation I used a 35"x12.5"x16" tires size. Based on this I come up with an internal volume of approx 156054cc.

(17.5*17.5*3.1415*12.5) - (8*8*3.1415*12.5) = 9513ci=156054cc

Using the AOA I input a tank size of 88cf with 4500psi. I used a fill to pressure of 40psi with a starting pressure of 1 and it says that the tank will fill the tires 6 times, not accounting for any loss. So the the OP it looks like it would work to fill all 4 of your tires. If I used 40 and 15psi (beach pressure) it goes to 9 times.

Now to get the max pressure I just raised the fill to pressure until the 3 of fills dropped below 1 and this happened at 236psi so an 88cf tank filled to 4500psi will only be able to fill the tire to 235psi. SO not sure what the rate of fill would be but it sure seems to me like it would take quite a long time before the tire would burst even if you cranked the valve wide open.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Tanks/FillCalc.html

As a disclaimer I am going off the calculations of the AOA calculator and do not know it it contains any errors.