8 Year Old 1st Air gun?

Hello,

Looking into Air rifles, going to be doing the motor home thing with the kids, and already have .22 suppressed rifles, etc, but looking at airguns.

Girls are 8 and 5.

I want decent accuracy, and will put on a good scope, not a 20 dollar junk pile so I am willing to spend more than the 100-200 Range gun. Don't think they are ready for an FX impact though. LOL.

My daughter is 8. I started her at 6 with a Raven brake barrel. This year I bought her a .22 Brocock contour S6. It is wicked accurate. stacks pellets at 25 and .5 at 50. Its light, short, and she handles it standing or bench with no issues. It had a Clague moderator on it and is whisper quiet. Shoots around 18 ft lb. (small game) mags are cheap. simple to operate. Bolt lock back for safe. I have as much fun with it as she does.

I have a 392 and a 760 for my kids. My kids are 6 and 4 and unable to pump either of the pumpers. On that note, my son the 6 year old is also barely able to cock his Diana 70 which is about as easy to cock as they come in a youth springer. For now I pump and cock the guns for them. I also have had my kids shooting some of my pcp's, but they are much to small to properly shoulder them. I think a nice pumper like the 392 or 397 is a great gun to learn with but they can be awkward with a scope. If you want a pcp, a Marauder pistol or 1720 setup as a carbine would be very hard to beat for a youth shooter as they are small and very light and not too expensive. The Brocock line would be a very good choice if it is in your budget. A Discovery could also make a nice youth pcp as well.

Glad to see that you are bringing your girls up to shoot!! Always enjoy reading about fellow members and there hunting and shooting stories with their kids!!

The Umarax NXG APX is easy to pump and very light weight and inexpensive. My boy is 6 and he can shoot it but he can't pump it yet. What I like about it is that as soon as you pull the pump handle the safety is engaged. Rick Eustler has a few videos showing his wife and daughter shooting it. If you're set on PCP then a Discovery would be my suggestion.

if yu wanna go pcp id go p-rod my nephew whos 7 has no probm carrying shouldering and shooting mine when we are in the woods other then pumping its pretty much perfact for a 50 yard plinker-hunter plus its pretty cheap so really if you want with all the after market parts you can make it a bit more powerfull and it still not cost a lot
​plus its ez to fill due to the small tube and if you tune it down as a plinker you can get 40+ shots ezaly

In the low price range i think a CO2 gun would be great for kids. No pumping or heavy cocking stroke. you don't get a whole lot of power and you do have to buy CO2 but it is still a blast to shoot and CO2 is really cheap. Crosman makes a few in your price range and so does a few other companies. I have heard a lot of good things about the QB rifles that they sell on Archer Airguns as well. I think CO2 is an underrated powerplant.