• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

75 & 100 yards with the .22 bobcat

Ben10

Apr 1, 2015
As some of you may have read, I have been trying a bit if longer range shooting lately. Previously my longest was 55 yards. 

I have 2 other threads on here with my first and second attempts at 75 & the odd shot at 100 yards. 

Here is my third attempt. Conditions were near perfect so the only thing to blame for anything is myself. 

75 yards

100 yards (the grid is spaced .25")

another pic of my shooting hut, from the inside this time. I have chair gun printouts pinned on the wall with the reticule holdover marks, drop in; inches, MOA and mils. I'm starting to memorise some of them now :)

I had a 1" spinner at 75 yards and a 2" spinner at 100 which I'm happy to say I hit pretty consistently using turret adjustments and holdover for practice with both :)

all in all I'm really happy with the decreasing group sizes :)

Ben, there is an old sying practice makes perfect as I'm sure you know. One of my contract buddies has a little different saying. He used to say perfect practice makes prefection because if you practice and your doing things wrong well you will only get so good. So my advise is to make sure your doing all the things right. Make sure your scope is mounted correctly, hold the gun level, breathe with the shots, keep both eyes open, hold the rifle steady and firm. Like your true 
love....and so on etc...you get the idea. Shoot straight Ben and keep up the good work....Steve

Ben,

If you don't have one, you should invest in an anti-cant device such as a rail mounted bubble level. I find them invaluable when shooting at long range.It's a great way to improve your accuracy. If you have BKL mounts, you should try the BKL Scope Bubble Level ($19.99) which screws into the mount.

Another good level is the Hawke Optics Scope Bubble Level ($17.99) which attaches to the rail.

Regards,
Scott

Thanks for the responses both of you. I did buy the Hawke level but unfortunately it doesn't sit right on the rail if the bobcat, I think the lower part of the rail is too chunky and it ends up tipped up on an angle.

i will have a look for another option and order one. Looking at my groups, would you say that is some of my problem? 

Thanks

"Ben10"Thanks for the responses both of you. I did buy the Hawke level but unfortunately it doesn't sit right on the rail if the bobcat, I think the lower part of the rail is too chunky and it ends up tipped up on an angle.

Grind it down! :)

Most of the dovetail levels do not "agree" with the styling of FX rails. You need to get out your dremmel and trim a little fat off that level. About 2 minutes of work will get it seated flat.

It looks like the reply I made above to Steve, Scott and Ted has vanished :s

never mind it was only a thank you to everyone. 

I have now took the dremel to the Hawke level and fitted It to the bobcat. I have only shot at 55 yards as a test but the groups tightened up to what my previous "Good days shooting" we're. So thank you to everyone for the great suggestion!

i will test properly at long range later In the week and see how I do.

there seems to always be one odd flyer in my groups that is a bit wild. I will try setting the chrono up and see if I can see any differences in fps on the flyer shots but other than that does anyone have any ideas??

"Ben10"there seems to always be one odd flyer in my groups that is a bit wild. I will try setting the chrono up and see if I can see any differences in fps on the flyer shots but other than that does anyone have any ideas??
Hello Ben
Unless you are already weighing your pellets, I would think that the cause of your flyers are the slight differences in the weight and shape of the pellet.
The weight is an easy fix...just weigh them...When shooting at distance, 1/10 of a grain can make a difference in point of impact when shooting at 100 yards
Also the shape of the pellets head size might be larger or smaller. I have noticed that in tins of JSB's the head size could vary in a .22 cal from 5.51-5.54. You have to get a feel when loading your pellets into the breach to get a sense if the pellets is too loose or too tight when going into the barrel.
You will not get this sense of feeling if you are using a magazine to load the rifle.
If you get a sense that the pellet is going in too easily or is really tough to load...then waste that shot into the ground and use another pellet.
Some members use a roll test to determine the irregularities in the pellet...you simply roll the pellet down an incline and check for the smoothness of the roll...if the pellets has a lopped-sided wobble to it...use that pellet for short distances, or chrony testing.
Hope this helps
Mike

Reactions: cubo
This has been a great thread. Got to get one of those bubble levels. I was out early this morning ( dead calm) shooting my cricket .25 at 50 yds. One 3 shot group at 5/16" and another 5 shot at 1/2". The rest where between 1/2-1". I shot 10 groups of 5. What's frustrating is when you get the first three in1/4" and the last two open the group to 3/4" or even an inch. I am amazed how pressure on the grip shoulder is so important. I can't fully figure out why. I then went out an hour later and shot a few more groups and the point of impact changed. I am the only that finds that POI changes from one shooting session to the next? 

Thanks Mike. I can usually feel a reallytight pellet as I close the side lever and I usually do waste it. I Don't catch them all though. 

I may be wrong but I think the flyer is too far from the group for it to just be a weight inconsistency. I'm getting it happen at 50 yards even and it is upto an inch.

it may be time for a barrel clean too and see if that helps. i will also give wegiving a try and see how I get on

BEN10,

I think your off to a great start and i love your enthusiam and willingness to "STRETCH" things further and test yourself. I only have a few things to add:
1, Clean the barrel. Airguns get real sensistive to EVERYTHING when you push them out to 100 yards and further
2. Sort and Weigh your pellets. Again, airguns are real sensitive when you push the distance.
3. ****Hold your gun consistently throughout the group. Find out if your gun is hold sensitive. Shoulder it/Grip it loose and shoot a group then grip it pretty taught and shoot a group.****

Keep up the good shooting

Tofazfou

Reactions: manabeknives
Thanks Tofaz. 

I think I have a lot of work to do on my consistency. I need to take my time and concentrate more to really get the groups I want. 

I also need to invest in a proper pull through and patches for cleaning my barrel better than just felt pellets. 

My biggest problem has surfaced today though... My gun has for some reason lost some speed. I ran it over the chrono and it was pushing just under 850fps... I had set it to 900-905 about 3 weeks ago and loctited the adjustment screw just a little to hold it still. I also put a marker pen line vertically so that I could see if it moved ever. 

After it it reading low on the chrono today I took it apart and checked my marker pen line. It haddnt moved, so I am stuck now with what it could be... I haven't changed anything at all on the gun since I loctited the HST down. And haven't moved the shroud so I doubt I could have moved transfer port out of alignment. 

One last things, it low on speed but it's consistent so I don't think it will be a breech seal issue... Does anyone have any ideas?