600 Yards with Altaros .22 Airgun

Hello,

I would like introduce to you ( so far only the prototype ) our new PCP airgun in caliber. 22 with the classic Lothar Walther airgun barrel which shoots our developed and manufactured bullets weigh 35.5 grains and BC 0.14 .

With this airgun was the first shot in 2011 and since then has been gradually evolving. We as the world's leading manufacturer of airgun pressure regulators ( https://www.altaros.cz ) developed and manufactured a typ regulator for this rifle, which output pressure can be externally tuned ( without the need to disassemble or discharge the air ).

The rifle has been designed so far as one-shot with a direct plug-in bullet into the barrel, but in the future there will be also a magazin version.

This rifle was first introduced at our stand at the World HFT Championships 2018 Choltice, Czech Republic where our Altaros company was a proud sponsor .

Here's a video of our rifle and bullets shooting at 600 yards (550m) :

https://youtu.be/Gnw2UUO5RLY

Later, I add a video at a shorter distance of 400 yards where it is better to see targeting and impact.

Mod Edit: Moved to Dealer/Manufacturer News & Announcement section. 

Reactions: TenTen
I'm glad you like the video and the rifle. You probably understand why it is my favorite PCP airgun for many years.

Here is just a few photos from another angle that I made in this summer when I first tested rifle painting. Other photos I have not done yet, since the serial version M24 airguns we are planning to prepare in the second half of this year . Currently we have a lot of work to complete the semi-auto airgun. Right now its only missing testet each rifle on target for the entire first series of this rifles and the rifles should be ready for customers. More information about the semi-auto airgun will be given to the newly created section on our website within 1-2 weeks.

1548356093_9198867395c4a09fdad4558.82606702_airgun-resample.jpg

1548356268_12596554395c4a0aac12a148.97513147_ALTAROS  (2).png

1548356315_47812675c4a0adbc8dff4.94614861_ALTAROS  (1).png

.22 LR unfortunately can not by so well used for very long distances because it misses the good consistency of the muzzle velocity. For repeatable good accurate shooting, is the minimum requirement to + - 3fps. and much more convenient is + - 1.5 fps, and preferably without exception, therefore almost always.

.22 LR even with the use of the best cartridges (ELEY, RWS), the requirement for such a consistency of the velocity speed does not reach and usually reaching several times worse results.

I have a cople videos which I need to cut and publish where I measured muzzle velocity consistency for 11 bullets up to 0.5ms (between the fastest and slowest missile there is no difference as much as 0.5ms = 1.64 fps ) and yet a calculated mathematical error, without a shooter error, and regardless of physical reality, which is always worse, it will make a change in impact on a target of 16.6cm (6.5 inches) per 600 yard for my actual muzzle velocity 263ms. For this reason I want another next prototype M24 improve to reach 290ms or faster muzzle speeds which will reduce deviation of impact.

For .22LR would be an error affecting this distance, assuming a consistency of muzzle velocity of + - 3ms (about + - 10 fps) about 2m (78 inches). So you would need a target of 2m in order to be a mathematical assumption of a certain hit on the target, only with respect to the muzzle velocity deviation. If you add a shooter error and the wind that can blow up, you need an even bigger target.

I would also like to mention the SWFA 16x42 riflescope that I got from the USA before almost 2 year thanks to the shooter who uses the nickname KnifeMaker and I thank him again. This riflescope was a piece of puzzle who missed to rifle to make SWS- sniper weapon system in airgun world. The MIL / MIL system is perfect for the european accustomed to the metric system and the ability to set up to 30 Mrad-100MOA gave the rifle new possibilities. The guaranteed exact repeatability of elevation settings is equally important and works perfectly. Maybe just magnification16x starts to be a bit inadequate to better observe the impact of the bullet and eventually hit the target.

I got the type for this SWFA riflesope when I watching the great youtube 101 Sniper series from TiborasaurusRex that is focused on Long range shotign from firearms, but many things can also be moved to the airgun shoting .

Currently I draw additional information from book : Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz where there is also a lot of interesting information that helps me in my development and research for my projects.

An addition to .22 LR data is true for a fixed speed of about 263ms (the same as I used on video). If, of course, will have muzzle velocity around 320ms, so the difference in height on the target will be much better (difference of about 80cm (31 inches) but still not good enough.

At higher speed I would again be afraid of the transition from supersonic speed to subsonic, which could destabilize the missile. 

.22 LR I'm not shooting, so I'm just starting out from ballistic data and speed differences that were publicly available.

Altaros,

Thank you very much for the information regarding .22LR [so I / we can compare]
That is actually very helpful, and I love to learn new things like that!
*I was using CCI and Eley 

The .17HMR is another Very Fun round, and IMO, more efficient than my .22LR 
due to the fact that at the same distance, it seemed to be a much straighter projectile - vs the .22 arc.

Sorry - Back to Air Rifles. 😜

It is so nice to hear that you guys are so close to having all of your rifles out.
I'm sure they'll be great fun to test, and, I'm sure that everyone will love them!

*Thumbs Up*

Sam -

To alamih: thank you for complimenting the appearance of the rifle . Yes, that was the main intention that the airgun looked like a real weapon. In the past, I also made a copy of the Walher WA 2000 rifle in semi-automatic mode and caliber .177. That WA 2000 was the ancestor of the upcoming semi-auto airgun and maybe one day will be the serial production of these WA 2000 .

This is a cutout from a photo of a child's day of 2013, where we every year left for free the children shoot to familiarize themselves with modern airgun. 

In photo is a colleague Michal, WA 2000 in left and the old AirArms S400 and some nice lady :)

1548416573_898760385c4af63dd736d6.01826481_Walther WA 2000- Altaros airgun.png

I made a new video where you can see M24 airgun in the action at 400 yards.

I apologize in advance for my English. I studied at high school and college a different language that English and during and after school I have spent all my free time with things about airgun so I never learned English. I must to correct that language skills, but when you live for airgun, you just do it to the fullest. 

https://youtu.be/6cGNMkHcPb8

On the serial production of the M24 rifles we are still working and optimistic date is the second half of this year.

I do not want to estimate the price because there are a number of variables without the first series production. I personally want to point the price to midl range.

I also do not want to publish too much data, but some I publish here:

The maximum pressure will be 250 bar and maybe even 300 bar. With a current maximum pressure of 250 bar, it is possible get 40 consistent shots for JSB .22 18.1 grain at 273ms - 900fps for one airtube fill.
Currently is the rifle set that have with our .22 bullet 80J / 60fpe and it is possible to shoot 10 consistent shots per fill. Output power for the new version it should go a bit up .