60 some dead coyotes and a couple bobcats 1983 photo before going to market

This is me in 1983 just before leaving the desert to go to fur market.

This is non airgun feel free to move it if needed.

Roachcreek

1575068546_1858513195de1a382f38069.98606199_E94E9F94-DE91-487A-96BF-35B3BAF2178D.jpeg

The hide season, when the furs had value, from about mid October to the first of the year. You would think coyote fur would not loose it’s prime in mid winter, but when breeding season starts, around the first of the year, the fur “breaks” and you can’t give it away to the fur buyers. So it was a 3 month or less time period.

The cat and coyote furs on the bike were my 13 year olds catch the stretcher with the skin out was how we dried the hides to keep them from rotting.

I started calling coyotes when I was 13, on my dad’s ranch in Central Oregon. These pictures are from Se Oregon.

Roachcreek

1575078043_1377251225de1c89bb84266.94158301_3CAAB5CD-B2C4-436F-B189-C5E8A2941DF6.jpeg

They were all taken in the daylight by using a mouth call.

I lived in Feilds ,population 12 including myself and my wife, we did this two years. First year I averaged 58 dollars per dog 250 to 300 per cat, then the price really took a drop, we had better furs the next year and averaged 30 a pelt, but the cats stayed the same.

the third year we had a baby, so we moved to Burns. I started chasing the dogs on the Catlow desert with a couple Ruskies, think of them as 30 mph pit bulls. I could drive for 2 days and never see the dust of another vehicle, it is probably still that way.

Roachcreek

I bought a huge male from a breeder. She used him to dissuade males from town that came around when her females were in heat. She said he would jump the fence and go after the dogs..

I used them on the Catlow Desert where the Roaring Springs ranch winter their cows that were calving .

The Catlow is an ancient lake bed so you can run down the coyotes and shoot them out the window with a shotgun, but I used the Ruskies. I would drive up to about 200 yards behind the fleeing coyote, those hounds meanwhile are going berserk, slam on the breaks and open the passenger door and off they would go. They would catch the coyote and hit him before he made another 200 yards, it reminded me of video of miissles shooting down fighters, they were that fast. After hitting them with their chest, they bit down behind the shoulders and shook the dog to death. After skinning they looked like they had been shot with a 300 mag.

Roachcreek