• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

50+ yards group thread

Happened upon this thread looking for other RAW owners. I recently just got my RAW HM1000x .30. Have been testing it as much as I can as im going to use it for longer range hunting. So learning my holdovers at multiple ranges. Here's 2 5 shot groups at 50yd groups with the JSB 44gr pellets. 1st on top and for some reason my first shot was a flyer to the left and then other 4 nice and tight to the right. Bottom one is a nice whole the size of a dime :) im really loving this gun. I like it so much I ended up putting an order in for a HM1000x in .25 with the Sporter stock in buckskin!

Been messing around a lot lately with my rest, my hold, my scope, etc, etc. Got some bench time late yesterday and shot this beauty! Really happy with this card. It's super hard to read the wind on this range, you can put out (1) flag at no more than 5y and you can put a piece of tape on your frame.

Rifle: RAW BM500x shooting at 100y, the largest ring is 1.5"

I finally got some time to spend with my new RAW HM1000x 30 cal today. It was calm at the beginning, but the wind picked up a bit later in the morning. It is surprising how much the POI shifts with just a little breeze. I found that out when shooting the 100M EBR target. Once I got the hang of it, I was stacking pellets into the 10 and 9 ring pretty well. CK is a better wind doper than me. I got another 10 shot target that was decent too. One shot got away from me. I was using JSB 44.75 gr pellets and shot off a sandbag. Velocity was 876 fps. I don't like shooting off a bipod. Glad I didn't spend big $$ for one of those Atlas things. I need more time with this beast.

I put a paper target over one of the round plywood discs a friend gave me and shot these two groups at 50yds. Removed the paper afterwards to better see the holes.

One on left is at 50 yds....one on right at 52.5 yds. More than 10 pellets in each hole. I lost count because I was checking my hold over for those two distances and paying more attention to holdover than shot count. Had the 2 inch Shoot-n-c targets up there and was just trying to stay inside an inch for FT accuracy ;-)
Damn ......blew right through that plywood too? I believe it was 5/8 plywood. 13.4 grain .177 cal pellets at 820 FPS can do some damage at 50 yds

When I can cover 50 yd 10 shot groups with a dime I'm happy.

What barrel were you shooting thre 13.4's out of? I'm currently shooting them at 770 out of a LW Polygon and while they are very accurate at 20 yards, I wonder if a little more speed would be needed for stability at 50 yards. Would you say that 820 is on the lower end for speed with that pellet, or have you shot it slower with similar results? Nice groups by the way!

"chasdicapua"What barrel were you shooting thre 13.4's out of? I'm currently shooting them at 770 out of a LW Polygon and while they are very accurate at 20 yards, I wonder if a little more speed would be needed for stability at 50 yards. Would you say that 820 is on the lower end for speed with that pellet, or have you shot it slower with similar results? Nice groups by the way!
Chas
It's the standard twist polygon barrel on a Thomas FT rifle.
820 FPS is my absolute max for FT because I have to stay at or below 20 FPE.
The have a 2% allowance for variances in Chronograph readings so I'm actually allowed 20.4 and that would be 827 FPS. So at 820 FPS I feel pretty safe to be able to stay under their limits.
I've shot it at 800 FPS with similar results but prefer as flat a trajectory as I can get for FT which is why I choose 820.

BR TARGET @ 28 yds

"Dirte"

A little bit of cross thread posting from my initial new gun thread.
We had a break in the weather, so first try (card) with my new .25 RAW. 50 yards, 48 shots with 3 per target. Still need to do some adjustments to the gun. I only have about a 100 pellets through it at this point.
great start Dirte, little suggestion from past experience, out the rest on the wood, bad harmonics resting on the bottle, I did this and I thought Martin was going hit me!

"Salticon"
great start Dirte, little suggestion from past experience, out the rest on the wood, bad harmonics resting on the bottle, I did this and I thought Martin was going hit me!
Dirte since you have a rail get or make a bag rider for her... This is the one I made using some cheap rings off Amazon and a piece of scrap wood.

Reactions: Dirte
"Dirte"
"jps2486"I made a wood adapter like that except i used toilet hold down bolts, the heads of which fit into the gun's accessory rail.
I would like to see it.

i made this from 3 inch wide by 1/2 inch oak that I bought from Home Depot. You can make it any length to suit your needs. As you can see it goes far enough forward to protect the air bottle.

Reactions: Dirte
"jps2486"
"Dirte"
"jps2486"I made a wood adapter like that except i used toilet hold down bolts, the heads of which fit into the gun's accessory rail.
I would like to see it.

i made this from 3 inch wide by 1/2 inch oak that I bought from Home Depot. You can make it any length to suit your needs. As you can see it goes far enough forward to protect the air bottle.

Thanks! I was curious how you secured it under the block. I see you just recessed the bolts.