• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

50+ yards group thread

Time to experiment by playing with some distance. Today, 75 yards. Well, honestly, 72.5 by the Nikon rangefinder. Couldn't move the target stand halfway up the dirt berm so 72.5 it is. The experimenting was to see how far down I could take the RAW's air pressure before the point of impact changed. It seems that the "sweet spot" is 150-190 BAR. Above 200 and the POI is actually lower... Trying to figure that one out. I haven't started sorting out pellets by weight yet. Straight from the JSB tin for now.

The first two are 5-shot groups, mostly while sorting out the POI from the zero'ing in at 50 yards yesterday. 

Everyone loves a "flier" - NOT!

And a 9-shot group next:

"Salticon"How you like that scope?
I do like it. I have (on my firearms) a variety of scopes including Leupold, Bushnell, Nikon and Sightron. The Vortex is clear, easy to focus and acquire a good sight picture, and reasonably priced. (One of my clients is a large gun store. The manager made the recommendation for my use on the RAW with a very sweet price.)

The medium scope rings just barely clear the moderator for a perfect placement. My 50 and 75-yard shooting is at 16x, zero'ed for 50 yards and compensating for drop using the reticle.

"rivers" Above 200 and the POI is actually lower... Trying to figure that one out.

So what happens sometimes is that the valve closes faster when the pressure is higher. At 190 bar the valve might take just a little longer to close than at 200 bar. That means that you can get less air past the valve, even though the pressure is higher, because the valve is open for less time. One of the solutions to this (if you want your gun to shoot harder) is to increase the preload on your hammer spring. That is not intended to imply that this is a problem. It isn't.

I'm not an expert but that might be it. Probably the best thing to do is shoot it and enjoy it for a while before fiddling with it too much.

"oldspook"
"rivers" Above 200 and the POI is actually lower... Trying to figure that one out.

So what happens sometimes is that the valve closes faster when the pressure is higher. At 190 bar the valve might take just a little longer to close than at 200 bar. That means that you can get less air past the valve, even though the pressure is higher, because the valve is open for less time. One of the solutions to this (if you want your gun to shoot harder) is to increase the preload on your hammer spring.

I'm not an expert but that might be it. Probably the best thing to do is shoot it and enjoy it for a while before fiddling with it too much.
Isn't it regulated?

"Salticon"Did some 100 yards practice tonight, still trying to get know the rifle and make friends. Trying different hold, pressure, bipod, sandbags, grip etc...
still got a lot to learn, but it's a blast doing it!
.30 Hm1000x
44gr jsb
8-32 hawk scope 
Very impressive! The most important part of your post with which I agree is that it's a blast!

I'm curious what air pressure range is the most consistently accurate on your .30 HM1000x.

"Salticon"
"oldspook"

So what happens sometimes is that the valve closes faster when the pressure is higher. At 190 bar the valve might take just a little longer to close than at 200 bar. That means that you can get less air past the valve, even though the pressure is higher, because the valve is open for less time. One of the solutions to this (if you want your gun to shoot harder) is to increase the preload on your hammer spring.

Isn't it regulated?
Welp, I don't know but if it is you can disregard that idea because I don't think it would be likely to apply.

"oldspook"
"Salticon"Did some 100 yards practice tonight, still trying to get know the rifle and make friends. Trying different hold, pressure, bipod, sandbags, grip etc...
.30 Hm1000x
44gr jsb
8-32 hawk scope 

A fine rifle in the hands of a fine marksman.
Thanks Spook, that's pretty cool!!

"rivers"
.30 Hm1000x
44gr jsb
8-32 hawk scope 
Very impressive! The most important part of your post with which I agree is that it's a blast!

I'm curious what air pressure range is the most consistently accurate on your .30 HM1000x.
Thanks bud!,
i fill to 230 bar ----> 150 bar, no poi change. If it does I blame myself..

Here are my efforts from yesterday. Winds were variable from 6-12 mph, an average day in the high desert of NW Arizona. The 1st target was getting acquainted with my FX Impact in .22 at 50 yds. The 2nd target shows my effort and education in dealing with wind. I was trying to use positions on the target as my POA instead of using MOA dots.
002.jpg
003_1.jpg

Performed a little 50yrd target shooting on Sunday with my Discovery, of the three 5 shot groups I shot my best is below.

FWRgzhQ.jpg

​While not at the same level of some higher performing rifles on display in this thread, still I thought for a 1inch center to center it wasn't half bad for a budget pointed pellet from a Discovery, I think I could have improved a bit if conditions were a little better.

Charles

"Chachoze"Performed a little 50yrd target shooting on Sunday with my Discovery, of the three 5 shot groups I shot my best is below.

FWRgzhQ.jpg

​While not at the same level of some higher performing rifles on display in this thread, still I thought for a 1inch center to center it wasn't half bad for a budget pointed pellet from a Discovery, I think I could have improved a bit if conditions were a little better.

Charles
I think you did great! Of course, for probably everyone of us, there's always something, a scope or rifle or pellets or gas or whatever, that we imagine will magically make us amazingly accurate shooters. The most important thing is that you're enjoying the challenge and competing against yourself. Good shooting!

"rivers"
"Chachoze"Performed a little 50yrd target shooting on Sunday with my Discovery, of the three 5 shot groups I shot my best is below.

FWRgzhQ.jpg

Charles
I think you did great! Of course, for probably everyone of us, there's always something, a scope or rifle or pellets or gas or whatever, that we imagine will magically make us amazingly accurate shooters. The most important thing is that you're enjoying the challenge and competing against yourself. Good shooting!
Dude! Discos are awesome! I got one that I've regulated,FFH and trigger sear. Tuned at 14fpe I get 45 consistent shots. I love shooting that thing!! Well done!!