• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

50+ yards group thread

Put a new Hawke 10-50x60 on my RAW BM500x yesterday and decided to shot a 25m card at 100y with it for grins. As it turned out it is a good example of what pellet preparation and sorting will do for you! Wind was vary comparable between these separate sessions.

100y with FX 46gr unsorted straight out of the tin.

100y with FX 46gr sized and sorted

"Sam63"Awesome 100 yard card Percula. 100 yards is a long way for a pellet. Do you like the Hawke ED Sidewinder? Does it have a 12x setting?

The Frontier 30 SF did not have a 12x marking on it. Photo is the 12x on the Frontier not legal for hunter class in FT.
Yep 100y on both cards. I regularly compete at this distance so...

Yes the 10-50x60 has a 12x mark.

I have a 8-32x56 Hawke too. The new 10-50x60 doesn't focus as clearly on max magnification as the 8-32x56. I talked to a club member that had a worse issue with focus clarity and he ended up sending it in for service. As far as I know all worked out well. The clarity I'm seeing is "okay", so I'm debating rather if I want to part with it for the time to service it or live with the "soft focus" I have now.

Otherwise I am LOVING it! I have another on back order with the 1/8 MOA turrets for my Thomas. The reticle is VERY nice, super fine, well laid out. The range I was shooting at goes into the dark, has lights and such, but at best anything 50y+ is "dimly lit", so I played with the IR on the rheostat too, and oh my I like that. On my 8-32x56 its a stepped setting, and I could never really get a not too dim or not too bright with it, but with the rheostat I can dial it just right.

I have the side wheel on the 8-32x56, well because without it the tightness is more than I want to try and mess with. On the 10-50x60 I left the wheel in the box, very easy to adjust by hand, firm enough that I wouldn't worry if I had a belted magnum recoil to move it. I looked at the new method for attaching the side wheel and really like it over the slip over method on the 8-32x56. All in all happy customer.

"CampFussell"Wow, Perc. The sized and sorted made a heck of a difference! Every single one of those 25 shots are under 1.5 inches! Probably sub 1 inch group if they were all grouped?
I try not to think of it that way, but then again that's the point of shooting 25 bulls and not 25 shots at a bull.

When I shot a group, aka I shoot X shots at the same spot, I'm looking to find the consistency of my gun, my pellets, my environment. My POA doesn't change between shots.

When I shot a group of bulls, aka I shot one shot at each bull, I'm looking to find my ability using the consistency available to me. My POA is going to be different on each bull to try to place the shot as close to center as possible based on available information. 

So for example I have shot 3-10 shot groups at 100m on sighters that were so close that at 50x you question if the pellet went through the same hole or was a wild flyer and landed out of your view. 

At this point I've pretty much given up the idea of shooting multi-shot groups for anything other than testing a pellet. I know that these high(er) quality rifles like the RAW and Thomas under ideal conditions with ideal pellets will print ragged little holes at just about any distance you'd want to shot them at. As long as you maintain your rifle its call comes down to wind, pellets and the shooter. We can't stop the wind, we can only learn what it does to our pellets. We can't find every little defect in a pellet that will impact the POI of a pellet. We can control ourselves.

Thanks for the info Percula. The side wheel is a royal pain to install on Sidewinders. I ripped 2 of those heavy duty gaskets. Just ordered a side wheel from Rowan Engineering http://rowanengineering.com/products4.htm for a Sidewinder I will let you know how it works out.

After posting the question another buddy I shot FT with said he wasnt happy with the range finding on 12x after 40 - 45 yards with the Sidewinder ED 10 - 50 x60. He sent it in for repair.

Can you share your new method for installing the side wheel?

Ok guys!, just have to post this, just shot 4- 10 shot groups w/ my tm-1000 @ 52yds, they measure .739, .596, .595, .525! Shooting the jsb 13.4's unsorted! Straight from tin... I am extremely pleased right now!, conditions -wind left to right 5mph,light rain,50deg new conditions were right for some good groups! These RAWS SHOOT!, the more rnds the better it shoots, boycotting photobucket... but will text pics if u want to see them!

"Sam63"Thanks for the info Percula. The side wheel is a royal pain to install on Sidewinders. I ripped 2 of those heavy duty gaskets. Just ordered a side wheel from Rowan Engineering http://rowanengineering.com/products4.htm for a Sidewinder I will let you know how it works out.

After posting the question another buddy I shot FT with said he wasnt happy with the range finding on 12x after 40 - 45 yards with the Sidewinder ED 10 - 50 x60. He sent it in for repair.

Can you share your new method for installing the side wheel?
Its not my method, they changed the way the wheel goes on. On my 8-23x56 its got that thick rubber ring with the slots that slides over the IR wheel and on to the focus wheel then you tighten it up with a couple of small allen screws.

On the 10-50x60 you remove a cover that has a pattern of holes that the hub of the wheel drops into and then is secured in place. No more of that rubber ring slipping and sliding messing up your indexing. It's in a fixed position on the 10-50x60, no slipping and sliding around. 

"nomojo65"Ok guys!, just have to post this, just shot 4- 10 shot groups w/ my tm-1000 @ 52yds, they measure .739, .596, .595, .525! Shooting the jsb 13.4's unsorted! Straight from tin... I am extremely pleased right now!, conditions -wind left to right 5mph,light rain,50deg new conditions were right for some good groups! These RAWS SHOOT!, the more rnds the better it shoots, boycotting photobucket... but will text pics if u want to see them!
Imgur for the win!

This afternoon, for the most part was a good day for shooting, very lite wind, maybe 5 knots, mostly calm. I shot 3 groups of 8, JSB 25's, 50 yards, from my bench, with my Armada, 2 were all covered by a dime, the 3rd group would have taken a 12 cent piece, and this was in the center of the target. I had to aim about a half mil dot above the center. The hardest part of this was, using the 25 meter target, my Center Point scope lines are so thin (clear ) but they blend into the lines on the target. The Marauder Armada is a very accurate gun.

Then I shot my Marauder .22, Crosman 14.3's. I approached it the same way, starting at 35 yards, 40, 45 and then 50 yards. This gun (gen 1) i've had since 2010, is pretty accurate as well.

Grouped great at all yardages, even at 45 yards the group (10 pellets) could be covered by a dime, except one small flyer, or most likely me. But the best I could do at 50 yards was a quarter group. Several thru the same hole. Again I had to aim about a half Mil Dot high to hit the center of the target.

That last 5 yards definitely made a difference in my group with the 22.

But overall I am happy. As long as the guns are this accurate, and i can hit the center of a 50 yard target or real close to it and hit objects, beer or soda cans out up to about 75 yards i am pleased.

Since this and my indoor basement, 20 yard range is my shooting profile i just can't justify getting a real expensive gun, these Crosman's are good guns.

Maybe if i was 20 years younger, lol.