50 yard springer

Both will do the job IF you can shoot them accurately-the guns are more than capable, but you will need to practice a lot before your able to consistently hit a small vital area at that range. Both are on the heavy side at 8.5 lbs or so, then add a pound for a scope. The weight will help steady the rifle but carrying that much for long distances could get old. In my opinion if you need to reach that far regularly you may want to look at a PCP. A used Marauder & scuba tank would get you going for about the same investment. I shot a Beeman R9 as my only gun for a couple years and was pretty solid to 40-45yds. after about 6 months of daily practice. I ended up with a really accurate used Marauder and a used scuba tank and very soon 65yds. was very doable. In my opinion springers really shine at 30-35yds. and closer. I still shoot my R9 regularly as the follow through required to hit with a springer will keep your skills sharp, not to mention being self contained and just plain fun!
Here's my trusty R9 with a mixed bag:

And here's the Marauder:

YES, either will do the job, "12fpe" is all you need for small game out to 50 yards. But do not over look the .177, it will shoot a bit flatter making correct shot placement a bit easier. I am not certain why but in competition I see all most all TX's and hardly any Hw's. For the TX would be the choice as it is likely the easiest of all springer to work on at home if ever needed.

John

"loud3803"I do fair to midland with my Benjamin Trail NP2 at 50 yards and your choices are far better than what I have.
They're also twice the price. And no doubt you get what you pay for. But I'd suggest that the OP make sure a springer is really what he wants to spend a nice chunk of change on. My Trail NP was just enough gun to get me hooked and make me want to go out and drop two grand on a PCP. :)

Wow thank you all so much for all the help and replies. John ! in regards to a .177 I do have a R-9 I am told is made by HW. I have not shot it enough to mention . I have made an appointment to drop it off at the Guys from Pomona Air Guns for a full service , lube and tune. Mostly because it has sat in the safe for 10-15 years. I decided on a .22 for hunting and am thinking I do not wish to rely on extra gear in the field. I have many high end .22lr long guns , Anschutz , CZ , Volquartsen . I don't mind paying for quality but just didn't want to jump off into a Daystate or Air Arms S510 without first knowing I would enjoy air gun hunting. As it stands todays group's with the R-9 resembled something much like a shotgun pattern. LOL . It can I hope only get better. Thanks again guys.

Bob

Yea buddy ! there are lots of choices. I have to say though , these folks are some seriously nice helpful people. I am joining the CASA and will take the R-9 down to a couple field Target matches (hunter Class) I am hoping to sharpen the Air Gun skills and get a first hand look at the performance of the fore-mentioned rifles. Some one mentioned the RWS 350 and 460 magnums ? know anything about them ?

"30cal"The "TX200 mk3" and the "Pro Sport" are two separate models. Both AA and the HW97 are some of the best spring guns made. You have done your home work well. There are more powerful magnum guns that are even more expensive but none are more accurate. I think the TX 200 mk3 is the most popular and is my favorite. I love the looks of that gun!&n
Every springer I ever fired needs a warm up shot or 2 to get dead on accurate. My TX200 us usually about an inch off at 20 yards the first shot or 2, then one hole accurate. Haven't experimented to see how long the warm up lasts. That could cause a lot of vital spot or total misses beyond 20 yards. 

AZ,
I dropped my R-9 off at the LGS yesterday for a tune. I was really wanting a .22 cal springer when I walked in there. Then I ended up handling a Daystate Huntsman Regal and a AAS510 walnut. They were absolutely beautiful and I'm hooked. Problem now is I know nothing about PCP. So what is the better choice. Daystate or AAS510. I am going to the local shoot next week for the field target competition. Some of the guys from the CASA have invited me down to check out the different rifles but knowing so little makes it very hard to make a decision. Any thoughts ?

I am with you 30cal. I will attend a few matches with my R-9 then just see how this plays out. As far as price goes, any thing good is generally expensive. I have a few top shelf Anschutz rim fires that were wicked expensive , so I do understand the game. With that said the advice here has been very helpful in keeping me going in the right direction. This PCP will only be used for hunting and informal target work , none the less I still want a great gun as I have found from my Anschutz experience great stuff will usually out perform a mediocre equipment. I am really leaning towards an Air Arms S510 ultimate sporter, but I really need to be sure for that kind of monies. I would not even be considering this and still be using my model 54 Anschutz sporter for small game if ammo had not dried up :( I really want to get decent with my R-9 but the artillery hold seems to be eluding me. I am hoping to get some helpful advice at the match on correct hold and shooting techniques I can practice. For now I am just a new air gunner with a huge smile even if I'm not none too accurate ! Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Bob

DO get to a match! Go more than once, try many rigs and buy used!
I just looked up to see what they call the "Air Arms S510 ultimate sporter" IMO, not a value at all. For the same money much better rifles exist, and if you jump into the used market that AA wont hold a candle to what you can get. We all want something that looks good enough but don't get too hung up on that. IF you need an AA buy used, get the older bolt action with the 16mm shroud and the vastly better trigger. Daystate, same thing, good rifle but for what they cost new?????
Get to a match, another match, keep going until THE rifle you NEED lands in your hands.
Warning there are SO many good pre-charged airguns out there it is easy to spend money before you even fire a great airgun.

Keep us posted and do a write up of the match, always nice to hear new folks opinions and ideas.

John

The quality on the high end PCP's is great, It boils down to personal preference, if you can handle and shoot the ones you like then you can decide what feels right.
If you do decide to stick with a springer look at the RWS 48/52 as well as the 54 ... I have a 52 with a vortek high power tune kit in it, its shooting at 23 FPE and sub 1 inch groups with me shooting it at 30 yards .... a friend of mine gets 1/2 inch groups with it at 30.