50 shots with the BSA R-10 MKII .22, pics, mini review

Hi all! I finally, after about 2 years of ownership, shot a full string over the chrony from my BSA R-10. Here are the unfiltered results, shot with JSB 18.13 grain domed pellets. I'm pretty impressed to say the least and the chrony only confirms what I've thought for a while. This is a super consistent gun. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but I still am not sure what the motivation is for some to replace the factory regulator with an aftermarket one. Maybe it's just because I've put so much lead through it that the regulator has had plenty of time to "bed in". This gun never ceases to impress and while I own or have owned several other more expensive PCP's, this one will likely never leave the stable. It's performance is on par with guns costing twice as much IMHO.

Here is the entire 50 shot string after filling the gun to just under 250 on the pressure gauge. With all 50 shots the results were:

High 842
Low 817
Average 835
Ex spread 25
Stan Dev 4

Not too bad!! 

If we remove the first two shots and the last 5 and take a look at the 43 shots in between, what I guess you could call the "sweet spot", the results are as follows:

High 842
Low 833
Average 837
Ex spread 9!
Stan Dev 2!

Holy moses! That sure is a purdy shot string! haha

Here is a pic of the gauge just so you can see where I stopped shooting. I took the picture because as you can see there are no real good indicators to be able to tell you what pressure I had shot down to. I actually shot more than 50 shots, maybe 55ish, but I deleted the last 5 shots because I was clearly off the regulator at that point. Anyway, if you're interested, it's right about here on the gauge that you'll want to refill.

I was also shooting for groups at 50 yards over the chrony this morning so here is a cherry picked 5 shot group. This was the second group I shot and was the best of the bunch. There were a couple others that were basically one ragged hole also. It was slightly breezy conditions this morning so while the rest of the groups averaged right around 1/2" to 3/4", I don't think they're worth showing because I know the gun does better in calm conditions. The largest groups were about 1" to 1 1/4" but again, slightly breezy, or at least that's the story I'm sticking to ;-)

A couple pics of the gun after shooting this morning.

Reactions: ozone08
Nice set up, and great shooting. Love the new BSA's and I saw the review that Giles did of it on the Airgun gear show. It was a UK 12ft Ib version in .177 but he got a phenomenal amount of very consistent shots from it. I have a .25 Scorpion that is als pretty good, but am considering an R-10 in .22 as well.

I see you removed the shroud and put on a regular mod? Is that a Neil Clague LDC?

Nice review cliff spot on! I have had a R10 MK2 for a while its probably the least expensive air rifle I own the rifle is a pure work horse I have never had a single problem with it I can strip an R10 down to the last bolt blind folded iv stripped it and pretty much polished every nut, bolt and component and have the action working like glass I don't think iv ever taken much pride and energy to into tinkering with my R10 with any other of my air rifles anyway that's how much I love this gun the only thing I didn't like was the length with a MOD fitted so ended up shortening the barrel and the shroud then ended up turning the off cut piece of shroud into a home made MOD so I can screw it back on to make it look standard but a LOT quitter. 

Like you ill never part with this rifle its my old trusted go to gun

"ozone08"Nice review cliff stop on! I have had a R10 MK2 for a while its probably the least expensive air rifle I own the rifle is a pure work horse I have never had a single problem with it I can strip an R10 down to the last bolt blind folded iv stripped it and pretty much polished every nut, bolt and component and have the action working like glass I don't think iv ever taken much pride and energy to into tinkering with my R10 with any other of my air rifles anyway that's how much I love this gun the only thing I didn't like was the length with a MOD fitted so ended up shortening the barrel and the shroud then ended up turning the off cut piece of shroud into a home made MOD so I can screw it back on to make it look standard but a LOT quitter. 

Like you ill never part with this rifle its my old trusted go to gun
ozone, I wish I had your knowledge of how to break the R-10 down so completely. I've heard it is a fairly complicated gun to work on in some regards. Are there any resources you can point me to for me to learn about how to take it apart and put it back together?

Sure here's a vid I just found on y-tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USulUA9IhmQ

I didn't find it particularly complicated at all It might just look that way but its pretty easy and straight forward and once you have done it once or twice it will become second nature. I think you'll find the first time you strip it down you'll notice the grease BSA use turns very sticky and tacky as soon as I cleaned the old lube off and replaced it the rifle's action felt much much crisper to cock and when firing it felt much more efficient, re-stipping and polishing any rough edges to the action internals made it even more of a pleasure to shoot.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Cliff_Allen
A good image of the BSA R-10 internals can be found on the www.airgunspares.com website. Taking it apart has only 1 little trick and that is removing the screw just ahead of the breach attaching the upper action to the lower tube assembly. It is difficult to write about it, and I have found 2 ways to do it. In short, you need to be able to drawn back the bolt sleeve in the action in order to push back an acetal collar just ahead of the breach, to get at the screw I referred to. There is a youtube video on this...sorry I don't have the link. All other items simply unscrew with few allen type wrenches.

BSAs are easy to work on, simple to maintain, parts are easy to get at airgunspares.com, have excellent barrels, and are lower priced than the "exotics". The only "un-exotic" thing about the BSA is the price. A few things I really like about the action used on the R10 and Scorpions, is that the o-ring is on the bolt, not in the barrel. You don't have to worry about scuffing an o-ring, or cleaning solution affecting the o-ring when cleaning the barrel. Also, the air goes into the bolt and then to the pellet. This better directs the air to the back of the pellet, although this is not significant. Accuracy is the same with or without the magazine. Things I would change....BSA uses brass and steel in some places where other manufacturers use aluminum, which adds weight. If BSA would switch over to using some aluminum (7075 would be great), the weight would be reduced. I have owned and worked on Daystate, RWS, Theoben, Air Arms, Crosman and Brocock, and at present, prefer a BSA. I am watching the FX Streamline, but may not bother, and stick with BSA.

Reactions: Cliff_Allen
"ozone08"Sure here's a vid I just found on y-tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USulUA9IhmQ

I didn't find it particularly complicated at all It might just look that way but its pretty easy and straight forward and once you have done it once or twice it will become second nature. I think you'll find the first time you strip it done you'll notice the grease BSA use turns very sticky and tacky as soon as I cleaned the old lube off and replaced it the rifle's action felt much much crisper to cock and when firing it felt much more efficient, re-stipping and polishing any rough edges to the action internals made it even more of a pleasure to shoot.

Hope this helps
Thanks so much Ozone! I'm going to watch this later when I get home from work!

"bobseagles"A good image of the BSA R-10 internals can be found on the www.airgunspares.com website. Taking it apart has only 1 little trick and that is removing the screw just ahead of the breach attaching the upper action to the lower tube assembly. It is difficult to write about it, and I have found 2 ways to do it. In short, you need to be able to drawn back the bolt sleeve in the action in order to push back an acetal collar just ahead of the breach, to get at the screw I referred to. There is a youtube video on this...sorry I don't have the link. All other items simply unscrew with few allen type wrenches.

BSAs are easy to work on, simple to maintain, parts are easy to get at airgunspares.com, have excellent barrels, and are lower priced than the "exotics". The only "un-exotic" thing about the BSA is the price. A few things I really like about the action used on the R10 and Scorpions, is that the o-ring is on the bolt, not in the barrel. You don't have to worry about scuffing an o-ring, or cleaning solution affecting the o-ring when cleaning the barrel. Also, the air goes into the bolt and then to the pellet. This better directs the air to the back of the pellet, although this is not significant. Accuracy is the same with or without the magazine. Things I would change....BSA uses brass and steel in some places where other manufacturers use aluminum, which adds weight. If BSA would switch over to using some aluminum (7075 would be great), the weight would be reduced. I have owned and worked on Daystate, RWS, Theoben, Air Arms, Crosman and Brocock, and at present, prefer a BSA. I am watching the FX Streamline, but may not bother, and stick with BSA.
Thank you Bob, it is encouraging to hear from someone with experience that it's an easy gun to work on! I'm going to check this site out later tonight as well!

"ozone08"Your welcome for the link Cliff, also if you're interested your Regulator witch I recommend you do pm me and ill point you to the site you can buy one they are far far more consistent really easy to install and easily adjustable it will pretty much make the R10 perform as good as it ever could.
Thanks again ozone! I'm not sure I want to mess with the stock regulator. I'm getting 43 shots in a row with an extreme spread of only 9fps and a standard deviation of only 2. With the stock regulator it is the most consistent gun I've ever owned. Check out the graph I put up in the OP.

If you ever get a chance, just out of curiosity, I'd love to see a shot string from the after market regulator in your BSA, I've heard they perform really well also.