50 Caliber Texan,, 45 Caliber Slugs

Okay first and foremost Credit to upnorthairgunner I am filching some of his basic concepts but bringing it back to the light side of the forcešŸ˜‚ or at least the poormans side. So I got my 50 Cal in Friday evening but ran into a little hickup my .50 bullets from Mr Hollowpoint was still in transit (My Fault did order as soon as I should have) So here I am,..with DA BEAST and no lead that will fit it.... I bet I have close to 50 pounds of .457 lead laying around but no .50Ā 

I also hunt black powder and have plenty of .50 sabot though after seeing upnorths vids
giphy.1599567519.gif

I grabbed the ridgebackĀ sabotĀ like a drowning manĀ grabs a lifeboat along with some 320 grain huntersupply wadcutters and headed for the door

They work pretty darn good. I only had one tank of air available and was shooting during my lunch break so I could not put a lot of time in it but I was getting 1 1/2 inch groups at 75 yards on a 5 shot string with disengagement at about 10 yards I also tried some of my BP rounds on a whim they did not do bad but I do not know how well they would perform in gelĀ 

By the way @UpNorthAirgunner grab some traditions red ridgebacks and try them, They have a longer skirt than the black sabots you are using that this meansĀ that on exit the petals will open easier andĀ will disengage faster than your black ones willĀ see if they don't improve your accuracyĀ 

I will say that I think the ridgebacks and .458 would do even better and engage the lands better as you can see from the spent sabot there is engagement but I did notice one of the shots was oblong on paperĀ 

1.1599567151.jpg
2.1599567151.jpg
4.1599567152.jpg

Love it Need more shooting time its been crazy busy Bores Nest has two major events in October plus we are hosting some guest at the river so I am running like a chicken with his head cut off trying to get ready for it ( I hate waiting till the last minute) and we have a Uncle EarlsĀ Hog bay in WinnfieldĀ LA that I need to get our dogs ready forĀ 

I will get some more time to put it on the Chrony get ready for deer season

Okay first and foremost Credit to upnorthairgunner I am filching some of his basic concepts but bringing it back to the light side of the forcešŸ˜‚ or at least the poormans side. So I got my 50 Cal in Friday evening but ran into a little hickup my .50 bullets from Mr Hollowpoint was still in transit (My Fault did order as soon as I should have) So here I am,..with DA BEAST and no lead that will fit it.... I bet I have close to 50 pounds of .457 lead laying around but no .50Ā 

I also hunt black powder and have plenty of .50 sabot though after seeing upnorths vids
giphy.1599567519.gif

I grabbed the ridgebackĀ sabotĀ like a drowning manĀ grabs a lifeboat along with some 320 grain huntersupply wadcutters and headed for the door

They work pretty darn good. I only had one tank of air available and was shooting during my lunch break so I could not put a lot of time in it but I was getting 1 1/2 inch groups at 75 yards on a 5 shot string with disengagement at about 10 yards I also tried some of my BP rounds on a whim they did not do bad but I do not know how well they would perform in gelĀ 

By the way @UpNorthAirgunner grab some traditions red ridgebacks and try them, They have a longer skirt than the black sabots you are using that this meansĀ that on exit the petals will open easier andĀ will disengage faster than your black ones willĀ see if they don't improve your accuracyĀ 

I will say that I think the ridgebacks and .458 would do even better and engage the lands better as you can see from the spent sabot there is engagement but I did notice one of the shots was oblong on paperĀ 

1.1599567151.jpg
2.1599567151.jpg
4.1599567152.jpg

That is awesome! It is cool that further testing is in fact showing Sabot'd slugs in fact can work in these guns! I was told previously that the results were horrible. I am finding that to be totally false! Make sure to check out my other video shooting .40 Lehighs sabot'd in the .457! Deer hunting accurate out to 75 yards!Ā 

https://youtu.be/mxBRz6W4Qj8

@UpNorthAirGunner

I got some Lehigh 458 Muzzle Loaders and Some 458 Target RoundsĀ 

https://www.lehighdefense.com/all/458-260gr-xtreme-penetrator-muzzleloader-bulletĀ 

Sunday I tried the Muzzle Loaders out at 100 Yards and started seeing some tumbling with an opened group of about 5 inches but that was with the Black Sabot I ran out of my Ridgebacks and could not find a store with any.Ā 

I need to tether up and run these at 3200psi I noticed that these are very particular about fps I am sure this is due to the separation of the sabot from the bullet. They rate these at 700fps and up for stable flight so I see no reason why they cannot be run as we both know that the Texan Carbon Fiber .50 runs well up and over into the 950fps range for 260grĀ 

Our deer season for guns does not open up till Nov so I still have some testing timeĀ 

That is awesome! It is cool that further testing is in fact showing Sabot'd slugs in fact can work in these guns! I was told previously that the results were horrible. I am finding that to be totally false! Make sure to check out my other video shooting .40 Lehighs sabot'd in the .457! Deer hunting accurate out to 75 yards!

I know this is an old topic but thanks to the internet Iā€™m just now going down the big bore rabbit hole. I see you have posted about the sabot rounds. I was thinking about it and one other way that would open up more options would be using ā€œpaper patchingā€ slightly undersized slugs. This is often used in muzzle loaders and I have read some of the forms and they report really good accuracy results. I really think it could be really good for airguns. I might try it out.