50 Caliber Texan,, 45 Caliber Slugs

Forums Big Bores & Arrow Shooters 50 Caliber Texan,, 45 Caliber Slugs

• Views : 138
  • Link

Willie14228
    Participant

Okay first and foremost Credit to upnorthairgunner I am filching some of his basic concepts but bringing it back to the light side of the force😂 or at least the poormans side. So I got my 50 Cal in Friday evening but ran into a little hickup my .50 bullets from Mr Hollowpoint was still in transit (My Fault did order as soon as I should have) So here I am,..with DA BEAST and no lead that will fit it…. I bet I have close to 50 pounds of .457 lead laying around but no .50 

I also hunt black powder and have plenty of .50 sabot though after seeing upnorths vids

I grabbed the ridgeback sabot like a drowning man grabs a lifeboat along with some 320 grain huntersupply wadcutters and headed for the door

They work pretty darn good. I only had one tank of air available and was shooting during my lunch break so I could not put a lot of time in it but I was getting 1 1/2 inch groups at 75 yards on a 5 shot string with disengagement at about 10 yards  I also tried some of my BP rounds on a whim they did not do bad but I do not know how well they would perform in gel 

By the way @upnorthairgunner grab some traditions red ridgebacks and try them, They have a longer skirt than the black sabots you are using that this means that on exit the petals will open easier and will disengage faster than your black ones will see if they don't improve your accuracy 

I will say that I think the ridgebacks and .458 would do even better and engage the lands better as you can see from the spent sabot there is engagement but I did notice one of the shots was oblong on paper 

Link

isFun
    Participant

Wow!! How do you like your AF TX .50 now? That's crazy idea but it works. Cool thanks for the info. Happy plinking and enjoy your day..

Link

Willie14228
    Participant

Love it Need more shooting time its been crazy busy Bores Nest has two major events in October plus we are hosting some guest at the river so I am running like a chicken with his head cut off trying to get ready for it ( I hate waiting till the last minute) and we have a Uncle Earls Hog bay in Winnfield LA  that I need to get our dogs ready for 

I will get some more time to put it on the Chrony  get ready for deer season

Link

Chickenthief
    Participant

I have found the standard Lee 515-450 bullet greased in all grooves like a normal bullet to shoot the best.

The short one spread more and the Lee515-500 scattered bad.

The 420 is one made for the Swedish black powder rifle model 1867

All shots at 55yds~50m

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.