• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

5 200y groups in succession .67 MOA average

thomasair

Manufacturer
Nov 6, 2016
Colorado, United States
122A2699-EEF7-470B-94B8-7FC4712C3F79.1620872469.jpeg
F1008FD2-0F7B-4C16-BB1E-72E7A8770385.1620872469.jpeg
74ECF309-5761-4BC3-B277-031CA85A7721.1620872469.jpeg
2BD336AA-C60E-4E2C-96BE-0986EA79E5DD.1620872469.jpeg
A98779AF-8D41-4465-A408-23969447F8DA.1620872470.jpeg

OK....I pressed 40 slugs and went outside as the sun was going down. 

I set out 5 blank sheets of paper and intended to shoot 5 shots at each. I shot 6 on the first group because I apparently lost count...and I shot 5 for the next 3 ....then a 10 shot group on the last page at 200y cause I was liking where things were going. I shot each group in succession.

The ctc in inches is written next to the shots. The wind was fairly steady at 3-4 mph. My wind flag tails are at 45 degrees in 3.5 mph of wind.

The average ctc of all 5 groups is .67 MOA.

This is all of the shots I have taken at this distance except for the 7 I took earlier in the day when it was much windier....which were 1.045 MOA.

I feel like I can call this gun sub MOA at 200y. I still was unable to see the poi because it was slightly below scope view. I used the top of the fat part of the reticle below the dots to place on the top edge of the paper.

40gr 22 caliber Thomas 

Mike 

When I saw this and your other 200y post I was cheering loudly for you, Mike! (Internally, that is, since it's a little early to make that much noise.)

Extremely cool! 😄

🔶 Very awesome rifles you are building — to shoot with that kind of precision!

Now you go and give them powder burner guys at the bench rest matches a run for their money! Blow away the competition WITH AIR!!! 😄

Three 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Matthias

That’s awesome. I’ve been traveling all week, I came home and saw those groups and smiled.

Your slugs are phenomenal.

The 10 shot group under MOA is the group of the day.

That is better two hundred yard accuracy, than any 22 Long rifle, with any ammunition.

With a 40 grain slug, your barrel twist must be much faster. Fantastically huge ballistic advantage compared to a 25 grain slug, your machine is vastly superior than what I’m trying to do with my red wolf at 200 yards.

How long did it take you to find a barrel to launch those heavy slugs with? I bet once you found one it was easy to tune the velocity. There are probably 100 posts on these questions.

mike

So did you ever end up talking with a gentleman named Dan Lillja? Shilen?

I’m kind of wondering what twist you ended up with. I think normally a 22 Long rifle is one in 16... I would think you need a slightly faster twist.

I have a lightweight match barrel from a company called Kimber of Oregon. I’ve often thought of putting it on one of my PCPs, just for fun. But the barrel the diameter isn’t right to shoot pellets...

of course you’re kind of a genius who builds his own rifles and slugs...So you didn’t have the issues mere mortals face. Like having to live with the slugs that are out there. You just design and make your own.

I think to you, shooting the groups at 200 yards was more of a science experiment than anything else. At the same time you proved that slugs are way way more accurate at long range. It’s not even close.

I just shoot them because it’s fun.

If I were you, I’m not sure if I would share all of my secret sauce. I knew you could blow the groups I was shooting away. I’m glad you finally did, I’m sure there was more than one person questioning the validity of the groups I was posting. Because until you posted this they were crazy.

I think it’s really interesting that you were shooting blind, with no feedback. I do that on purpose sometimes, just to see what happens. You were in an incredibly steady wind, magic air. 

just as a sidenote. When I’m shooting out at long range. I always start with a fresh clean pallet. However, unlike you, my groups from one group to the next change. It’s a long walk out for me across the creek to put out paper. So if I don’t shoot a great group, I shoot another one right next to it. By the time I’m done, the paper is completely covered with groups and in some areas it doesn’t look like anything whatsoever. So I end up cutting the best groups out. And saving them.

If I do shoot a really good group, then I stay away from it so I don’t ruin it. I just don’t even shoot anywhere close to it.

Every one of your groups was worth posting. I guess somewhere around half of mine on a very good day are shaped and sized like yours. At this point, I’m very happy with that.

Again, thanks for doing that experiment.

You’ve also proved beyond a doubt that your rifle is more accurate than anything else out there.

mike