40 Year Old Benjamin 342 Reseal

1532498854_9488762825b5813a62c6197.64206327_IMG_4719.JPG
1532498854_3729341415b5813a6815617.21139876_IMG_4720.JPG

I rebuilt my 40 year old Benjamin 342 this weekend. It was originally my Brother's, now passed away. The seals had long since expired and ot would barely hold pressure. I know he had used 3 in 1 machine oil to lube it and that likely had killed the seals. I ordered a seal kit and a replacement trigger guard on EBay from Palmer's Pursuit Shop-he had it all including the crucial valve removal and installation tool.

With a little time spent on cleanup and getting organized I had perhaps three hours invested. The gun had a lot of grease that needed to be cleaned out of the pump chamber and valve chambers. That took some scrubbing with detergent and a 12 guage shotgun swab. Afterwards I blew it out with air and then swabbed with cleaning patches to make sure it was dry.

The tougest part of the project was getting the front checkvalve ito drop in the right direction with the rubber face towards front. Also getting the valve stack back in with the two solder washers against the spring pressure of the two springs was a little tricky. It took perhaps ten trys but eventually things dropped into place and tightened up.

Now, six pumps will yield around 680fps and groups around an inch with the open sights that came on the rifle. That is the best my eyes can accomplish. It was very gratifying to see this old classic work like new again!

This was not a difficult project and Inwould encourage anyone that has one of these great old pumpers on need of repairs to give it a try.

Nice save! The threaded valve guns like your Benji and the Sheridans are a little tricky to reassemble. I got a sliver of brass in the valve while rebuilding and had to take apart and reassemble my model C. Something I was told is to re-tighten the valve nut after shooting the gun a bit, then you're good till the next reseal.

Good going!

John 

Nice rig, always loved most of the crosman and benjamin pump rigs of days gone by.

I may be wrong but I believe they were not "painted" ( we all know what you mean) but a complicated ( and too toxic for todays standards) coating process. Chatted with a fellow who owns the ( maybe?) largest Benjamin collection in the South who had all kinds of detailed interesting information on these pieces of History.

JohnL brings up a valid tip from back when they were new. If that rifle was repaired under warranty the smith would have gone to all the trouble of this important step in a rebuild/repair. Then he could be sure that unless abused he likely would never see that rig again.

OP,

Have to put you in the "airgun friend" ( ugh ) list. Your post makes me miss my old 342 so much I now feel I " need " an old pumper.

Mine had some odd wood the factory just grabbed from a wood pile.

1532613893_11317144695b59d5053135f6.73984035_BenjaminFranklinBlackWalnut.jpg

Hope you still get to shoot that one 40 years from now.

John

I have a 342 that needs seals. If it had a breech that would hold a scope properly, it would have already been fixed. I am way too old for open sights.

I hear that! I rarely shoot my Sheridan for that reason. Don't know if I should mention this but the new Chinese made wood and steel Diana dragonfly comes with milled scope grooves. It also has a magazine which would make loading with a scope much easier.

That is a great looking old Benjamin! My first pumper was one of the Montgomery Wards Crosman 760's. It shot pellets and BBs and I will never know how they made the so accurate for a smoothbore. I grew up next to a big Filbert orchard and we had a lot of China Pheasants that would roost in there in the evenings. That Crosman got me a lot of pheasants (Hey, nobody told me you had to use a shotgun) ? It put a lot of meat on the table over the years until I finally received a real shotgun. Good times!