.357 Slayer from American Air Arms is Awesome

This gun is awesome! I want to thank Tom Costan for building such a great gun for us to enjoy.

I was able to get the Slayer sited in today and am very impressed with my first ever 5 shot group. My backyard range is limited to 50 yards currently, but this does give me a good idea of its accuracy. I only ran one 5 shot group on one full mag. Not bad being the first time I have shot a group with this gun. It basically drilled a single ragged hole I asked my wife if she could hear me shooting out on the deck and she said no. It's kinda backyard friendly if you ask me and really not that overly loud when adding the DonnyFL Emperor pickle.

Here is the 6 shot string. Although I probably will only shoot it once or twice during a hunt, I do like the 3 shot bell curve with a 0.85% ES. I'm pretty sure I can take it up to the max fill of 3800psi and get more shots within the 2.3% ES at shot #4. Looking at the group, I didn't see any drop in POI with the 6th shot. Maybe out at 100 yards I might have seen a small drop?

Here is the 5 shot group at 50 yards with one site in shot above to equal the six shot mag I emptied:

Reactions: Hornclayton
Nice group and Nice rifle now we just need a few pics. Congrats.

Thanks! 

Here are a couple I have taken so far:

1544591259_17913514775c10979b33ff02.44256414_New Slayer in the house.jpg

1544591274_2759490665c1097aa372c49.65820921_.357 Slayer.jpg

AAA Slayer is the Ferrari of high power air rifles. Nice shooting, btw. Looks like it’s nicely tuned, but if you get greedy, 3800 psi and a small adjustment on the VMS might get you 300fpe or very close. Slayers are much quieter than you (the shooter) think, because of the shroud vents. 

Awesome rifle - CONGRATULATIONS!!

Brian

It will easily do 300fpe. I'll leave the tune as is for now. It's sited in and I have a large pack of hogs waiting.

Looking good Keith. Congrats on your new purchase. If I ever bought a high end airgun, which I likely won't...it would be one from AmericanAirArms. I can afford it but have absolutely no personal need for one. The build quality and features are LIGHTYEARS ahead of other companies, and to think his operation is 1/100th the size of other companies most likely. The man behind those rifles probably knows more about air guns than all of us and presents that knowledge in a finely engineered, tuned and delivered package that blows any big bore competition out of the water. '

Hows it feel buying a rifle knowing you don't need to tinker or modify a single thing on it? Engineered so well you just get to enjoy it and run it through its paces! 

-Matt

Looking good Keith. Congrats on your new purchase. If I ever bought a high end airgun, which I likely won't...it would be one from AmericanAirArms. I can afford it but have absolutely no personal need for one. The build quality and features are LIGHTYEARS ahead of other companies, and to think his operation is 1/100th the size of other companies most likely. The man behind those rifles probably knows more about air guns than all of us and presents that knowledge in a finely engineered, tuned and delivered package that blows any big bore competition out of the water. '

Hows it feel buying a rifle knowing you don't need to tinker or modify a single thing on it? Engineered so well you just get to enjoy it and run it through its paces! 

-Matt

Thanks Matt! It is kinda surreal having all of the check boxes checked on an airgun. There's absolutely nothing to do except pick it up and shoot it or just admire it. American Air Arms (Tom Costan) is a real asset to air gunners. He does offer other calibers on occasion and I wouldn't hesitate to order any of his guns. They are the cream of the crop.

ackuric / Matt said it perfectly. 

AAA is a TINY company. I’ve toured the shop. Tom’s equipment is on par with, or better than anything in the industry, but the machines only do what they’re told. I’ve been doing this a long time, but I learn something new every time I talk to Tom. He’s a brilliant, innovative guy that could be designing and building anything really, but (lucky for our sport) he’s an avid shooter, hunter and is obviously crazy about airguns. His rifles are unlike anything else. There’s more going on inside Slayers than most people realize + hours of port massaging, assembly and tuning on each gun. They are hard to come by, yes, and Tom needs a secretary (to put it politely) but in the end it is well worth it! Of my entire collection, nothing makes my PP tingle like the Slayer! 

My .308 that won big-bore at EBR this year in the (more) capable hands of my co-shooter, Stephen Marsh

1544849693_15017425165c14891d539538.41902728_6D99709E-053E-4104-A097-A79FEB1997ED.jpeg

Reactions: pan60
Brian, Nice photo! I just got caught up on the .308 Slayer thread. Duh, I didn't think to even look for the .308 Slayer posts in doing my research for the .357 version. I have seen a few post now with the .308 Slayer taking deer which gives me even more confidence in doing the same with the .357 Slayer at my intended 100 yards or less distances.

I just picked up a scope and bipod for the Slayer, and am working on a slug trap so I can get it really dialed in, and to get use to shooting it before my deer/hog hunts.

@triggertreat,

I’ve mostly limited my airgun / deer shooting to typical crossbow range. However, the Slayer is so stinking accurate, I wouldn’t hesitate to go 100 yards if the right shot presented itself. And your .357 has 50% more power! So yea, as long as you’re confident at that distance and the gun is dialed, you’ll have NO problem. Tom got me hooked on the Streloc Pro app. If you’re shooting NSA, he could tell you what BC to plug in. My long range confidence got a serious boost after validating / tweaking the data a little. I printed and laminated a dope card and stuck it to the side of my .308. Zero guesswork when the moment of truth comes. Hope this helps(?) 

1545527482_18155120025c1ee0baa990d5.84113567_80626A30-81EA-4B4F-9BF3-B5980CF203C7.jpeg

@triggertreat,

.140 is the number. Should get you extreeemely close if not dead on. That’s straight from NSA / Slayer test data. Nick’s been using a Lab Radar since before it was cool. 

Brian

Thanks Brian! Tom came up with 0.145, but said he had not tested the 142 specifically. I'll plug that into Strelok. I missed that if it was posted on NSA.