.357 Bulldog and Slugs,

I have decided to buy another Benjamin Bulldog .357 being I miss my old one plus I would like a Bulldog to go with the Texan .357 and HMx .357 but anyway all I shot with my 1st bulldog was JSB 81.02s and the 145 Noslers that came with it, both shot ok out to 50 yards so now my question is have any of you bulldog owners tried any slugs in the 127gr area, (the Texan likes them). I have a few hundred 127gr slugs from Hunter Supply so if I don’t need to buy any while I wait for it to get here I’ll hold off but if any of you have tried other slugs and have had good luck let me know so maybe I can get some to try, Thanks.

Jim F.

Thanks addertooth. There is only about a 18gr difference so I’ll see how the 127gr do before I get more 145s, I know some folks are shooting 160 - 170gr slugs but I like them a bit lighter that way I can keep the airgun closer to stock, I also want to tryout a Pit Bull Long Moderator.

You will need a depinger because the ping is pretty loud. Worst than the Edgun. You should expect 25 Marauder level of discharge sound with the Full Pitbull MEGA moderator so the long one you are thinking of getting is going to be louder FYI. I have the DonnyFL adapter with Emperor on a bone stock Bulldog and it is quieter than a 25 Marauder aside from the annoying ping there is no muzzle crack. I plan to order 2 of the depingers because I bought a second Bulldog to mod with a Pitbull MEGA so I should be able to give an accurate assessment comparing both regarding quiet in the next 2 weeks or so. I have not tried the slugs you mentioned but the expensive Noslers seem to have good accuracy but the JSBs and Predator Polymags will get better accuracy shooting pellets rather than slugs when shooting out to 100 yards.

For paper punching or plinking use the JSBs and for hunting big game the Noslers.

There are also these round balls I had used originally for a Career 9mm that worked well too. They were purchased a while back from Ballistic Products and was rather inexpensive and comes in a 8 pound jar.

CA

@Imold, I was sooooo close to buying your old Bulldog. Figured for that cheap, it’d be fun to play with, and get into air bolts. Anyway, I’ve heard that the NSA 110 grain HP is hard to beat in a stock Bulldog and weight goes up from there if need be. If you haven’t already, talk to Matt or Paul at Pitbull. I had BBQ and shakes with them at EBR and they’re great guys, and know that gun better than anyone. 

Brian

@Imold, I was sooooo close to buying your old Bulldog. Figured for that cheap, it’d be fun to play with, and get into air bolts. Anyway, I’ve heard that the NSA 110 grain HP is hard to beat in a stock Bulldog and weight goes up from there if need be. If you haven’t already, talk to Matt or Paul at Pitbull. I had BBQ and shakes with them at EBR and they’re great guys, and know that gun better than anyone. 

Brian

Wish I never sold my 1st Bulldog but I was saving up for a RAW at the time and not to many folks were doing much with the Bulldog and then after I sold it these guys were talking about the new LDC they had for it and it just exploded after that. I shoot NSA 220rg swaged HPs with my Texan 45 and I like them, I’ll see how the 127gr Hunter Supply slugs work in the Bulldog and maybe order the NSA 110 to try and other then that I have a lot of 81.02s on hand.

I was looking at the DonnyFL adaptor and the Ronin LDC but figured I try the Long Moderator from Pit Bull being they specialize in the Bulldog. I have the DonnyFL Emperor on my Hatsan Bully .30 and the cocking lever is louder then the shot now and if anyone knows how loud the Hatsans are they would be impressed.

You might give the Speer swagged 158 grain semiwadcutters a try. These bullets are fairly soft lead and designed for .38 spl pistol. I have modded one of my pistol (.38 cal, 158 gr SWC) molds to throw a 100 gr bullet, sized to .358. My Rex .357 likes them and I'm hoping the Rex P will like them too when it arrives. At the price of big bore pellets it really pays to make your own. Good luck. 

Howard 

Coldair I’ll look into the depingers but 1st I’ll get the Long Moderator on and get some pellets and slugs down the barrel and then I’ll see what I want to do next, I live in the country so I’m not to concerned about noise but I do like a quiet airgun and that goes for ping sounds too, I’ll probably end up calling Matt or Paul eventually after I get it broke in a bit, thanks for the advice on getting the depinger.

Just ordered a depinger kit.

You might give the Speer swagged 158 grain semiwadcutters a try. These bullets are fairly soft lead and designed for .38 spl pistol. I have modded one of my pistol (.38 cal, 158 gr SWC) molds to throw a 100 gr bullet, sized to .358. My Rex .357 likes them and I'm hoping the Rex P will like them too when it arrives. At the price of big bore pellets it really pays to make your own. Good luck. 

Howard

Even tho I do reload I have not gotten into making my own slugs yet and I say that loosely, I do see that guys are shooting 160 and 170gr with their modified Bulldogs but I don’t think I need to go that heavy for what I do, those NSA 110 might be the best all around ones for me if they shoot good.

Imold yes they shoot good in my bulldog and I have the Pitbull depinger in mine an it works great for me I also have a JSAR valve in mine an need to take some time an done a little more tuning, I also opened up the TP from reading the thread by Tkerrigan on GTA, haven't time to play with this in a while been deer hunting with the Badger 40 and Texan 45. 

Imold yes they shoot good in my bulldog and I have the Pitbull depinger in mine an it works great for me I also have a JSAR valve in mine an need to take some time an done a little more tuning, I also opened up the TP from reading the thread by Tkerrigan on GTA, haven't time to play with this in a while been deer hunting with the Badger 40 and Texan 45.

Thanks, maybe I’ll get some ordered from NSA to try.

NSA ammo was the most accurate slugs out of my bulldog 142, 110, I know your looking for slug but polymags are great also. I have tested all three with three different guns with great Results.

I did order 50 NSA 110gr slugs last night and this is what I have on hand in .357.

1543177318_21216212885bfb0466950aa0.80875029_6B2AF9E3-2A93-472B-9636-39233E0295B1.jpeg