,357 Air Rifle, which is best for hunting?

Hi 

what's your budget? also do you want single shot or a repeater 
The bulldog is a great rifle, people are starting to come up with ways to increase the preformance of that platform 
a sam yang recluse is a decent rifle 
even better with the tune kit from African air ordances. 
The slayer is a good choice as well 
the jagers are and Jkans are great rifles 
airforce is making the Texan in 357
There are a lot of differnt rifles to consider 
I recommend finding someone in your area who has a rifle your interested in and see if they will let you try their rifle 
Hope this helps 

Dave 

Well, I crunched the numbers and here is what I came up with.
1-The .357 RAW regulated shoots an 81 gr. pellet at 745 fps and creates 101 ft. lbs. of energy. The closest P.B. ballistic match is a 25 acp 50 gr. bullet being shot at 950 fps, it creates 100 ft. lbs. of energy.
2-The .357 RAW un-regulated shoots an 81 gr. pellet at 885 fps and creates 140 ft. lbs. of energy. The closest P.B. ballistic match is a 32 auto 71 gr. bullet being shot at 945 fps, it creates 140 ft. lbs. of energy.
3-The .357 Benjamin bulldog shoots a 145 gr. bullet at 800 fps and creates 206 ft. lbs. of energy. The closest P.B. ballistic match is a 380 acp 90 gr. bullet being shot at 1000 fps, it creates 200 ft. lbs. of energy.
4-The .357 Slayer shoots a 127 gr. bullet at 988 fps and creates 275 ft. lbs. of energy. The closest P.B. ballistic match is a 38 spec. 130 gr. bullet being shot at 970 fps, it creates 271 ft. lbs. of energy.
5-The .357 Texan shoots a 158 gr. bullet at 1000 fps and creates 350 ft. lbs. of energy. The closest P.B. ballistic match is a 9mm 115 gr. bullet being shot at 1175 fps, it creates 352 ft. lbs. of energy.
With that being said, my money is on the Slayer .35, Texan .35 or any other .35 that can produce over 350 ft. lbs. of energy. As for the others, would you give you wife a .25 acp., a 32 auto or a .380 acp to protect herself?????

Also while we are talking about hunting with big bore air rifles. I have done extensive testing with the .457 Texan ( over 500 ft. lbs) and the AOA Bushbuck .45 (over 600 ft. lbs.)
The closest P.B. ballistic match to the .457 Texan is a .357 mag 158 gr. bullet being shot at 1200 fps, it creates 505 ft. lbs. of energy.
The closest P.B. ballistic match to the .45 Bushbuck is a .44 mag 200 gr. bullet being shot at 1175 fps, it creates 613 ft. lbs. of energy.
Both of these P.B. rounds have been used for big game hunting around the world for years. They make for a quick ethical kill.

Last but not least, Arizona state law states the a pcp rifles .35 and larger can be used to hunt big game during general hunts. They are not allowed to be used take elk or buffalo. This air gun big game hunting is just becoming legal in some states. Let's not take under powered air rifles out, take unethical shots, and start wounding animals that are not recovered. Air gun pellets and bullets rarely pass through, So, if game and fish start finding dead animals with pellets and bullets without powder residue on them they will shut it down for all of us before it really gets started. Use a gun with enough energy to make a quick ethical kill and keep in mind all pcp air guns can kill.
Ron the HighArcHunter OUT!

Reactions: Hornclayton