3000 Psi scuba tank?

I am still researching information before I buy a PCP type air gun. Today I stopped in at my local scuba shop to have a talk about filling tanks the nice lady told me they were limited to 3000 PSI or maybe 3500 PSI but said they could not do 4500PSI. She also told me they had some used 80CU tanks that they sell for $135 and would refill them for $6 that seems reasonable but will that work for most PCP guns? I have not bought one yet. I am just trying to figure out my total cost for air after purchasing something. I would like to use this dive shop because it is very close to my house. I am sure there are others that might have more capability in my area but I have not looked into it yet. My other thought is a hand pump and rigging it to a motor.

Thanks Mike

Reactions: Chainc
Remember that in order to fill your gun the tank must have more pressure than your gun. A Marauder fills to 3000 psi if your tank also is only filled to 3000 psi you will not even get one complete fill. As soon as you start taking air out you will already be under 3000. Many gun now a days fill to even higher than 3000. Take that into consideration when making your gun and tank choice. Good luck!

You are correct, every time you equalize the pressure from a scuba tank to the gun you have a pressure drop so your next fill will be less. That being said, I get around 1500 shots off of an 80 cu ft scuba tank. My gun has an 360 cc tank and is regulated at 1800, so I'm still shooting when my tank gets down to anything above that. I haven't been to the dive shop in over a month and I shoot everyday. I'm down to 2300 so I'll be going this week. CF's are way better but you have to make sure you can get them filled, my shop won't do it.

Scuba tanks are easy to buy and hard to sell. Don't waste your money. The biggest mistake I made in 20 years of PCP ownership was starting out with a scuba tank instead of a carbon fiber tank. You have the worst of both worlds with a scuba tank. They are 4 times heavier and larger in volume yet hold 1/5th the amount of air that a 4500 psi carbon fiber tank does. Scuba tanks are a waste of money. If you do get a scuba tank you'll quickly regret it.

Hi Gundog,

I've 4 of the 200 bar SCUBA tanks. They came with my compressor so I decided to use them. I'm in a good sport diving area so hydros and visual with fill was only $30/tank. (BTW, the DOT has a list by zip code you can use to find tank re-certifying agencies. Very handy regardless of tank type. A bit non-intuitive but

https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/pressure-vessels-approvals/cylinder-requalifiers

will get you there.) Anyway, my PCP's can be charged higher than 200 bar. I just charge to 200 bar or less. Ok. Shot strings are a bit shorter. Most of my PCP's are regulated so a shorter shot string is the only disadvantage. Advantage is just about any place HPA is available they can be filled. If kept dry inside will last a lifetime. Mine came with the compressor so does that make them free :)? Ok. Reasonably priced. You will not overfill by accident most PCPs. Not many can't stand 200 bar. Lastly you can give them to your dive buddies in the future as they are useful as dive gear.

What they are not is portable. I shoot from my home or near my car. They are not light. Pick one up at the dive shop. If you can handle slinging it around you are good to go (if you like the idea of 200 bar fills).

There is a 3400 psi version of standard dive tanks also. Heavier and more $. A few more fills. (Funny thing. They were 3500 psi when they came out but the yoke regulator interface was not rated to that pressure. Hence the 3400 psi. I don't know if the tanks were changed to reflect the 100 psi drop in fill pressure.)

I'm sure I missed something.

Good Luck,

Nugria