30+ Year old " New FWB 300 "

JoeWayneRhea

Apr 5, 2015
So a week or two back a guy calls with a FWB that looks like a mini but with a walnut stock . Ask if I'm still buying rifles and after a short conversation we settle on a price . As I am getting off the phone I just ask how it shot ? His answer caught m off guard ....He Said he didn't think it had ever been fired. It was his Dad's and his dad collected guns and displayed them in glass cases but mainly just kept them in his ManCave to show buddies when they came over ..OK whatever dude ..
So I get the gun in and it's oddly clean but dusty on the muzzle tip and end of stock . All the original sights are there , and I notice something odd . There are no scratches on the loading breech or piston . Hmm well it was taken care of but unfired my ass . So I take I out of the stock , screws are still all black and not a Nick on them . When I pull the stock off I notice the pistol grip black cap is shiny and not a scratch ...FWB owners can verify how soft these are and how quickly they show wear . I go to disassemble it and one screw Is seized up so tight it breaks off . Piston is stuck in compression chamber , and breech seal is literally like candle wax . I stop there and call the guy who sold it .
He told me his Dad had passed away and he had dozens of guns in same condition . He hated hunting , almost never shot , but loved the art of wood and metal and cigars so he surrounded himself with them . I told him I truly don't think gun has ever been used and he said most all of them hadn't . He said he sold all the Powder guns in one large lot but the buyer didn't want the lone airgun .
I stopped where I was at and decided to slow my roll so to speak and kinda think on a gun that a man thought enough to buy and display and show off but never fired . The simple idea of just enjoying a gun as a piece of " art " never really occurred to me in this way . I sincerely wish I could have met the man and seen his collection intact .
Guns gonna take some parts and time to restore , but I'm determined to use only FWB parts to get it back like it originally was . Oh and one other tip it was new , the barrel had an odd yellow/orange grease inside it , it was a film not a heavy deposit . Where I work we used a similar grease when I was young to prevent rust and as a lube on boring tools . It's a grease that hasn't been made in over 20 years . It was kinda like a thick whale oil .....Only the REAL old timers will get that one . Most times I lay gun parts around with as little thought as I do a pile of rocks . This one's different . I set the pieces in a box and I'll get the piston taken apart and see what all I need to restore it and Take my time . Hell he had it 30 years and never fired it , I can take my time and get it back like it was when he put it in the case for safe keeping .

Nice post. It's in posts like this that we can really feel the love we share for airguns. 

While I can appreciate his appreciation for wood and steel, I can't help but mourn what he missed out on by NOT shooting all those fine guns. Even a fine one is as much fun to shoot as to fondle or observe. 

And the guy who didn't want the lone airgun? He was not worthy anyhow.

Yeah I'll take some pics later this week . I gotta get the piston apart ( hopefully it still good inside ) my guess is the piston buffer deteriorated to the point its just dust and the oring is what has it stuck . Something cool was I had always heard that they had almost no lube from the factory and it seems true . The original double spring set up had zero rust on it but not a trace of grease . It felt completely dry , probably just the tiniest film of oil protected it . The only spot of any rust I saw was on the outside of the trigger assembly there is a spot about size if a pea . Probably where someone touched it when it was put together .

There wasn't a box or paperwork of any kind . Seller said the guy who bought all the Powder burners asked the same thing . The only " wear " I have been able to find is on the bottom of the barrel right behind the sight , and a pressure spot right by the trigger ..My guess is it was displayed horizontally on one of the two contact point type gun display racks .

He might not think so when I get original JSB parts. Lol. I'm fairly sure the oring , and seals will be all I'll need . Gotta free up that piston and clean in there good , and see about getting that bolt that broke off easy outted...it was the front bolt that held on trigger group . Springs still measure to what they should be by overall length . Since it just set up all these years I can't imagine they are bad , Chrono will let me know when rest of it is done

You mean FWB, unless JSB started to make parts for FWB also. ;) 
But seriously, if those springs haven't been used all those years, and there's no oxidation going on, they'll shoot like brand new ones. I can't imagine the piston buffer being deteriorated if it hasn't been used all that time. Those things are plastic. Unless a part of the piston ring got loose and made it through to the end of the piston, that will screw things up internally. Curious what you will find in there Joe.

Yeah I meant FWB yeah the Piston buffer I'm pretty sure has deteriorated down to a little bit of nothing you can see it through the little hole where I pulled out the breech seal it's nothing but dust in there and I'm thinking the combination of that and the old ring rusting up it's what's got it stuck I'll find out today at work I'm going to spray it with liquid wrench and get some of the guys to help me take it apart hopefully we don't break it fingers crossed