30-Yard Challenge

tcarlson, I'd like to try this but it says at the bottom of the target that the 10 ring is 3,28mm yet you stated above in your first post that "The 10 ring is 4.5mm in diameter, about the size of a small fly" so can you clarify so that I can adjust my printer settings correctly? However, when I printed my target the gray area indeed is closer to 3,8mm than 4,5mm.

I corrected my post. I read the footnotes incorrectly. The 10 ring is 3.28mm.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Just printed some targets on card stock, . However, we have snow on the ground this morning AGAIN so it looks like its going to be a few more days until I can give this a try but I am looking forward to it.

So, looking at the scoring above it appears that if the hole touches the grey then you are scoring it a 10? But its kind of confusing because it says (at the bottom of the target) you have to touch the center black dot to score a 10. Are you plugging with a .22 plug or using a N50 (.350) plug?

Let's agree that if your shot touches the gray, it's a 10. Let's plug with a .22 pellet, skirt down, centered on the hole. If the pellet touches a line, score it to that line. I sure wish I had a secret for making cleaner holes as it seems we are all shooting domed pellets. The wadcutters make great holes, but are not very accurate at 30 years.

out of curiousity, how does the throwing out of lower pairs make it harder ?

It makes it easier, like a couple of mulligans. The scoring system was from another game I was playing on a different forum, same target, at 10 years. At 30 yards, I think we need a couple of mulligans in case the wind gusts, or we shoot a pellet with a bent skirt.

I just reread the target scoring instructions. Indeed, it does clearly state that a 10 must totally remove the gray center ring, not just touch it. Now the 200 score makes sense, it won't be easy. And it also precludes the use of anything bigger than .22, as it would be an unfair advantage. Power isn't mentioned, but again, it's not a HP game, and it would seem that a standard power rifle (30 fpe) should be the limit. Of course, it's just a fun thing, and as long as the shooter states the equipment used, it shouldn't matter. Obviously, someone who blows all the centers out with a HP .450 would not earn a lot of admiration.

Let's play that if you completely destroy the gray center ring, that is a 10X. If you knick the gray center ring, that is a 10.

Airgunners,

Thanks to you all who are playing and posting up your scores and your gun. I started playing this game in my backyard between my two guns, a Taipan Vet Long .22 and a Umarex Origin .22. I was curious to see how close a cheap gun could compare to the Vet in accuracy and precision. I also get tired of shooting groups. The fact that we can all play from our backyards is a huge bonus. My Vet scores in the 170s and my Origin in the 140s. That made me want to improve my Origin, and I just polished the barrel to see if it helps. It also makes me really respect RAW rifles as they have put up some of the highest scores. Can't wait to see more scores from different shooters and rifles!

I just reread the target scoring instructions. Indeed, it does clearly state that a 10 must totally remove the gray center ring, not just touch it. Now the 200 score makes sense, it won't be easy. And it also precludes the use of anything bigger than .22, as it would be an unfair advantage. Power isn't mentioned, but again, it's not a HP game, and it would seem that a standard power rifle (30 fpe) should be the limit. Of course, it's just a fun thing, and as long as the shooter states the equipment used, it shouldn't matter. Obviously, someone who blows all the centers out with a HP .450 would not earn a lot of admiration.

Let's play that if you completely destroy the gray center ring, that is a 10X. If you knick the gray center ring, that is a 10.

Honestly, it’s still a significant challenge to get 20 legitimate 10’s outdoors with wind. In the spirit of having a friendly ( not too competitive ) challenge, I think we might get more participants. Besides, this isn’t a real face to face match. I participated monthly for almost two years on the GTA NUAH ( Nothing Under A Hundred ) virtual matches and when we tried to make it more difficult, folks lost interest.

And, If we start seeing too many 200 scores, we can always modify to making it more difficult. There were good suggestions as to how me might approach this already mentioned.

High power .22’s vs. standard - Either way, just have to decide

Last edited:
Sounds fine to me, certainly more stringent than traditional highest value scoring. I doubt of there will be so many 10X hits to cause a need for higher difficulty. Twenty-two only, or .177 with a .22 plug? I don't mean to harp on the HP thing, but it seems that significantly more power would yield an advantage. For example, at 25 yards, my 12 fpe .177 is at a disadvantage vs 20 fpe tuning. Standard FAC .22 power is usually 28-30 fpe, which seems about right to me. But, those folks with both standard and HP .22 rifles might offer a better insight.

Sounds fine to me, certainly more stringent than traditional highest value scoring. I doubt of there will be so many 10X hits to cause a need for higher difficulty. Twenty-two only, or .177 with a .22 plug? I don't mean to harp on the HP thing, but it seems that significantly more power would yield an advantage. For example, at 25 yards, my 12 fpe .177 is at a disadvantage vs 20 fpe tuning. Standard FAC .22 power is usually 28-30 fpe, which seems about right to me. But, those folks with both standard and HP .22 rifles might offer a better insight.

I will eventually try and use some of my .22 standard air guns ( FX Royale and HW100 ) vs. my .22 cal HP Safari and RAW airguns just for kicks. It will be an interesting ‘experiment’ to see if the HP’s out score the standard .22 Cals at 30 yards. The biggest variable in my mind is wind, not whether or not one uses a standard vs. HP at 30 yards. Could be wrong, and I honestly don’t know which would score higher at just 30 yards. 

Since this is for fun and pretty non competitive, I don’t think it matters. However, if there is any concern about using HP .22’s I can easily use the standard .22’s. 

Lot’s of good inputs on this thread! Lots of learnings.

I think the scores are correct, but is someone cares to correct me that is fine. Lost of room for improvement

20220326_162428.1648337405.png
20220326_162437.1648337408.png
20220326_162445.1648337410.png
20220326_162453.1648337412.png

Good shooting, laz. What rifle are you shooting?

Shooting a Maverick with a brand new 600mm barrel. 150/130 on the regs, NSA 23gr slugs moving at an average 970fps. Was actually prone off the bipod using my fist as a backrest for these. My picnic table/benchrest is a little wobbly so wanted to try prone. Still under 200 rounds down this barrel so still in break-in phase I hope.

Good shooting, laz. What rifle are you shooting?

Shooting a Maverick with a brand new 600mm barrel. 150/130 on the regs, NSA 23gr slugs moving at an average 970fps. Was actually prone off the bipod using my fist as a backrest for these. My picnic table/benchrest is a little wobbly so wanted to try prone. Still under 200 rounds down this barrel so still in break-in phase I hope.

If you can ‘level’ the legs on your picnic table and use a good rear bag instead of your fist, those scores will get better. 😀