.30 or .35

Okay I'm looking for a all around hunting rifle, but it will also be my go to coyote gun. I'm stuck between a .30 and a .35. I'm looking at a Hatsan bt65 carnivore. I need a gun that I can drag though the dirt shoot off rocks and don't have to worry about scratching a nice wood stock. I need a gun that will get the job done without all the frills. I'm leaning towards the .30 for the smaller game and shot count. but if someone with experience say it's under powered for coyotes and think it is a bad choice please let me know. Thanks Jon

I think a .30 is plenty powerful. For me .30 is the largest caliber airgun that I’ll have. Above that and it seems your air consumption is ridiculous and may as well grab a powder burner.

For your needs I believe the Carnivore is an excellent choice. The .30 Hatsan Hercules is a good one too if you want a big shot count. 

Reactions: Brian.in.MI
A .25 doesn't have the fpe for an ethical boiler plate kill shot.
JH44 both the .30 or .35 are a good start but keep in mind that isn't the final factor, we all would like to say our shots are perfect all the time but when hunting there are too many factors that are going to up the challenge. You cannot always depend on a head shot, plus if you do flub the shot your going to want the extra foot pounds of energy to cover your error. 
Three major components for hunting with airguns 
1. Foot pounds of energy
2. Effective hunting range of the platform chosen (bullet is accurate and retains the fpe needed)
3. Cost
Sorry brother the cost factor needs to be the last deciding factor in your decision process. 
Yotes are some skittish animals and can be a bugger to call in less than 50 yards.
You are going to need to do your math and decide on what range you want to hunt at and then find a gun that will produce the fpe at that range for a ethical boiler plate kill shot. Even if all you plan on shooting nothing but head shots. 
Be careful with you tube vids in some cases the guns being shown are far from factory specs 
.35 would be my choice 

Hi JH, we live in the Cascade mountains in Oregon, and have to keep every kind of squirrel, coyotes, cougars, and raccoons at bay....so I keep an FX Bobcat 30 ready to go for most of them....it has good knockdown power for big grey squirrels, but I usually need a follow-up shot for raccoons and coyotes, and the 30 has a good shot count. I have been using JSB's, but recently started using PolyMags...a 30 works for me around the house,(although after dropping a big alpha raccoon, he got up and charged me, and didn't stop till I emptied the magazine into him) so if I was after bigger targets, I would have a bigger gun!....good luck and enjoy your new rifle!
14b5f60ee8ea0250629b962b692fc5b1.jpg

Shot placement and a .25. Condor if you must/can ( personally they just never grew on me but many a tinkerer enjoy them). I has a Career 707II for 10+ years, Korean shot curve/cliff so you really need to know the fill but it took many a 60lb critter admittedly almost all inside 100 yards but all 1 shot. That was a 99fpe rifle with a golden barrel - and a strong learning curve- but I have no doubt a .25 in the 55-65fpe range would be just fine to 100 and a bit further if your good & know your gear & range .The minute you get into .30+ cal. there is a great deal more internal moment (or such , & flip, & ?) which is fairly easily dealt with but is harder to shoot than the just slightly smaller cal. just hand a total newbie both a high power .25 then give them a .35 they will shoot better with the .35 ( expert shooters not included but try it with your 12 yr old Daughter or such).

Now if you need to take random body shots ( yotes are a $$$ costing varmit around here and as far as farmers are concerned hit em with a rock) go big! A 3yr old can kill you with a crayola with unfortunate placement and while it was ina pen I personally have humainly put down 100+ 600lb Hogs with a .20 Sheridan pumper.

Needing that perfect shot is the reason to use an airgun for me otherwise 55g at 4,000fps would dispatch a yote.

John

Hi Jon, the coon i posted in the above post, scared my wife one dark evening, when he made a commotion coming down one of our trees,....Linda called out to me that something big was coming down the tree (she thought it was a small bear or lion), so i grabbed a couple rifles and set-up on the deck waiting for a shot (Bobcat 30 and 556)....i later saw a shadow scampering along the fence line and it hid behind a large ponderosa tree, and when he stuck his head out to take a look, and i verified, i took the shot.

Well, your first sentence rules out .35 cal, IMO. I don’t know anyone that regards .35 as an “all around hunting rifle” lol. 

Also, don’t rule out .25! People have been killing coyotes with .25 pcp’s for years. Take a gun like a .25 Cricket that’s capable of 60fpe and you have a compact, rugged, reasonably affordable, deadly accurate setup. They can even be hopped up to 80fpe with slugs, but then you may be venturing outside of “all around hunting rifle” territory. 

If you want to get pricey, there’s a number of .30 cal bullpups out there that would easily take a coyote without being absolute air hogs or overkill for smaller animals. Impact, Edgun come to mind. 

You might want to talk with Nick at Nielsen specialty ammo. He has a .25 Cricket that destroys yotes with his bullets. You could feasibly turn the power up or down to match pellets or bullets, small game or large and hunt a very wide range of animals with the same compact setup. 
62d8942e181c97ca3900ed5501eacff0.jpg

Hope this helps(?)

Brian

Reactions: stephenst4470