.30 impact vs pigeons

Topcat

Jan 6, 2017
Last week I got a chance to see what my 30 impact could do at long range in 16mph winds. I never shot in such harsh wind conditions because I wasn't sure where the pellets would land. This time I was in plenty open space so no problem. Also, it was a good time to see how the wind would effect the poi. I randomly picked a spot where I saw a soda bottle and ranged back to my truck where I was shooting from a unsupported position on the door window. 
The range was 66yards to the bottle and I'm sighted in at 25yds &50yds. I have the Athlon Btr ffp Moa scope which is working out nice since the replacement from Athlon. At 66yds the holdover is 3 hash marks and one hash right for windage. This I know from trial and error and it only took one shot because the Athlon is that clear where I saw the pellet land. I'm shooting 50g jsb's @840-850fps with amazing accuracy! I'm getting one hole groups at 50 which is common for a .30 and a steady hand. I was a barber for 20yrs so my hands are steady. It's the eyes I worry about! 
After I found the range at 66 i move out to 100 to see what I could do. I found a plastic bottle with liquid inside that was a good enough target to shoot. The first shot I aimed center mass to see what my pellet would do and adjust accordingly. The pellet landed plenty short but I did see where the drop was and the wind was really in effect at 100. I let of a second shot and boom a hit just to make sure a reloaded and sent another down range to clarify the range. The second shot boom a hit again and you should have seen the smile on my face. 
At 100yds the holdover was at the 10th hash mark and 3rd right for windage. At the 10th hash the pellet did not land directly but was enough to make contact. I did see that the pellet was landing at about another 3-4 hashes low. I found another small bottle that I wanted to see if I could hit it at 100yds also. I was constantly hitting the plastic bottle and I hit the glass bottle on the second shot. 
Today I went to my job after hours to see if these pigeons that congregate on top of a light pole had landed and like clock work it's 4 pigeons up there 71yds away says the bushnell truth range finder with a 12 degree  incline 16mph winds again today. I remembered from the shooting the week before that at 66yds I was at 3 so I held 4 hashes 1 hash for windage. First shot Boom the 50g jsb smacked it hard no movement at all just tumbled right off the pole. This was a time a wish I had a scope cam! I watched the pellet impact (pun intended) Wow!! This fx impact is a beast hits hard and shoots true. The other pigeons flew in a circle and landed back in the same spot and gave me second shot. 
The 2nd shot grazed the pigeon but still was enough to bring it down the wind kicked up a bit and drifted the pellet more then expected. I couldn't retrieve my birds because they fell inside of a county bus station that was fenced in. BUMMER! I hear a lot of people complaining about the impact I guess I got lucky and got a shooter. The .30 I have has the retractable shroud also so it's from the first batch of impacts. I do have small things like thumb adjuster backing off after a few shots, power adjuster screw backing off after awhile, regulator meter off sometimes. Small things that I have to remember to keep an eye on but no deal breaker.
For the accuracy I'm getting I can live with a few minor issues. My barrel also shoots polymags excellent which I want to shoot strictly once I find a single shot tray. Ernest isn't making anymore right now so anyone here can cook up a tray PM. Thanks for reading. 

Great write up. It reminds me of when I first started in airgunning. I was the engineer at a large cement plant with quarry. We had a huge pigeon problem. 

I had an rws34 in 177 and later a bsa Supersport in 22. They both worked fine but the 22 really knocked them down. Mostly short range but a few lucky shots out to maybe 40 yards.

these days I mostly plink with pcp's and some CO2s 

"jorgemac"You can do exactly the same deadly results in pigeons with a .25 caliber wich also has much better numbers of shots
Dead is dead, but I have a .30 too. I've had plenty of .25's as well. The .30 drops them like no other. The hole is larger and there is more trauma and tissue damage. I shot a largish bird the other day with a 44.75 grain JSB at 880 fps. It was an upper breast neck shot. When I retrieved the bird the head was literally almost blown off the body. It was barely hanging by a thread of tissue. 

"Topcat"
"jorgemac"You can do exactly the same deadly results in pigeons with a .25 caliber wich also has much better numbers of shots
Yeah I know.. I'm not talking about a 25 I have a .30 thanks
:) Have you compared the 44.75 gr, 46.3 gr (FX) and the 50.15 gr? Just wonder how they all fair from the Smooth Twist barrel. I've only tried the 44.75 gr, which are great, but have thought of getting the others to compare. 

"Birdo"Great write up. It reminds me of when I first started in airgunning. I was the engineer at a large cement plant with quarry. We had a huge pigeon problem. 

I had an rws34 in 177 and later a bsa Supersport in 22. They both worked fine but the 22 really knocked them down. Mostly short range but a few lucky shots out to maybe 40 yards.

these days I mostly plink with pcp's and some CO2s
Thanks. I have did extensive studies using .22, .25 & .30. The .22cal is a great caliber when used in conjunction with the right pellet but the trauma is missing from such a small caliber. The penetration and flat shooting is why some like the 22. Personally the .22 doesn't get the job done how I want it done! "When I make contact I want what I'm aiming to drop dead not crawl off or fly away and die." Even with a head shot or double lung/heart shot isn't enough with the 22.

"zx10wall"
Dead is dead, but I have a .30 too. I've had plenty of .25's as well. The .30 drops them like no other. The hole is larger and there is more trauma and tissue damage. I shot a largish bird the other day with a 44.75 grain JSB at 880 fps. It was an upper breast neck shot. When I retrieved the bird the head was literally almost blown off the body. It was barely hanging by a thread of tissue.
What .30 are you using? I agree the 30 is one hellava round! I like the heaviness of the pellets so the wind doesn't push them around as much. The down range accuracy is amazing! People who never tried a 30 should really try one and become hooked. 

"Dairyboy"I have a .25 and .30 for hunting and most my hunting is birds like dove and pigeons and the .25 does a great job but the .30 fricken rocks!
Amen brother, the 30 is awesome. I clipped a pigeon and the energy from the 30 still brought it down without a problem. A clip with a 22 or 25 would have sent the bird off flying and possibly crash landing or not.

"blackdiesel"Hunterone posted a video where he shot a house sparrow with a 30 cal at 80 FPE using Polymags . Of course the bird just exploded :D
I have seen that video. Hunterone is a great shot and I hope to get to those guys level. Southern gunner has videos demonstrating the power of the 30 using polymags also. When I purchase my scopecam equipment I will start uploading Video's as well. 

"zx10wall"
"Topcat"
:) Have you compared the 44.75 gr, 46.3 gr (FX) and the 50.15 gr? Just wonder how they all fair from the Smooth Twist barrel. I've only tried the 44.75 gr, which are great, but have thought of getting the others to compare.
I have compared the 44.75, 50.15 $ polymags. I refuse to pay the inflated prices over at Aoa for those Fx pellets! The 44g jsb's are ok but my impact loves the 50g jsb's. I thought the 44g would be the pellet so I bought 4 tins. The accuracy was just not what I know the fx could do at 25&50. I purchased a sample tin of the 50g and was amazed how well those shot. One hole groups at 25&50yds. The long range accuracy is amazing as well. I also was stunned to find my barrel like the polymags as well with 1 hole groups at 25 and slightly opened up at 50. I'm going to only be using the polymags on game and pest once I find a tray so I can load them. Trying to load a pellet by hand is a real pain in the rear! 

"Topcat"
"zx10wall"
What .30 are you using? I agree the 30 is one hellava round! I like the heaviness of the pellets so the wind doesn't push them around as much. The down range accuracy is amazing! People who never tried a 30 should really try one and become hooked.
I have an Ernest Rowe custom .30 Cricket. It has a Smooth Twist barrel like your Impact. 

"zx10wall"
"Topcat"
"zx10wall"
I have an Ernest Rowe custom .30 Cricket. It has a Smooth Twist barrel like your Impact.
Wow I know that thing is a hammer! Is your cricket the one listed with the NC ldc and shroud? If so that thing is badass!! I had a custom 25 cricket that Ernest built it was a short Barrel 25 that was accurate as hell out last 100. 

Topcat
"zx10wall"
"Topcat"
I have compared the 44.75, 50.15 $ polymags. I refuse to pay the inflated prices over at Aoa for those Fx pellets! The 44g jsb's are ok but my impact loves the 50g jsb's. I thought the 44g would be the pellet so I bought 4 tins. The accuracy was just not what I know the fx could do at 25&50. I purchased a sample tin of the 50g and was amazed how well those shot. One hole groups at 25&50yds. The long range accuracy is amazing as well. I also was stunned to find my barrel like the polymags as well with 1 hole groups at 25 and slightly opened up at 50. I'm going to only be using the polymags on game and pest once I find a tray so I can load them. Trying to load a pellet by hand is a real pain in the rear!

Just put one pellet in the mag,
The mags are very short ,how fx could make a design screw up like that,
The mag wont accept barracuda,or superdomes either,
Rgds steve

"Scirroco"
"Topcat"
"zx10wall"
"Topcat"
jorgemac said:
You can do exactly the same deadly results in pigeons with a .25 caliber wich also has much better numbers of shots

Just put one pellet in the mag,
The mags are very short ,how fx could make a design screw up like that,
The mag wont accept barracuda,or superdomes either,
Rgds steve
Fx has not updated their mags since first designing them. You would think after some years and complaints they would have redesigned the mags to accommodate longer pellets like polymags and H&N pellets. I never thought about just loading a single pellet. I wish you would have pulled my coat tail before I purchased a single shot tray😔