.30 Flex - My Review

Here's a writeup for my initial impressions of the WAR .30 Flex. I have previously owned 2 Marauders (.25 and .177) and 1 Evanix Rainstorm II in .357.

The Design: 

The design is really excellent. I've learned a fair amount about PCPs over the years where I've modded my .25 Mrod and I can see that the Flex incorporates a "dream team" ensemble of airgun design innovations.For example, although the Flex does not have a SSG, the hammer incorporates a design that causes the hammer and spring to function similarly to a SSG insofar as there is a gap between the spring and the hammer (yes I did remove the breach from the body and take a look) which effectively eliminates hammer bounce. The cocking bolt is another example. As others have noted in their reviews, the bolt pushes the pellet forward of the transfer port before the bolt is closed and put to rest. I like that. Its not hard to get use to loading the pellet that way. So far I haven't forgot to push a pellet forward yet. The bolt itself is smooth and easy to operate. On my 80fpe Mrod I once had a problem where pellets were not being pushed over the transfer port, so seeing that the designers made a concerted effort to make sure pellets clear the port without sacrificing the FPE potential of the gun is nice.

Concerning the breach, I noticed that internally it uses a metal transfer port and oring seals like a Marauder to connect the valve exhaust port to the breech. However, the transfer port of the Flex is much more sturdy that the Marauder's and the orings look very strong. I've often bent the TP on my Marauder when the orings get shredded and I had to pry the TP out (which was a regular occurrence when running at 80fpe on the Mrod). I have no such worries with this gun. I didn't think to measure the TP but its big. It should handle moving a lot of air no problem. 

Power adjustment is also easy. There is a 5/16 allen head screw in the end cap (inside of where the AR stock screws on). Here's my gun's screw set at the default power level:

The tool I use:

You need to know that there is also a set screw on the right side of the end cap that holds the hammer spring screw in place. I like this design because it will keep the tune from slipping without having to use a thread locking compound as the Mrod requires. HOWEVER, If you forgot to remove the set screw, you will strip the hammer spring screw threads when you try to adjust the power. So be sure to remove the set screw first.

I like how the bottom picatinny rail adjusts. You can slide the picatinny rail forward or back a few inches to get your bipod just right for your tastes. The gun benefits from a short bipod moreso than my Mrod does. I've tried both an 8 inch and <6 inch bipod and the shorter bipod is better for stability.

I'm tickled with how well the gun breaks down for packing. I could break it down a little bit more by removing the cocking handle and the scope but for my purposes leaving them on works fine. This is going to be a good gun for my overnight camping trips.

Finally, I like the versatility of the AR stock. The gun's endcap is threaded to take an AR buttstock. The stock that comes with it is a standard AR telescoping stock. That does mean that the stock can be a bit rickety sounding when you walk. That's not the fault of the gun, that just goes with the nature of a standard AR collapsible stock. The skies the limit as to your options to put a custom buttstock on. 

Any criticisms? Only that the magazine, which is based on the Mrod design, is a tight fit for Predator Polymag .30 pellets. But they DO fit. You just have to play with the first pellet to get it positions just so or else the poly-tip of the pellet will extent too far and be sticking ever so slightly out the mag. After the first predator pellet is loaded, the rest load easy. The numbers on the mag are hard to read. That's a minor inconvenience and its something I can fix easy with a white marker. I'm an early adopter of the Flex mag so I'm sure the numbering won't be an issue on further mags.

Some people don't like the bottle design. I personally like it. Its very practical and its the only indication that a non-air gunner might have that the gun is an airgun and not a firearm. I'm personally looking forward to taking the gun to the public gun range and seeing what kind of reactions I get.

Performance: 

Shooting 44 grain JSBs

Fill pressure 2800-2900psi
2100-2050 ending pressure. 

Although I don't have my notes for it, I also shot a string with the power adjuster screwed in flush and my numbers were 19 shots with the first shot starting in the 890s, then going up to and flattening out at the 920s, to come back down to the 890s again for the last shot. Oddly, the fill pressure didn't seem to raise with the stronger spring tension. I generally got the same peak at the same PSI points as the default string, just with a little bit more air usage and 2 less shots. On my Marauder, that much change would have greatly moved my PSI curve up quite a bit. So that's good. 

Accuracy is amazing. I did have to learn how to shoot the light trigger. That's not a complaint. Now that I'm used to it, I wish all my guns had the same trigger. What the light triggers allows for is for me to barely touch the gun (almost hold it in the "artillery hold") and shoot it on target with minimal pressure on the trigger. Yet it never feels so light as to be unsafe. This weekend I'll shoot some splatter targets to show its accuracy. Here's a picture of 4 shots at 30 yards. The picture doesn't do the gun justice because the target is just white printer paper and it tears bigger than the actual holes. A rigid splatter target will show the groups nicely. For scale, my finger tip is the size of a dime (small fingers) and the orange target is the size of a quarter. That's a sub-dime sized group and .30 to boot. I think the gun is more accurate than I am capable of.

I've never been super comfortable shooting at 50 yards and beyond with my Mrod. I could do it, and on occasion I would make kills at 60+ yards. But it wasn't reliable. My scopes sat very high on the bullpup which meant that sometimes the drop would be well compensated for and little holdover was necessary, but it wasn't reliable to bet on that. Never had much luck with Charigun type apps helping me accurately calculate holdover. The Flex is different. The scope mounts low to the gun. I sighted in at an estimated 30 yards and at 1 mildot hold up I was able to constantly drill a soda can dead center at 50 yards. Then when I plugged the numbers in to Strelok I was able to see that my in-field experiences matched the app. Very cool. I'll resight the gun in using a laser range finder to know my true yardages for zero and target. I could see myself learning to be comfortable with 100 yard airgun shots with the Flex.

Its also very quiet. As others have reported, the shot sounds like a quiet, deep, metallic, "thunk". Very different than my Mrod. The sound equipment is compact and doesn't add bulk or significant length to the barrel. I can't think of any criticisms for performance so far. Of course I need to but a few tins thru it to be sure but so far it seems amazingly consistent. 

Reactions: ajshoots
 New airguns are just about the most fun one can legally have, congratulations on the acquisition and thanks for posting a review, will be looking forward to future results as well this being a new to market rig. Nice seeing them get to customers too! I've met Jim ( not even sure what the relationship of war/marmot is just shot with Jim ) so I was pretty sure they would materialize and was hoping the delays were due to ( something some the BIG company's could learn from ..........) testing, tweaking, testing, testing, trying, testing, well y'all get it. 
?'s

Heard ( with my eyes on the Internet) it uses the timney trigger group? Rem 700 ? Look like one of these:
http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/timney-remington-700-replacement-trigger.aspx ?
If so have you/can you measure the pull weight?
Triggers are huge to me and I like them light even though I cant let some other folks use them for hunting, the marauder goes down to single ounces safely and all I know of Timney ( hey and I don't care if it's a different trigger just interested in weight/adjustment potential ) is, there page say's "1 1/2lb" - which could be a legal issue - and that the fellow who designed the 10/22 SHOULD have purchased stock in Timney!
And you did seem to have found the perfect bag for it, does it say "Gibson" or "Fender" on the outside?

Enjoy & keep us posted.

John

It is a Timney and it is adjustable, but I don't currently have a scale to measure the trigger pull with. If I can get access to one I'll gladly measure it. 

The trigger is different than any trigger I've ever shot. Its extremely light yet it doesn't feel unsafe. Its a strange sensation to be able to touch the trigger only ever so slight to make it fire, yet it won't fire until exactly when you are ready for it to. I dont feel like I'm going to accidently bump it and make it fire. Yet I can cradle the gun ever so lightly and then just touch the trigger when I'm ready to fire. This afternoon I was shooting the numbers off my target and then shooting palmetto fronds off their stems. 

I got to shoot some groups this weekend. 

I sighted in for 50 yards then came back in to 24 to tweak it (24 only because I guessed 25, my rangefinder said 24, and I didn't feel like moving back a yard).

After tweaking, here's 7 shots at 24 yards with the 44 JSBs, velocities would have been in the 890s:

Most went thru one hole. I was shooting off a low bipod and using a sand bag on the butt stock to level it with the bipod. 

I then moved back to 50 yards and put 2 in the bullseye. I then while still at 50 shot the "9" off the target.

It looks like 50 yards is a good place to keep the gun zeroed. I can still have hunting accuracy for lung shots without having to use a mildot at closer range. 

I could have never done that with my Marauder. Don't get me wrong, my .25 Marauder is very accurate under 50 yards. But the Flex seems to make 50 yards seem like 20. I'm very pleased. 

Also I found the pack-ability of the gun to be of practical use. I don't have a sling for it yet so I packed it on my bag for transport to the field. I was scouting turkeys and took it with me in case I had an opportunity at a coyote (can't use it for turkeys in Florida unfortunately but coyotes are legal for airguns). Here's the configuration left camp with: 

The gun is ready to fire should I have to pull it, minus the butt stock being in place. 

Here I actually pulled it quickly to help me glass a group of gobblers down the road in the open pasture about 3/4 mile away:

After I got to the turkey roost a heavy downpour caught me. I was able to remove the buttstock and suppressor and stow the gun in my pack to keep it from getting rained on as I walked out:

I really like this gun. I'm working on some scope cam kills on varmits. 

I'm about to have complete my third tin thru the gun. Yesterday I shot some 50 grain JSBs thru it thru the chrony and downrange at 30 yards and compared to the 44 grain JSBs. Sighted in for dead zero at 50 yards with the 44 grainers, the 50 grainers shoot dead on bullseye at 30 yards. I did not shoot them any further than that. Chrony showed their velocities hitting the top of the curve in the low-mid 860s, which the JSBs were in the low-mid 900s. They both pretty well equal out to the same FPE give or take 1 fpe. I find that amazing. That means its wasting very little air per shot. 

The gun is holding zero like a champ. No POI shifts since I sighting it in for 50 yards. 

I would say the gun is also getting quieter the more broke-in it gets. However its hard to measure because it was already quiet and I've started scope-camming with it, which automatically changes my perception as to the gun's loudness because my ear is no longer resting near the action. I was coon hunting a couple of evenings ago and the gun was so quiet that I was worried I had lost power. However when I chronied it the next day it was still at its default power levels. The gun getting broke in combined with me holding my ear away from the breech made a big difference. I didn't really appreciate just how quiet the gun really was. I need to have someone else shoot it and me stand off and listen to it.