.30 Cal Loudness

Eli

Apr 26, 2015
Ohio
I'm fairly new to PCP's and unfortunately I'm in an area where you can't get your hands on a lot of them to test. I bought a Daystate Wolverine B Hi-Lite .22 and really like it. I love the accuracy and how quiet it is.

That brings me to my question... How much louder are the .30 cal guns compared to something like the Wolverine that I have (specifically the FX Boss)? I realize it will be louder, obviously, but is it really that noticeable? I have no idea. And I understand "loudness" is subjective, but I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. 

I need a "backyard friendly" air rifle and if I can get away with a .30 cal... why not? A .30 cal will take down all I can now with my .22 plus more.

Thanks for your help.

Can you get away with it. In my state .30 cal and up, fall under some powder burner laws with regards to where they are discharged. So even if my .30 was mouse fart quiet, i would never drop the hammer on it, in my back yard. That's easy for me to say and do, because my street dead ends into the mohave desert five houses down, so just be careful know what your getting into.

"Eli"I'm fairly new to PCP's and unfortunately I'm in an area where you can't get your hands on a lot of them to test. I bought a Daystate Wolverine B Hi-Lite .22 and really like it. I love the accuracy and how quiet it is.

That brings me to my question... How much louder are the .30 cal guns compared to something like the Wolverine that I have (specifically the FX Boss)? I realize it will be louder, obviously, but is it really that noticeable? I have no idea. And I understand "loudness" is subjective, but I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. 

I need a "backyard friendly" air rifle and if I can get away with a .30 cal... why not? A .30 cal will take down all I can now with my .22 plus more.

Thanks for your help.
The fx boss is a quiet one. If you get it with the full hugget shroud it's super quiet. But it will still draw some attention. You better have a huge backyard to be firing a 30. The 30 is super powerful. Use it for hunting or shooting long range 70 plus yards.

I guess backyard is a relative term. If you have neighbors I would not use a .30. Basically if you would not fire a .22 LR in you backyard because of safety then the .30 has no place in your yard. I would even venture to state that the .25 has no place in a backyard where noise is a factor. What kind of critters do you have in your yard? For the backyard I like a .177 or a.20. The noise is less and the foot pounds of energy are more realistic. Just an example I shot a squirrel yesterday hunting at 110 yards with the .25. The pellet blew right through him and I saw a large puff of. Dirt flit about 20 yards behind my squirrel. The critter expired immediately. That is a dangerous weapon

Reactions: cubo
Thanks for all the comments so far.

To answer some of your questions... I'm not concerned of the power factor of the .30 with regards to shooting it in my yard. I have neighbors on both sides, but none in the back. I have about 105 yards available in my backyard (mostly field) to target shoot or shoot pest birds. I target shoot in the yard to get ready for hunting (squirrels, rabbits, and the .30 would allow coyote and fox).

As I said before I like to target shoot in the yard, thus, I need the rifle to be quiet. Plus, one of the big benefits of air rifle shooting/hunting is how quiet the rifle is compared to rimfire or centerfire rifles.

"FearnLoading"
The fx boss is a quiet one. If you get it with the full hugget shroud it's super quiet. But it will still draw some attention. You better have a huge backyard to be firing a 30. The 30 is super powerful. Use it for hunting or shooting long range 70 plus yards.

So if I get the full hugget shroud will it be much louder then the Wolverine B .22 with the hugget shroud that comes with that rifle? The Wolverine B I have I doesn't draw any attention at all. Obviously, a .30 cal rifle will be louder, but much louder with the hugget shroud?

"Eli"
"FearnLoading"

So if I get the full hugget shroud will it be much louder then the Wolverine B .22 with the hugget shroud that comes with that rifle? The Wolverine B I have I doesn't draw any attention at all. Obviously, a .30 cal rifle will be louder, but much louder with the hugget shroud?
It will be a tad louder than the wolverine B. You will hardly be able to tell the difference though. The boss comes with a long shroud which reduces the noise significantly. CHECK OUT TEDS video on YouTube. He uses the boss to take down some pests. You will get an idea of sound.

My .30 Boss was much quieter then my .303 Wolverine even after I installed the largest Huggett, a Magna. The Boss is shooting at 80 ft lbs. compared to the Wolverine at 100 + ft lbs. 
Another other option is a RAW - HM1000X .30, Carbon fiber bottle, Walnut thumb-hole stock, moderated. I have one on order and will share the details when available. 

Hunter

Keysorsoze (whatever, he dont scare me :)), mentioned but didn't dwell on the 'Backyard Friendly' aspect, well that's not only noise, you have to factor in power, some larger bore airguns are producing near 22 subsonic, rimfire FPEs. If anyone has a house within 150 yards of your proposed shooting area then think carefully...

My Raw .30 with AZ full bull shroud is ant fart quit. Very backyard friendly.

20230619_093815.jpg

Reactions: Jaxjax
Currently I am searching for a .30 cal airgun that can be backyard friendly as well since I only shot my airguns in my backyard and live in a very quiet and peaceful neighborhood. For my understanding one of the most quiet .30 cal airgun available in the market right now is the Kaliburgun cricket II tactical .60 wtc. A few famous youtubers like Steve from AEAC and Moose from Airguns from Michigan mentioned this when they reviewed this particular airgun in their youtube channels. When Steve tested one without any aftermarket moderator it was doing only 80 db in a digital sound lever meter.

Last edited: