.30 CAL AIRGUN QUESTIONS

So not having had a .30 cal before I want to explore the pro's/con's with the help the experienced .30 cal shooters on here.

I don't want to have to cast or source slugs etc. especially here in the UK it would be a PIA.

So with .30 cal airgun pellets for shooting 100yds do they perform okay?

Also Wolverine .30 cals go begging here as nobody wants them so I was thinking of completely refinishing one, perhaps even a new Walther poly barrel.

Any thoughts or comments/advice would be appreciated!

All I can say is that the two .30 calibers I have are both good shooters out to 100 yards with standard JSB 44.75s, my HMx .30 will shoot 1” groups at 100 yards and then I have. Bully .30 that I have no problem hitting 2” steel plates with at 100 yards, my HMx is more of a bench rest target rifle and my Hatsan is a do it all type airgun from shooting steel to hunting but mostly I can take either one and have fun shooting 50 yards out to 100 yards, I know they are both capable of shooting farther but my range right now limits me to 100 yards.

I know there are other airguns out there capable of shooting just as good out to 100 yards but these are the two I have so hopefully others will chime in with what their 30 cals will do with stock JSB pellets.

This is my go to 30 cal.

1540055276_14654933685bcb60ec569d52.75366142_EE9BDA56-5FD6-4389-8BC6-A480B6B02E32.jpeg

Quick question, being in the UK you have the 12fpe limit. I'm taking it you will be having the permit/license whatever it is so you can have guns with more power? 

If so the .30 is an excellent choice. I do enjoy .30s and have shot out to 100yds with very very impressive accuracy.

Yes it's no problem here to get if you have a license, over 12FT an airgun is considered a firearm, same as any 5.56/223, .308 etc.

The downside is that you require "good reason" for each and every gun you want to acquire and "generally" multiples of each caliber are not permitted, paperwork taking a few weeks is required for each and every transaction, buy/sell etc. so if you make the wrong decision you have to repeat the process.

I have had pretty much everything and been licensed for 20 years so I have asked for .22/.25/.30 in over 12FT, will probably go Redwolf .22HP, maybe add a .25 Crown barrel and not too sure on the .30 ATM.

I know one dealer who keeps a few tins of .30 cal JSB on the shelf and they are only 1-1/2 hours away so not too bad, I may just invest in a tin or two to wet my appetite!

Maybe I missed it, but I dont think I saw your reason for the .30, in addition to the other calibers. As one who simply likes to shoot, aside from purpose (as I also do), I think the .30 is just fantastic to shoot...................just different. In addition to down range energy on critters, I like to shoot reactive targets such as a walking AR steel squirrel and I cannot get it to rotate with smaller calibers at longer distances (or much at all for that matter) with airguns.

I have a 30 cal Impact, Crown and Boss. All will do moa at 100 plus yard. Some days I'm not moa at 100 but the guns will consistently do it. Come to think of it, MOST days I'm not moa. This is with the JSB and Edgun 44 and 50 grain pellets. I can't say that the FX STX 700mm barrel is any more accurate then the old FX 30 cal ST barrel. The cal is about as good as it gets for adverse wind conditions for me, other then the 25 cal 33 grain. It's a great cal to explore. The only disadvantage is the pellets cost twice as much as the 25 cal 33 grain. 150 in a tin compared to 300 and air consumption increases. If your going to purchase a whole new gun in 30 cal, look at the new Wildcat in 30. I was really impressed with it at EBR this year. Good luck. Sylvan