3 stages of projects

I picked up about 20 different springers around 20 years ago in a special event at a gun shop in Phx and only got around to refinishing one. Just decided to mess around with springers again recently , so I dug out some and started testing. The 3 here are Mendoza Competencia's from early 80s. The left one is untouched , middle has an HW30 piston seal and general cleanup and started to scrape off finish and damage, the right one fairly well refinished. Been shooting the middle one with the peep in my shop at 11 yds. It's qute good w JSB Match 8.0. Trigger is less than half lb and quite crisp. I call it my FWB Killer. Weighs about 6 lb and perfect ergos for offhand and it shoots as good but easier than my Fwb 300. 600 fps, roughly. Haven't found the right pellet for the refinished one, and the other is a 22.

download.png
1547491881_21381174665c3cda2913c1f2.17820857_20190114_113216.jpg

We don't see these often so I thought it might be interesting to some.

Bob 

Those look like different platform than the later ones. I had an RM200 with the split trigger-it was accurate with the right pellets but almost impossible to scope-the plastic scope stop was purely decorative and the scope slid back constantly. Mine was .22 and shot RWS domes and H&N pointed (spitzkugel) well. Do yours have the oil wiper? Mine did and dieseled for around the first 1500 shots. They're built like tanks!

Thank you . Fun projects and neat little rifles.

Yes, it has the oil wiper but I don't oil it. They were intended to diesel. I'm very happy with how it shoots now, without that.

I haven't scoped any of them but there is no plastic at all on the rifle except the piston seal. I prefer peeps on them if possible. They aren't long range rifles and scopes really upset the nice balance .

I had some with pressed steel triggers but gave them away or sold them. The remaining ones I have feature solid milled steel triggers with 1st stage adjustment only. Some had front sights that were apparently made by hand with a file. Not bad at all, though. None of the solid steel triggers broke at over a lb.

I also have a couple larger versions that were called Magnum's. They are simply larger versions of these. 2 of those that I rebuilt ran just a little over 12 ft/lb both in 177 and 22 with the spring they came with. The 177 was more accurate than my Fwb 124 with the ammo I had at the time. My bro in TX still has it and it still shoots pretty extraordinary. The stocks on the Magnum's are pretty interesting . VERY hard wood... not sure what it is, but nicely figured on all of them. The Magnum's I still have are 22s and were modified to shoot rimfire ammo, it looks like, and will need some welding to restore them to functionality . Probably not gonna happen soon, but if I get around to it , I'll post some pics. The big bummer is that one is bead blasted and chrome plated and would really be cool to have restored but has a small cut from a hacksaw right on the top by the breech. I know a good aerospace tig welder that could probably repair that fairly well but will never be able to match the texture and bead blasted chrome finish.

Anyway, the things we find sometimes .......

Bob