3 PCPs Compared... one dude’s journey

I started out with the Gamo Urban, was amazed at what an entry level PCP could do. My furthest kill was an 80 yard shot on a picket pin chipmunk. Multiple kills on woodchucks from 40 to 65 yards. I upgraded to a Brocock Compatto, it is a little more refine and has been deadly on hundreds of pests. My furthest kill was 94 yards on a pigeon. Finally upgraded to a Bantam Sniper HR and it is a great rig. What it has over the other two is shot count, regulated and the six level transfer port adjuster. What I have learned is that within 50 yards, the inexpensive Urban can hold its own with the two more expensive PCPs as far as hunting or pesting. What the Compatto and Urban have over the Bantam is that you can use a pump on them and be good to go. The Bantam is best filled from a tank or compressor. Yes the more expensive Brococks are somewhat more refined, but that doesn’t matter to the critters on impact. So my take is that for pesting or hunting of chuck sized critters and down you don’t need to spend a fortune. If you keep your shots sub 60 yards a lot of inexpensive PCPs are capable. Good times in the airgun world.

I agree I used to have 2 galatians and a bt 65 .30 I buy used at hatsan USA it was like $410 each and I do great up to 80y almost nobody has 80y to shoot. My marauders workwo great to..my friend has a p 15 that shoot as good as his cricket..there no need to spend a lot of money..to have fun, hunt or go long range..at the end we almost never get what we paid for .. is always a loosing game..

Until recently I shot my best 50 yards group with a Galatian and Crosman dome pellets in the metal tin. I have also gotten some outstanding results long range plinking with a Sumatra. The higher end guns are easier to shoot accurately but most decent PCPs are pretty accurate with enough energy to take care of most airgun hunting needs. I like high end PCPs as much as the next guy, but I have enough Hatsan and other mid level PCPs to know that I can shoot just as accurate with them as I can with my high end guns. 

I would have to agree with the point that you made there. Good post. BTW, isn't your Compatto a .22? I have read up on the Compatto a bit lately after reading how fond you are of it in other posts. That seems to be fine PCP, but you can't find one in a .22. They are all .177 from what I have seen.

Yes the Compatto is in .22, I believe Trenier has them in stock.

I would have to agree with the point that you made there. Good post. BTW, isn't your Compatto a .22? I have read up on the Compatto a bit lately after reading how fond you are of it in other posts. That seems to be fine PCP, but you can't find one in a .22. They are all .177 from what I have seen.

Indiana Airguns has them for $700.

Earlier this year I was scoping out .25 rifles and now I'm moving in the opposite direction. My Brocock Contour is 15fpe, and the Daystate Regal 30fpe. I find myself always hunting with the Contour. Shooting at home is normally done at 30 to 50 yards. 15fpe is fine for that and the accuracy between the 2 is the same at those distances. My next pcp may be a sub 12fpe .177.

Those gamos are a real bargain. I haven't had my hand on one, but I've seen what they can do. 

I've been pretty shocked by the performance of several of my lower end or otherwise cheaper pcp guns. The level of accuracy is pretty darn high on basically all of the ones I have. A couple snow peak guns. 2 hatsans (the fps consistency really impresses me, especially in the hatsan pistol I have. Talking a 30fps spread from 200 down to 100 bar with no reg, and still putting out a lot of power)

I have had some FX guns as well, and the one Crown I do intend to keep is absolutely worth what I paid. Pinpoint accuracy. Better accuracy in wind, and capability to stack heavy 36gr 22 cal slugs within 1/2" at 100 yards. And at 880fps. C'mon, man. That's crazy to me.

I've gotten some real bargains here and there, and overall, I feel like I've 100% gotten what I paid for. My 1322 pumper aside. It's extremely accurate, but at the end of the day I could have picked up 2 used Gamo urbans for the same $ and have 20x more gun.