3 methods of making a scope optically Centred YouTube video

Yes there are different methods, however the recomended method by all mfgrs that wont void any warranty is to rotate the scope in a V block and adjust the turrets until the crosshairs stay on center while rotating the scope 360 degrees. There are a number of scope mfgrs that may void a warranty if turrets are rotated all the way in any direction, the mfgr may call that abuse!! You can ask me how I learned that......In years past I have worked closely with repair centers at Burris and Leupold all the folks there higjly recomend against turning turrets all the way in any direction. 

Yes there are different methods, however the recomended method by all mfgrs that wont void any warranty is to rotate the scope in a V block and adjust the turrets until the crosshairs stay on center while rotating the scope 360 degrees. There are a number of scope mfgrs that may void a warranty if turrets are rotated all the way in any direction, the mfgr may call that abuse!! You can ask me how I learned that......In years past I have worked closely with repair centers at Burris and Leupold all the folks there higjly recomend against turning turrets all the way in any direction.

To me it is also abusing the erector spring of the scope.

But it is better to do it just for a few seconds and then bring it back rather than keep it on an extreme position permanently to keep the scope sighted in.

I am not arguing rather I am seconding you that is why I mentioned this method to be the rough method.

I will never do it with any properly working scope.

Still it is used and is called mechanical centering. 

Just mentioned it to be the most inferior method. 

Regards

Bhaur

Yes I understand your point, it is the mfgr that I dont trust, always looking for a way to not cover the warranty!! I have saw many cases over the years where that was referwd to as abuse! Then again, some folks may not have a delicate touch!! On cheap scopes the turrets can be so rough a person may not be able to judge when they have reached the end and continue turning....ouch, it has happened .....great info on your video, just throwing caution that a warranty issue might come about if turrets are turned all the way...to far!!

I found this in an airgun forum but don't remember which one. Although I have not needed to use this method, I think it is the best one I have seen so far.

Center a scope reticle:

Place the scope in a box with the v's cut as described earlier. The box is securely held in a vice. I point the scope at a piece of graph paper that can be made online with several free programs. Be sure the lines are bold enough to be seen at about 6 yards. Rotate the scope until the crosshairs are at the very bottom of the circle made by the crosshairs. Make a small mark on the graph paper where the crosshairs are located. Repeat this process with the top of the circle and the left and right spots. You should have marks resembling a square rotated 90 degrees (like a diamond shape.) Find the center of the four marks by drawing lines thru the top and bottom marks and the left and right marks. Rotate the scope until it is upright and while looking thru it move the adjustment knobs until the crosshairs intersect the center mark. If you do this very carefully the scope will now be close to perfect center. Don't stress out about absolute center because the crosshairs will move again when zeroing for it's next rifle.

For optical center to matter the receiver, rings, and barrel would need to be perfect. I've never heard of anyone having an airgun blue printed.

It is a starting point...if the scope turret needs more than one full turn to zero the rifle, the scope mfgr recomends gojng to an adjustable mount.. just a way to get the best performance and life from an expensive scope