269 Yard Ground Squirrel shot. DRT on top of a fence post. Luck?

Forums Hunting 269 Yard Ground Squirrel shot. DRT on top of a fence post. Luck?

• Views : 754
  • Link

Long_Shot
    Participant

I wasn't planning to shoot a Squirrel today……

I started out today to shoot 1 – 5 shot 200 yard group on paper. Then shoot and video 2 – water filled cans at that 200 & 205 yardages to confirm that I still have enough power to get a HP slug to expand properly for that and beyond. 

I videoed the 200 yard can, but the one at 205 (next post down) was behind another post. Shot it off video. 

So here's my 200 yard group I jacked up. 

So I went to the shooting the cans of water. 1 anyway. 

I saw the Squirrel in the video, not the scope.

Since I have seen a few Ground Squirrels there (270 – 300 yards) lately & 3 this morning  I adjusted the optimizer to 270 yards. 

I shot at a few that I was unable to verify their range and hold over. 270 – nearly 300 yards probably. 

Just need one at 270. Then at 270 yards (269 actually) on a fence post sits one. 

1 shot pow, just laid there in it's side atop that post for about 5-6 seconds then slowly rolled off, where I found him.

I would like to give honor to my "Trophy Ground Squirrel". 

Right up there with all my Elk, Deer, Bear and a Cougar Bow Shot grocery's. IMO.

I would have liked to put this in a Long Range Sub-Forum. Just my thought. 

Link

biohazardman
    Participant

Great shots at 200 and 269 yards!! Hard to beat those I guess your gun is tuned pretty well then.  Congrats.

Link

L.Leon
    Participant

Unreal shooting, it’s amazing what can be done by shooters like you.

Link

bigbassguy
    Participant

That’s some stellar shooting!!!

Link

Crosman999
    Participant

Wow great shooting! Is that camera zoomed or do you set it closer? 

Link

cea1960
    Participant

Pffft, 269 yards. 😏  I can do that with my eyes closed. 😌  In my sleep even. 😴

In fact the only time i make a 269 yard shot is when I'm sleeping! 😁

Incredible!  That is definitely a trophy squirrel.  At least until you break 300 yards, AND you will!

Link

molder
    Participant

What rifle were you using

Link

Vetmx
    Participant

That is an incredible distance to cleanly take that squirrel. If I was there and witnessed it, I probably would have fell off whatever I was sitting on. Luck? Yes but not on the trajectory. That was all you. The luck was pushing a 2.5 inch 200yrd grouper another 70yrds and hoping one would land in a one inch kill zone. Either way, it had to be a pretty gratifying experience.

Link

pcparmy
    Participant

That good sir, is a great shot.  And fantastic shooting on paper as well.  

Please do share the rifle, projectile, and velocity.

Link

Wiseguy
    Participant

Awesome shooting.

Link

Long_Shot
    Participant

Camera was about 2-3' to my left. On max. zoom. 

Here's my setup. Cricket .35 cal. modified to a .25 cal. with a 26" long TJ 1-22" twist barrel. 

37.7gr. slugs @ 938 – 942 FPS. I make on a Corbin Press.  Optimizer for long range shooting. 

I made all the parts. So that makes the thing a little cool to me anyway. 

Thanks for all the nice compliments. 

Link

JimNM
    Participant

Dagum!  That is a really cool thing to have done.  Impressive 🤯

Link

Funshine
    Participant

That's one helluva shot. Nice looking gun, too.

Link

Vetmx
    Participant

Your gun is putting out fantastic power with those slugs. Looks like you chose a great platform to build upon. 

Link

pcparmy
    Participant

Longshot for the win!   Impressed

Link

xwind59
    Participant

Those are very nice, very aero slugs, you say you made them!!  wow can anyone buy a Corbin press?  Im in!

Link

C.B.Daddy
    Participant

🥳⚡️🔥☄️🔥⚡️🔥💥🔥⚡️🔥💥 !!!!! That’s so awesome. Keep up the great shooting!

Link

viole7509
    Participant

Very impressive shot, good job!

Link

Long_Shot
    Participant

xwind59

Those are very nice, very aero slugs, you say you made them!!  wow can anyone buy a Corbin press?  Im in!

You can get the hole set up for about $1360.00  at Corbin.com I believe. I just call them or drive there. About 30 miles. 

Vetmx – You had great points about the odds of hitting reliably at 269 yards. 

I was curious about hitting something again myself. Yesterday afternoon I put a water filled can on ea. of the last 2 posts (269 yards and about 265).

First 3 shots nothing, holding 1.5 mil left for wind. No dirt cloud to use to see where your hitting here. 

4th shot 1 mil left and I nicked the top left side, saw water splash from the top. Found it.

Next shots were hard to say in exact order but I managed to hit both cans 4 times out of 11 shots. 

First 3 were just pocking holes in the sky for the windage.  Spotters if you will. 

So my math is 4 hits (sort of hits) out of the remaining 8 shots, is a gun that is about a 50% hit potential at that yardage. 

Not dead center in the middle hits. But, still kind of fun. 

Link

Vetmx
    Participant

Well you answered your own question about luck. But what I still find impressive is if I took my Wilson barreled .22 rimfire and shot a target round, something going as slow as your airgun, I almost guarantee I couldn’t hit a can 4 out of 11 times at 270yrds. And you are doing it with a bullpup, a gun designed for close quarters combat to boot. Your slugs are the real deal. They look like you made them on a lathe.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.