.257 Talon thoughts.

Forums PCP Airguns .257 Talon thoughts.

• Views : 1671
  • Link

ajshoots
    Participant

I recently purchased a used .257 Talon 24″ TJ barrel 1:14 twist, RL extreme valve.
    I have been pondering a .257 for along time and this one happened to pop up at a very good price. I bought some 70gr bullets to start with and quickly learned a few things. The .257 is everything I expected. With the right size bullet, this is an amazing beast. Accuracy is wonderful and so is the power!!

Of course the short 24″ barrel won’t make the power of the longer 700mm or 32″ R&L offers, but 930fps with a 70gr bullet is very respectable in my opinion. Though I am still not much of an Airforce fan because of the trigger and ergonomics of their guns, this thing is still impressive and is slowly growing on me.

As crazy as this may sound after my above statements, I don’t plan to shoot bullets out of this gun anymore. Actually, I just tuned (luckily cranking the power wheel all the way down gives me 8 shots with a bell curve. Highest setting sent them over 1100fps) the gun for 976fps with 43gr eunjin pellets. Why you ask?? These things are very dangerous shooting bullets.

I do live in the country and have little worry about hitting anything other than intended targets at home, but many of my hunting spots aren’t like my house. I have been hunting with airguns for not only the challenge, but also the fact that pellets have a much larger safety net than any powder burner. I had a few ricochets with the .257 that though there was no danger of hitting persons or property, it really made me think. If I lived and hunted on vast tracts of desert or open country, I would be all about slinging bullets. However, I live in farm land Ohio that unfortunately has grow from woods and fields to rural subdivisions and alot of country homes.

While I do practice and preach safety, I could use the .257 on some of my hunting property, but not alot of it without having to be ultra careful with shot selection. I don’t want to take anything away from how accurate and powerful this thing is. You just better have lots of wide open spaces!!

Another issue that was the deciding factor of bullets or not, was price. I really have no desire to cast bullets. So, it is buy em or shoot pellets. After spending $40 for 100 bullets shipped to my door that ended up being of poor quality, I was a bit ticked. Knowing I could get some high quality bullets made but the price would still be expensive led me to my decision. I thought about buying my own casting equipment, but the danger of shooting this thing came back into my head and that was it.

I have yet to find time to test the 43gr eunjins for accuracy out of the .257 yet. Once I get time, if they shoot decent, I will keep it. If it shoots them less than desirable, it will be in the classifieds!!

Just to clarify for those that may not know. A standard. 25 caliber is .243″ lands and .250″ grooves. The .257 is .250″ lands and .257″ grooves. This let’s an oversized .25 pellet like the eunjins still be able to seal in a .257. By the accounts of others, many pellets will actually shoot good out of a .257 barrel. Guess I am about to find out.

Link

JoeWayneRhea
    Participant

Keep this post updated Aaron ! Man I’m curious to see how it works out . I killed a couple of hogs with those pellets and I honestly have nothing but just a hunch to base it on . I always felt the Eujin pellets were harder material than like JSB or similar .
    If you can locate a tin try those H&N grizzly 25 pellets . They hit Hard but I don’t remember them being as big around as the Eujins were . I shot a pig that was about 50 lbs in the side of the head with one of those and it was just under the skin on the opposite side . But before I sold my 25 I couldn’t locate and of them for several months .

Link

T3PRanch
    Participant

The AirForce .25 is of a bit different dimensions according to AirForce E-Mail I received when I inquired about land and grooves and is as follows:

Our .25cal barrel measures .248 land and .255 groove.  Just about the same.
    Twist rate 1:17.22.  Have a good day!

Standard Lothar-Walther .25 is .248 and .254 as described on their site.
    http://www.lothar-walther.com/458.php

So my question is who’s .25 barrel is of the dimensions you described? Crosman?

Thurmond

Link

ajshoots
    Participant

Yes, LW uses an oversized .25 land and groove size as do others in the airgun world. Would be nice if airgun makers would standardize barrel dimensions like the firearms world does.

BTW, Airforce uses LW barrels by my last count. Does Airforce have LW make barrels to Airforce’s desired size or did AF give an incorrect response to your email?

Link

ajshoots
    Participant

JoeWayneRheaKeep this post updated Aaron ! Man I’m curious to see how it works out . I killed a couple of hogs with those pellets and I honestly have nothing but just a hunch to base it on . I always felt the Eujin pellets were harder material than like JSB or similar .
    If you can locate a tin try those H&N grizzly 25 pellets . They hit Hard but I don’t remember them being as big around as the Eujins were . I shot a pig that was about 50 lbs in the side of the head with one of those and it was just under the skin on the opposite side . But before I sold my 25 I couldn’t locate and of them for several months .

Joe, I shoot 43gr eunjin sized to .250″ out of a custom .25Mrod I have at 860fps and they are hammers!! Accuracy is pretty good. Not JSB good, but minute of critter accurate. I have taken a number of animals from raccoon to coyote with that setup and it knocks the crap out of everything it hits. I really hope the talon will shoot them accurate enough for me. At the speeds it can push them, it should be pretty impressive.

Link

sharroff
    Participant

Ajshoots,

I agree with you 100%.  At some point these “pellet guns” that are legal to shoot anywhere (silenced) got into the realm of their powder burning brethren.  Would I launch a .22 LR CCI Stinger or .222/.223 in the wrong angle/direction without seriously considering where it was going to land?  Heck no.  

My competition .45 (Springfield Armory Custom Shop 1911) puts out a lot less power (it’s 178 or 185 grains around 800 fps)  than the 45 Texan “pellet gun”.

Link

ajshoots
    Participant

Sharroff, you being from Ohio as well, you know exactly what I am dealing with!! It really is impressive, but if I want to have to worry and pick shots that critically, I will just grab one of my centerfires. To be honest, with the explosive nature of my favorite varmint round, I would possibly be less concerned with buzzing a 40gr bullet at near 4000fps out of my .204 than slinging a 70gr or larger bullet at 700-1000fps. That is just my opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, these powerful bullet shooters are impressive on many levels, just not to be taken lightly. They posse a much greater risk factor than pellet shooters.

Link

wll2506
    Participant

ajshoots !

I just read your post and thought it was something I wrote. I feel the same way.

I LOVE my Korean guns and my Condors and my 25 Condors shoot slugs like there is no tomorrow giving me 50+fpe at 150 yds !!!!! that is off the charts. I have a used 257 coming that will double that energy at the same yardage shooting 69gr HP bullets … these are very powerful guns. I know for a fact when I get my 257 I will be shooting it in very few areas as its maximum range is almost a mile … ~1689 yards at 940fps+ This is a serious danger zone

My shooting area is in the high desert, but I have roads and houses 400-600 yards away ….. Shooting a barrel breaker with a pellet is one thing, shooting a powerful PCP with a super heavy pellet or a slug is a totally different matter.

I’m EXTREMELY careful the direction of my shot, and I’m always looking where could this projectile land. I can’t begin to tell you the number of times I have not shot because I know there is a farm house some 500+ yds down the road in my line of sight. To those who don’t know check Chairgun and your projectile at your velocity at about a 30 deg angle and you will be shocked at the distance these projectiles travel … or its easier to go to TOOLBOX to MAXIMUM RANGE and all the info with your pellet and velocity figures are all right there, it is a real eye opener !

aj, Even though I have turned into a bit of a power hound with my Condors, Career’s and Sumatra, there are times I just put them away and use a 650-750 fps ish gun shooting CPHP as they have enough poof for starlings and the BC of that pellet is not good, the poor BC does me a favor as I know it will not travel far …… sometimes less is more, if you know what I mean !

Great post aj !

wll2506

Link

sharroff
    Participant

Ajshoots,

Completely agree.  For farm and Ohio rural hunting, I’d rather have a 3300 fps .22 round disintegrate on a branch then having a subsonic heavy round bounce off something and wind up who knows where.

“If you can’t legally shoot at powder burner levels, you shouldn’t be trying the same with high fpe air guns”.  Quote by me August 2016

Link

wll2506
    Participant

“sharroff”Ajshoots,

Completely agree.  For farm and Ohio rural hunting, I’d rather have a 3300 fps .22 round disintegrate on a branch then having a subsonic heavy round bounce off something and wind up who knows where.

“If you can’t legally shoot at powder burner levels, you shouldn’t be trying the same with high fpe air guns”.  Quote by me August 2016

Yes, my 223 shooting 50gr bullets or my 22-250 shooting 55 gr bullets is a total different thing … the bullets explode…. a 60gr bullet going 950 fps will keep on traveling for a very long distance till it runs out of gas or it hits something solid.

wll2506

Link

T3PRanch
    Participant

“ajshoots”Yes, LW uses an oversized .25 land and groove size as do others in the airgun world. Would be nice if airgun makers would standardize barrel dimensions like the firearms world does.

BTW, Airforce uses LW barrels by my last count. Does Airforce have LW make barrels to Airforce’s desired size or did AF give an incorrect response to your email?

They are custom according to my inquiry in which I stated standard LW sizing to AF and their reply was Standard LW were close but…..

What is the Crosman factory .25 measured at?

I have shot Hornady 50 Grain spitzers in my 220 swift for the last 42 years and they come apart on a blade of grass. 

Thurmond

Link

ajshoots
    Participant

Yes Thurmond, got love high velocity centerfires!! That is why I shoot a .204 around here. Blade of grass is all it takes to turn that bullet into dust.

Most .25 Marauder barrels that I have measured are .252″ prior to the choke. Around .249-.250″ out of the choke if I remember correctly. Normally don’t worry about the choke size.

Link

ajshoots
    Participant

Well, it doesn’t shoot eunjins worth a damn. They are probably going too fast. Since it won’t shoot them very well and I am still not much of an Airforce fan, it is listed in the classifieds.

Link

JoeWayneRhea
    Participant

That thing well sell fast to someone who can hunt with an airgun . Its good of you to let potential buyer know what it likes to save em a little money on bullets . It’ll probably be sold by days end

Link

wll2506
    Participant

I have been testing my new used 25, I’m averaging 915 fps for 5 shots with 72gr bullets and going out today to see if I can get the valve to get a bell curve going, I’m dropping the PW to 4/0and slightly higher pressure in my tank. Not shooting pellets at all as this gun as it is strictly a predictor hunting gun and that’s it. I very well may get a 500cc 4500 psi carbon tank from china and set pressure for shooting at 3300psi I’m thinking that may be the safest option to get a bell curve for this gun.

AJ, yes, this gun is a powerhouse at over 100fpe at 140 yds ! I’m extremely careful of where I shoot it. This is NOT your “I’ll use my 2-4 inch airgun duct seal airgun target as a backstop gun” I would never ever shoot this gun in my back yard unless shooting a hi power 22 is OK shooting in your back yard !

I have posted a few pics of this gun cause she is pretty cool, Here is one I posted on some other forums.

wll2506

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.