.257 Extreme Hollow Point meets the "Bunny"!

I finally got my molds back from Erik at Hollow Point Bullet Mold Service. This one began life as an Arsenal 85 gr. Flat point .257 mold.

Erik worked his magic on it and it is now an Extreme Hollow Point Mold and throws an 78 gr bullet out of pure lead. I sized to .2575 exactly.

I took my Condor with the new R&L 32" .257 barrel out this evening to check these new bullets. I had been shooting
my trusted JSB .25 heavies at 34 gr. and the point of impact was surprisingly identical. I made a few test shots here and there and was returning to the house when I spied one of my local cotton tail rabbits (they are about 24 strong). I usually do not take any near the house but this time I made an exception. It was 50 or 60 yards, deep dusk, Rabbit lounging in a relaxed pose. I clicked off the safety and lined up for a heart lung shot. I slowly squeezed the trigger with a resounding BOOM (these long barrel Condors are LOUD!) and saw the rabbit go to a low crouch position indicating I had shot
high. I walked to where the rabbit was and found it on its side...dead.....lights out. Initially I could not find a wound and though the rabbit must have been scared to death :p . The bullet had passed through his shoulder (completely shattering it to bits), the lung, heart, other lung and lodged in the far shoulder. The rabbit never jumped or moved. It was instant expiration. Expansion was about double at .47" It is amazing because the standard diabolo pellet passes completely through a cotton tail as do my 52 gr. .25 ACP hand cast round nose bullets.

Needless to say I am VERY happy with these new bullets and can't wait to get some into some dog sized predators.

Thurmond

Funny you talk about them in the lounging position. The cotton tails at my house have become very tame. A lot of the time they'll just lay on their side and let you walk by really close. Pretty common for them to hop into the backyard to munch on my bermudagrass while I'm shooting off the porch.
Sounds like you have a great Jackrabbit and prairie dog gun Thurmond..
Jimmy

@Michael Yea I know but I don't have a smart phone since they do not work at my location and I rarely have a camera at dusk since ambient lighting is a big deal without a flash. I like photography and I like hunting BUT I have trouble integrating the two without impacting the experience.

@jking I know a guy that has some of his bunnies so tame they come when called and take food from his hand.
(PS on a separate note you might want to be waiting at the Auto Parts Store my friend)

@wll2506 chronyed the gun at 2000 psi and got 800 fps (111 ft/lb) and at 3000 psi got 900 fps (140 ft/lb) (reweighed my projectiles with new batteries and they weigh 78 grains)

Note: the "Cat" enjoyed this bunny greatly! What was left over is tonight's Coyote bait (time to try out the new NiteSite Viper). ;)

Thurmond