.250 bullet shooter build.

Well, after alot of trouble I have finished building this gun. However, it isn't shooting bullets because they just didn't shoot great. I got good accuracy from 37gr and 45gr bullets, but not good enough for how expensive bullets are. I put the TJ barrel up on the shelf and put the stock barrel back on the breech. Suprisingly, 43gr eunjins shoot really good from the stock barrel. Since I already have a .25 that shoots jsb king extremely well and this gun didn't make the cut to shoot bullets, eunjins it is.

I have settled on a tune for the 43gr Eunjins of 67fpe. 8 shots at 1.5% ES and 12 shots at 3.8% ES.

Couple things for anyone who might be interested in the WAR parts. I have 2 of their original valves and 1 of their newest valves. My new valves doesn't seem to make the power the older ones do. The older valves required less hammer spring to make power compared to this new valve. Also, the WAR no bounce hammer is of no value past 60fpe. I tried multiple tunes with both stock hammer and the WAR NBH. I had absolutely zero gains using the WAR hammer in comparison to the stock hammer at 60-70fpe. I also have the WAR NBH in 2 other guns that make 48 and 53fpe. At those power levels the NBH is more efficient than a stock hammer.

My goal was sub moa accuracy for this build. I was barely able to get moa accuracy hence the reason I gave up on bullets. I did get a couple moa groups at 75 yards, but not consistantly. I would say 1.5moa was the average group size. I do feel that bullets in the 37-45gr range are to short for the 1:22 twist TJ barrel. I chose 37-45gr bullets based on the known power output of the WAR valve/marauder platform. A gun with more available power would probably shoot great with 50gr and heavier bullets from the 1:22 barrel. Instead of trying the unkown, I will be buying a .257 Condor and would assume that will end my quest for bullet shooting accuracy.

Although everyone has seen a Marauder, here is a picture of my finished project. I haven't decided on a scope yet, so it is wearing a good old CP 4-16 wally world special till I decide. Parts used: WAR valve, hammer, barrel band, and air tube extension. Hill one piece extended shroud. Had a TJ barrel and Gaska front shroud mount, but they are on the shelf.

Dan, One of the bullet makers whos bullets I tried calculated 1:26 as being optimal for his 38gr bullets. I would say he was probably really close in his calculations. As bullet length increased, accuracy did as well. I have had a good solid grasp of firearms twist rates but I can't say the same for airguns. I am basing my thoughts on results of this barrel and the bullets I tried in it. That is the only first hand experience I have with airgun bullets so I am extremely far from an expert.

I also agree that 40fpe is more than ample for squirrels and almost all other small game. This gun will be used for coyotes and groundhogs so I gave it some extra fpe!!