Tuning .25 Taipan Veteran Long to Mod or Hold Off ?

I polished my barrel over the weekend, and I will have to shoot some groups to verify that it got rid of the flyer issue I mentioned on another thread. I do intend on buying a slug barrel in the future to make this a more long range setup.

I did purchase a huma regulator set to 145bar, power plenum, and power hammer spring that will arrive today or tomorrow. My question is whether to install these items now or wait till I have the barrel?

I have heard individuals say not to mess with the stock reg, bug I do not know what it is set. I currently launch 33.95 JSB pellets at about 900 FPS with the hammer spring maxed. I figured if I was already taking the air tube off this would be a good time to swap, and I could get the stock one set at a known value as a spare. It never hurts to have spare parts available.

At a minimum, I plan on swapping out the spring when the parts arrive.

Thoughts?

You probably have the better reg in the gun now, how is the consistency on a chrono run? I would back off the HST to around 875 and then leave it alone, unless accuracy or chrono evaluation indicates a problem.

It appears the accuracy opens up either direction away from about 900fps with the 33.95's, which are the only pellets I have in JSB. I do have some Barracuda and Barracuda hunters that seems to show some promise at close range. I would prefer sticking to the higher weight pellet for energy on pest like groundhogs. 

The consistency is fine, it seems as the rifling at breach may have been causing some galling of the lead from the pellets.

Get ONE setup to work correctly.

The hammer spring is maxed out and that's probably not ideal for ES or shot count so maybe back off and shoot 25grain or settle for 33grain moving slower.

That factory setting is thought to be 140bar.

I don't have 25gr pellets, and the 33.95's seem to like the 890's to 900 range with this barrel. The only other pellets I have are the H&N's pointed out above. 

Dave, I'm not sure of your intentions. If this is just an interim setup awaiting a higher power application, then I wouldn't spend much time tuning it for standard power. If consistency and accuracy are good at 900 fps, then it seems to me your work is done, shoot and be happy. Obviously, everything will change when you go to a longer barrel and higher power. 

Dave, I went back and read all the threads you posted before, did you verify that the flier issue is resolved? I wouldn’t do anything until you fix the issues you have mentioned previously. Either way, installing the parts you have purchased isn’t going to help much until you get the longer barrel that can shoot slugs accurately. I’m not aware of many GOOD pellets heavier than the 34 grain JSB so more power isn’t needed until you can use slugs. Also, if you are still having flier issues I would contact the dealer you purchased it from (if you bought it new) to see if they can give you some help. I would assume the dealer would rather not receive a modded rifle and that could void any type of warranty you might have. Ed gives you some great advice in the post above, if the flier issue is fixed then shoot it and be happy until your slug barrel gets here.

I would drop in the hammer spring, see what it maxes at then. Then drop in the power plenum and see what that does. Then drop in the regulator if you want. The factory regulator is awesome, so that would be my last step. 

It's tedious and there's a lot of testing in between changes, but changing too many things at once makes it hard to see what each element is doing.

Want BIG power ... have a NEW hammer made that weighs more, or add some weight to the factory one.

Increase the valve seats throat area trying NOT TO require using a larger poppet head diameter and a PEEK poppet too !!

Hey Scott. What's the functional difference between the factory hammer weight being pushed faster with a heaver hammer spring vs a heavier hammer with the stock spring? Is it just a matter of cocking effort and the jump of the shot cycle?

At any given pressure ( Regulated ) the weight if you will holding the poppet closed is a constant. There is energy absorbed in the hammer strike overcoming this and getting valve to open. Lighter a hammer is, quicker will its forward momentum stop and switch direction toward poppet closing. Adding weight to a already light hammer ( taipans have VERY light hammers ) increases the hang time of poppet in the open to close cycle. ( This is DWELL ) which has the valve having the same strike energy flow air for a longer period.

Adding more spring pressure on an already LIGHT hammer only increases the poppets lift off the seat. A poppet lift quits flowing more air when the Area under the seat equals that of the throats area. So in many instances while more lift does slow down the open/close cycle a small amount, it does not necessarily release more air relative to an increase in Dwell time at a lower lift height. 

There is a lot more to this simple stated explanation, but the general idea of whats happening remains.

At any given pressure ( Regulated ) the weight if you will holding the poppet closed is a constant. There is energy absorbed in the hammer strike overcoming this and getting valve to open. Lighter a hammer is, quicker will its forward momentum stop and switch direction toward poppet closing. Adding weight to a already light hammer ( taipans have VERY light hammers ) increases the hang time of poppet in the open to close cycle. ( This is DWELL ) which has the valve having the same strike energy flow air for a longer period.

Adding more spring pressure on an already LIGHT hammer only increases the poppets lift off the seat. A poppet lift quits flowing more air when the Area under the seat equals that of the throats area. So in many instances while more lift does slow down the open/close cycle a small amount, it does not necessarily release more air relative to an increase in Dwell time at a lower lift height. 

There is a lot more to this simple stated explanation, but the general idea of whats happening remains.

Where can one get a heavier hammer or what is the best way to increase the weight of the stock one?

That makes quite a bit of sense. Thank you!

Where can one get a heavier hammer or what is the best way to increase the weight of the stock one?

Here you go. 

https://talontunes.com/shop/veteran-power-spring/