Fresh from FedEx.. Unboxing my new .25 Sumatra

Forums PCP Airguns Fresh from FedEx.. Unboxing my new .25 Sumatra

• Views : 1413
  • Link

blackdiesel
    Participant

“travels4fun”Observations from first day shooting:

I don’t like the magazine. Pellets fall out and trying to seat it in the breach while making sure the cocking lever is fully extended is a bit or a pain. I suspect over time I’ll get used to it.

Are you loading pellets skirt first from the front of the magazine?

Link

Michael
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

Lots of spiraling there!

Link

travels4fun
    Participant

Some slow motion footage shooting coffee capsules with spiraling clearly evident.

Link

travels4fun
    Participant

I know. Those were Benjamin 27.8 gr pellets on mid power too. The gun is a beast.

Link

travels4fun
    Participant

@blackdiesel I only load the EunJins skirt first. The Benjamins and H&N’s load head first without problem. I was shooting the Benjamin pellets at 1/2 power in the video where I filmed slow motion footage shooting coffee capsules. You can see some spiraling even at that power.

Link

blackdiesel
    Participant

Yeah that’s a lot of spiraling.  On my gun with the wheel set at the first red dot 6 clicks the Benjamin domes are stable.  

Link

travels4fun
    Participant

I’ll chalk it up to the rifle still needs to be broken in. If it continues, I can always have it exchanged since I bought it from PA.

@blackdiesel @Nomadic Pirate @neilclague

Do you guys have any advice or tips I should be aware of with regards to the Sumatra? I was wondering if the trigger can be adjusted for one. Secondly, does the rifle need to be completely degassed to clean the barrel?

Thanks,
    Scott

Link

blackdiesel
    Participant

I never degass just to clean the barrel.  There is a way to adjust the trigger but I just left mines alone.  Call Boris at PA and he can explain how to do it.  The biggest thing is to find the right power setting for a particular pellet.  For me the Kings performed best in the low 900s but the Benjamin domes seem to be better even at 950 fps.  I have some Barracudas but I don’t remember where I had them set for.  I do recall they were close to both the Kings and Benjamin Domes in performance though. 

Link

EddieB
    Participant

Congrats!  Call me a contrarian, but the Sumatra looks good.  In fact, since Neil makes LDCs for them, I’m saving up for the carbine. 

Link

Nomadic Pirate
    Blocked
    Blocked

“travels4fun”I’ll chalk it up to the rifle still needs to be broken in. If it continues, I can always have it exchanged since I bought it from PA.

@blackdiesel @Nomadic Pirate @neilclague

Do you guys have any advice or tips I should be aware of with regards to the Sumatra? I was wondering if the trigger can be adjusted for one. Secondly, does the rifle need to be completely degassed to clean the barrel?

Thanks,
    Scott

If you haven’t cleaned the barrel yet I’m not surprising those pellets are flying wonky :) :)  …No need to degas Just run clean the barrel like any other rifle I really like MAC1 pull through tool.

When you open the lever you see a Hex screw, I use to adjust that one a bit for the trigger.

Link

jobobo
    Participant

I think it looks cool.  But then again I like the Benjamin Bulldog for looks too =).
    But nice post and video, much appreciated.

Link

travels4fun
    Participant

“Nomadic Pirate”
    If you haven’t cleaned the barrel yet I’m not surprising those pellets are flying wonky :) :)  …No need to degas Just run clean the barrel like any other rifle I really like MAC1 pull through tool.

When you open the lever you see a Hex screw, I use to adjust that one a bit for the trigger.

Nomadic Pirate

Thanks. Actually the first thing I did was to clean the barrel before taking her out to shoot. The barrel wasn’t too dirty to be honest. I’ll have a go at the hex screw to see if I can make the trigger a tad lighter.

Scott

Link

travels4fun
    Participant

“jobobo”I think it looks cool.  But then again I like the Benjamin Bulldog for looks too =).
    But nice post and video, much appreciated.

Thanks. It’s actually looks better in the flesh than it is in pictures.

Link

travels4fun
    Participant

“blackdiesel”I never degass just to clean the barrel.  There is a way to adjust the trigger but I just left mines alone.  Call Boris at PA and he can explain how to do it.  The biggest thing is to find the right power setting for a particular pellet.  For me the Kings performed best in the low 900s but the Benjamin domes seem to be better even at 950 fps.  I have some Barracudas but I don’t remember where I had them set for.  I do recall they were close to both the Kings and Benjamin Domes in performance though. 

Thanks. I am still trying to get a handle on how the power adjustment works. It would be a whole lot easier if I had a chronograph but I don’t anymore.

Link

NeilClague
    Spectator
    Spectator

Scott I think that if the Sumatra only had one air tube and the fore grip was smaller it would actually be a very good looking gun, but the 2nd air tube really helps with the shot count, without it, I think it would be a real air hog. I think it is an acquired taste, I used to think they were odd looking guns, but now I have one the looks have grown on me. It is for sure a great gun for the price though, I may actually buy a 25 caliber one myself, it will be the only 25 caliber air gun I will have, but having got the bug from the 22 caliber one I want one of the 25 caliber versions. I have to feed my pellets in skirt first, otherwise the mag catches and damages the pellets. Once Lee told me about feeding them skirt first it has been a breeze to load it, Neil.

Link

travels4fun
    Participant

“NeilClague”Scott I think that if the Sumatra only had one air tube and the fore grip was smaller it would actually be a very good looking gun, but the 2nd air tube really helps with the shot count, without it, I think it would be a real air hog. I think it is an acquired taste, I used to think they were odd looking guns, but now I have one the looks have grown on me. It is for sure a great gun for the price though, I may actually buy a 25 caliber one myself, it will be the only 25 caliber air gun I will have, but having got the bug from the 22 caliber one I want one of the 25 caliber versions. I have to feed my pellets in skirt first, otherwise the mag catches and damages the pellets. Once Lee told me about feeding them skirt first it has been a breeze to load it, Neil.

Thanks Neil. I’ll try loading all of the pellets skirt first from now on.

Link

Nomadic Pirate
    Blocked
    Blocked

Yeah !!!!! …only load pellets skirt first.

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.