.25 RAW LRT and slugs

I ordered recommended slugs from Dale Riggert over the weekend and they arrived perfectly packaged on Wednesday. Fabulous service and very personal, too. Highly recommend Dale if you have similar interests.

Dale sent me the 32.80 large hollow points and the 33.00 S-2 nose. This morning, after adjusting the zero for each slug, at 50 yards and with only a very slight breeze, the best the rifle would do with each of these slugs was about a 2" group. The same rifle shoots the JSB King Heavy pellets into one large hole at 50 yards, typically no more than 1/2" in size. The Nielsen slugs I shot a few weeks ago did better, but none of the "typically" best slugs sent to me by either party performs as well out to 100 yards as do the JSB King Heavy 33.95s in terms of consistent grouping and accuracy.

There is no doubt in my mind that the VK and/or Nielsen slugs very likely hit with more energy and killing authority, but accuracy is always my number one priority. So, from here on out, it is pellets only for me and my applications.

None of this is meant to be negative toward D-Rig or Nielsen - both gave fabulous service and delivered a perfectly consistent high-quality product. My rifle was just designed for something different, and it shows....

Just FYI...

No one seems to want to admit the elephant in the room. The technology is still developing for this caliber and power and and and .

I also bought some VK 32.8 and they shot pretty well, 3/4" inch at 50 out of my Crown. I need reorder and try out of the RAW.

What is interesting is the 32.8 are 2 gns lighter 20fps faster than KH and hit 1"out right and low?

Dennis

1557451928_11894032695cd4d4981bf637.98354187_11946CBB-BD8A-4739-9576-9AC86F9CDB04.jpeg
Photos of the comparison discussed in original post above, and you are exactly right although I have corrected in this photo - right and low - must be due to increased spin.

You will have much better luck experimenting with sizing them. I tested the VKs extensively (unsized) out of my .25 HMx this last few weeks: 

Unsized:

• 32.80gr shot decently at 825-850fps
  • 33gr didn't shoot well over 800fps, but did well from 760-775 (the one day I shot them with no wind)
  • 31.5gr shot well at most speeds between 850-940fps, even better when I wrapped my outter barrel with large o-rings

Sized:

• 32.80's really tightened up at 875fps and above sized with the .249 NOE bushing (producing .2485 diameter)
  • Didn't test any of the others sized (I'm selling my rifle)

I think the 33gr's might work better out of a choked barrel like an LW, but I'd encourage you to test out different sized rounds at different velocities to see for yourself. Also, as Bob says - harmonics do play an issue - I have seen this first hand, don't be afraid to slap some fat o-rings on the barrel and test!

The poly barrels in the newer RAWs have a bore diameter of .248 and a groove diameter of .254. I hope that helps :)

No one seems to want to admit the elephant in the room. The technology is still developing for this caliber and power and and and .

I also bought some VK 32.8 and they shot pretty well, 3/4" inch at 50 out of my Crown. I need reorder and try out of the RAW.

Dennis

Agreed

Also Been pellets and slugs so different, is hard for me to understand using the same barrel twist rate for both. In 0.22 experience, the pellet barrel (liner on fx) shoots only 2 slugs good (after test 19, 21,22.5, 23, 24, 26, 28, 30, 33 grains), but the slug barrel, almost all good with the correct tuning.

Waiting for the 0.25 slug barrel to test that cal, the 32.8 doesn't shoot too good out of my 0.25 700mm pellet liner.