.25 Marauder SSG project.

Honestly I didn't know the free-flight hammer mod existed until after I'd already installed the SSG. I've heard both can do about the same for performance. The one thing that I see though between the two that'd still make me pick the SSG over the FFH is this. Ease of repair and maintenance. I always take the worst case scenario into account when it comes to what could happen.

If for some reason the nylon coupler became damaged I wouldn't for the life of me know where to get one on short notice to fix my Marauder. With the lock-nut on the SSG if for some reason it failed its just a simple matter of going to Home-Depot, Lowes, etc. to get another one. Also with the FFH it looks like it has to be disassembled completely to change out the spring. With the SSG its just a matter of removing the lock-nut and out comes the spring. 

These are just my assumptions. I'm no expert on either of the mods. However, a simple SSG could be made at home for the same or less than the price of the FFH. The difference though would be it wouldn't be self contained like the one I bought from WAR is.

All that said, anything that gives a Marauder a better shot count through reducing or eliminating hammer bounce is good to have.

Long term maintainability is of course a valid concern, and airgun accessories tend to incorporate hard to find or custom parts - for example there's the custom spring used in WAR's SSG, springs being a category of part known to frequently have a finite service life. However, in the FFH coupler case, a simple call to the vendor would fix you up with any of the FFH components you might need.

On top of which, of course, is the fact you could buy three complete FFH kits for the price of one SSG and keep two on the shelf for spare parts! LOL!

Meanwhile, it's interesting that you knew about WAR's SSG before you saw the FFH, considering the FFH was actually on the market first.

I've been following the SSG development at GTA since Bob Sterne first posted it. I was initially sceptical, then curious, then envious. If I can eek out another 16 shots per fill I'll be a very happy camper to be sure. I think that the AoA version of the SSG was released the same day that I ordered mine from WAR. I might try there's on my P-Rod.