.25 FX Impact What Moderator Got You The Best Noise Reduction?

I’ve used three different Clague’s, the stock FX moderator, the DonnyFL Sumo and Shogun and the larger 0Db on my Impact. They’re all pretty close except the FX is a bit louder than the others, still not bad though. Of the rest the Shogun was the best at reducing report but way too heavy and long for my liking. It caused barrel droop. It was very quiet because of it’s larger size though. Of the Sumo, Clague and 0Db moderators, the Sumo is the least effective and heaviest but still works great, the Clagues and 0Db are about the same and also very effective. I wen’t with the 0Db because it works great and is super cool looking. Keep in mind, all of these moderators were within a few decibels of each other, not much difference between any of them except the Shogun which has a much larger total volume. Most of the moderators of the same size are pretty similar in effectiveness although other factors do make a huge difference in performance. There are always tests and comparisons that show the moderator’s decibel level but very rarely is the decibel level the only factor that's important. How we perceive the sound is also critically important because we all perceive sound so differently. I don’t hear “low” sounds at all, so I love when a moderator causes the report to have a low pitch/tone rather than a sharp high pitched “ping”. Factors to consider that can increase a moderators effectiveness are; total internal volume, length vs. width, tight tolerances, material used for the exterior, materials used for internals, how many baffles/chambers and ports, internal design, is there sound deadening/absorbing materials used, etc... Like Motörhead suggested, the gun’s FPE will obviously have a huge effect on the sound. A 35FPE Impact and a 85FPE Impact are going to sound very differently! Also hugely important is what you think looks good on your gun and the price! When you get your Impact all set up with the scope, rings, moderator and whatever else you put on it, make sure to post some pictures. I know you’re proud of the new Impact so show it off!!! I’d love to see it and some groups. Have a great rest of your Sunday!

Stoti

P.S. Here are some moderators of varying sizes, by several makers, made of different materials.

B0E21111-5A20-4BEE-A698-CDA5065AE00F.1601840333.jpeg
55277537-FFE7-4036-A261-05FD221AD70E.1601840415.jpeg
02CE60DB-4FE5-4ED7-BC35-4ACC5318C683.1601840593.jpeg

36D5C885-C9F4-4ACE-BBAC-97C9B4C0F8AB.1601840778.jpeg
7BA925C8-0965-4827-A50D-1ABC1F3C9E8E.1601841016.jpeg

Reactions: weehooker
Listen to 
1f446.svg
1f446.svg
1f446.svg
guy , he knows what his talking about .

I got ronnin on my impact .25 and I'm very happy with it.

B

Curious on that one Ernest seems to like that one too from the videos he posts. Do you go a caliber up on the moderator?

On Impact , yes one caliber up.

Donny recommends same caliber moderator if going directly over the barrel and one up if going over the shroud or liner 

B

Interesting to see this, since last night I sat down with my Impact (700mm, .25) and three moderators to see what difference, if any, I could discern. I have to agree 100% with Stoti. I tested the Donny FL Shogun, the 0dB 110C, and the FX stock (hollow) moderator. I used the Decibel X app on my iPhone, with the phone placed consistently 8 inches below the moderator and approximately 6 inches ahead of the muzzle.The actual dB readings are really only valid in comparing the three readings, since they are not calibrated to any objective standard.

The FX mod was definitely the loudest, both subjectively (as in, it sounded loudest to me) and from the data on the app. The 0dB and the Shogun were actually quite close, with the Shogun having an edge.

The data are as follows:

Shogun Max 95.7 dB, Peak 105.4 dB; 0dB Max 97.9 dB, Peak 107.6 dB; FX Hollow Max 103.8 dB, Peak 113.6 dB

However, the one that I keep on my Impact is the 0dB. It is 4.25” long, compared to the Shogun which is 8” long, and the outside diameter is 1.25” versus 1.6”. In addition it weighs much less. Now to be fair, my Shogun is a .30 cal model, but this was recommended by Donny to eliminate potential clipping. Overall though, the 0dB is shorter, thinner and lighter with a barely noticeable difference in suppression and that wins for me.

Chris

Interesting to see this, since last night I sat down with my Impact (700mm, .25) and three moderators to see what difference, if any, I could discern. I have to agree 100% with Stoti. I tested the Donny FL Shogun, the 0dB 110C, and the FX stock (hollow) moderator. I used the Decibel X app on my iPhone, with the phone placed consistently 8 inches below the moderator and approximately 6 inches ahead of the muzzle.The actual dB readings are really only valid in comparing the three readings, since they are not calibrated to any objective standard.

The FX mod was definitely the loudest, both subjectively (as in, it sounded loudest to me) and from the data on the app. The 0dB and the Shogun were actually quite close, with the Shogun having an edge.

The data are as follows:

Shogun Max 95.7 dB, Peak 105.4 dB; 0dB Max 97.9 dB, Peak 107.6 dB; FX Hollow Max 103.8 dB, Peak 113.6 dB

However, the one that I keep on my Impact is the 0dB. It is 4.25” long, compared to the Shogun which is 8” long, and the outside diameter is 1.25” versus 1.6”. In addition it weighs much less. Now to be fair, my Shogun is a .30 cal model, but this was recommended by Donny to eliminate potential clipping. Overall though, the 0dB is shorter, thinner and lighter with a barely noticeable difference in suppression and that wins for me.

Chris

Thank you so 0db reccomends getting the same caliber your shooting?

The data are as follows:

Chris

Thank you so 0db reccomends getting the same caliber your shooting?

That’s been the case for me so far. I have two, one for .177/.22 (which is on my .22 Crown) and the .25 one that I have on my Impact currently. Never had a problem with either.

Chris

With my Impact and every other airgun I have tried, I haven’t found any moderator to be worth a change for a significant sound improvement. They have all been barely different, if I could tell a difference. Most of the time, it had been more of a time difference.

I would go with the one you like the looks of.

Size does affect the barrel drop on many rifles and it does on the impact. The heavier moderators did lower the POA more than lighter ones. 

With my Impact and every other airgun I have tried, I haven’t found any moderator to be worth a change for a significant sound improvement. They have all been barely different, if I could tell a difference. Most of the time, it had been more of a time difference.

Size does affect the barrel drop on many rifles and it does on the impact. The heavier moderators did lower the POA more than lighter ones. 

I would have to say that I definitely hear a difference with all of my FX PCPs (Impact, Crown and Dreamline) between no moderator and having the moderator on. I have confirmed this many times, including having my wife and her friends comment on how loud the gun was when shooting without a moderator. With the mods on they all comment that the sound of the pellet hitting the target or backstop is older than the gun. As for the difference between moderators, that is clearly more subjective. I have to listen carefully to decide which is louder. I can tell, but only if I am listening. When i am outside shooting the differences between the mods get swamped by the overall ambient noise. Still a big difference between no mod and having a mod (any mod) attached, at least to those guns.

Chris

One thing I look for in moderators is not just how loud the gun is but what frequencies the moderator blocks. I live in an area where it is against the law to shoot air guns so I need to be quiet when testing my tuning and shooting at about 15 yards into a bullet trap. I want a moderator that if someone hears me shooting they won't think it is an air gun. Problem is that pellets or slugs hitting my rubber mulch bullet trap are louder than the guns.

One thing I look for in moderators is not just how loud the gun is but what frequencies the moderator blocks. I live in an area where it is against the law to shoot air guns so I need to be quiet when testing my tuning and shooting at about 15 yards into a bullet trap. I want a moderator that if someone hears me shooting they won't think it is an air gun. Problem is that pellets or slugs hitting my rubber mulch bullet trap are louder than the guns.

So have you found one that fits your needs?

I would have to say that I definitely hear a difference with all of my FX PCPs (Impact, Crown and Dreamline) between no moderator and having the moderator on. I have confirmed this many times, including having my wife and her friends comment on how loud the gun was when shooting without a moderator. With the mods on they all comment that the sound of the pellet hitting the target or backstop is older than the gun. As for the difference between moderators, that is clearly more subjective. I have to listen carefully to decide which is louder. I can tell, but only if I am listening. When i am outside shooting the differences between the mods get swamped by the overall ambient noise. Still a big difference between no mod and having a mod (any mod) attached, at least to those guns.

Chris

Well yeah... using something is definitely quieter than nothing. That was not what I meant, so maybe I should have been more clear. I just meant that buying the $200 one hasn’t been consistently better than a $100 one. Some were a little quieter, but didn’t present the value for me. I really think people think they are going to get a much bigger difference between moderators than they will actually get. 

I bought the 3-D printed, plastic insert for the standard FX moderator. Has 3 air stripping chambers and reduced already quiet report dramatically. Trenier Outdoors $30
Reading this above I got the same thing. Noticeably quieter for $18 plus shipping. Though (at least the ones I got) are a bit short for the M3's moderator. They were made for prior models. They do slide around a bit. Not an issue for me, as I am not moving around with the rifle.

I’ve tried a lot of them and either the Donnyfl Shogun or Huggett Magna are the best performers. I’ve tested them indoors and this is where you really notice a difference as the sound echoes and is much louder and easier to distinguish the difference.
...I haven’t tried the emperor yet because it’s just too big.
I have the emperor v3 on my AF Texan SS .457. It reduced the sound (measured off I phone) from 106 to 100. I just bought an extender. Hopefully that will reduce it closer to my target value of 95dB. After installing the emperor, it seemed like the “thwack” of the 290 grain slug penetrating 2” of plywood (backed by rub of rubber mulch) was louder than the action noise. Definitely a difference between stock SS and Donny FL.