.25 enough for humane body shots on squirrels?

"head shot" = good eating.

If the below is to scale, hitting that tiny heart would not be easy, but it being hit by a .177 .22 or a .25 at speed would be like a human sized heart being hit by a cannon ball.

8802102_orig.jpg

I ALL WAYS harvest the squirrels around here with heart lung shots. DRT every time, no flip flopping etc.

Most taken with a .177 at 12 fpe too !!

It's hard to know what to think, sometimes. I've seen full videos of people taking squirrels with body shots, even with .177, but on the other hand my marauder pistol has bounced pellets right off squirrels. I have a .25 coming today, as well as a .177, and am thinking I may be relegating my marauder pistol to plinking, the .177 to headshots, and the .25 for body shots. It's interesting to see that .177 does seem to work for some people. I think some of it must be the power of the gun plus the tune, as well as of course the pellet weight and expansion potential. It doesn't seem to be "point and shoot," so to speak.

Something I noticed this summer..on CA ground squirrels

I previously used a .22 P-Rod at around 10FPE shooting 16gr JSB. Every single squirrel whether a head or heart/lung shot was DRT. No radical floppy stuff with the head shots either just PFFFT plop flop. None moved more than a couple inches.

i just switched to a Leshiy in .25 shooting 25.4 JSBs at around 29FPE. Regardless of shot location head or heart/lung there has not been a single DRT event. All shots hit vitals and were pass throughs. They all died but managed to move 5 to 30 feet prior to expiring. The head shots resulted in the classic flip flop and tail helicoptering.

My take on these observations is that the .22 expended most of it’s energy inside the squirrel versus the .25 leaving most of it’s energy in the backstop. 

Maybe an HP or PolyMag in .25 would have different results..IDK

Reactions: kingsqueak
For years (decades actually) I hunted squirrels with my .177 FWB 124 and never had a problem with either a head shot or a body shot. These days I hunt with a .22 HW 100 PCP that I tuned down to about 850 fps (for increased shot count) and find it to have plenty of power for both squirrels and rabbits. 

You will find your .25 to have more than enough power for humane kills. I would recommend an expanding pellet (like the Hades) for better energy transfer. 

For years (decades actually) I hunted squirrels with my .177 FWB 124 and never had a problem with either a head shot or a body shot. These days I hunt with a .22 HW 100 PCP that I tuned down to about 850 fps (for increased shot count) and find it to have plenty of power for both squirrels and rabbits. 

You will find your .25 to have more than enough power for humane kills. I would recommend an expanding pellet (like the Hades) for better energy transfer.

Vana2, I bought a FWB124 .177 in 1976 and killed a squirrel with in last year in 2019. Many other game animals also. Have fun, Scott