.25 EDgun Lelya 2.0, EDgun R5M Standard, or FX Wildcat MKII Compact?

Seeing that EDgun rifles are in stock at EDgunWest, now may be the time to act. Wanting to use lead free .25 pellets for our area. Read here that the magazine length on the Wildcat may be too short for some lead free pellets? Might a Huma regulator be more helpful with the lightweight pellets accurizing?

Looking for sturdy, less complicated maintenance, reliability, accuracy, and a seller that stands behind their product. Also could use a recommendation for a decent quality, good value hand pump to go to 300 bar (or 230 bar if the Wildcat is the choice). I read that many people are pleased with their Wildcat, so kind of interested in hearing from those who have compared the two in their purchase, or those who are delightfully endowed with both. Any comparisons between the Lelya and R5M standard are most welcome as well. Also open to tangential discussion, but really do not see any other brand of rifles that work for me (could be wrong) 

yep the VULCAN 2 is due to make a appearance hopefully soon ... gotta tell you i have a WILDCAT 1 ,, and its really nice anyone that has any of the 3 models loves them,, yes BRIAN has 1 RM5 in stock.. i look daily and i like it way better than the LEYLA 2 ... and its 20 times harder to obtain not many coning ove..r i think EDGUN does good by there customers and feel FX with the new usa plant does the same ,,,IF i wasnt saving for a 22 HM1000X i would have bought the RM5,,, 5 days ago when it posted ,, than theres the stx system and liners which i forgot abou..t to bad that they didnt put a power level wheel on the W C 2 it would be untouchable ,,good luck this should be a happy time for you PAT 

Thanks PAT. I should not have assumed the MKII had a power level wheel. This is a happy time, except for a sense of urgency should an EDgun be the choice.

Cranky1: Thanks! I did look at the Vulcan because of members here raving about it. It seems hard to get as well, and do prefer a synthetic stock, which Brian says that EDgun is working on currently, presumably for the R5M.

I don't usually get involved in questions about which brand people should choose, after all it's about what makes you happy. Life is short and sweet moments of getting a new toy is why we all love Airguns.

I do want to address one misconception however. I have way more than one R5M in stock .in fact EDguns are imported m in pretty fiar numbers . Often times you don't see them on my website for sale because they have been reserved.

Sorry for interrupting

Brian

been happy with my Hill MK2 hand pump. use it to fill my Ataman AP16 to 300 bar regularly, the very last couple pumps got to put my weight into it, but that's to get it all the way even to 300 bar. (very happy so far with the AP16, but you're looking ar rifle/bullpup not a pistol). Working on a backpack hand pump right now, will be putting together a thread on it when I have it finished.

From what I've seen owners of both the Wildcats and Leshiys love them. Haven't heard much about the Lelya, but the one guy i heard from loves it, seems to be a trend with Edguns, much like FX. Utah Airguns is realizing the Warcat, might be of interest to you, the new FX barrel with the full twist seems to be a worthy upgrade for the Wildcat as well.

If you're thinking pack gun in .25, the Leshiy seems to win peoples hearts over hands down. My hang up is the single shot, and folding in half to compact, those factors are what put me to the AP16.

I bought the Lelya 2.0 in .22. I have no problems with it. It's short length fits perfectly on my lap so i can sit comfortly I plug birds from my vehicle with the radio and air conditioning on. Shot 53 in two hours don't even remember missing even one under 65 yards
1532231752_13407515115b540048aa45f5.68551018_20180718_200605.jpg
1532231753_3123375965b540049287155.80107638_20180718_200556.jpg
1532231753_18178907715b540049848074.11942346_20180718_200530.jpg

I'm planning Putting it into my backpack and going mountain biking deep into untouched squirrel hunting territory this fall. It fits with no problems.

Harmless,

Thanks for your input. Please, please give us your perspective and experience with compact hand pumps when you can. Thinking this is something many of us would like. FX is said to be working on such a device, related to the mechanism on the Indy/Independence. Would prefer a pump that uses arm muscles more than back muscles, at least from an exercise point of view. There are also makers developing compact AC/DC capable electric pumps. That would fit into the target shooting scenarios my boy and I will get into hopefully sometime in the future. 

davidsng,

What a gorgeous tool! Love the pictures. Kind of worried my young son in the coming years might shoot his support hand with such a short gem as the Lelya; maybe should be more worried about me and old shooting habits. Have you done maintenance on your piece? Do you have any comparisons with perhaps the Wildcat? Have you used long pellets? Any details are most welcome. 

Brian, 

Please interrupt some more. You have responded at least 4 times to my email questions with alacrity and professionalism. That and the real-deal videos from Ed go far in building trust in workmanship and support. (A major dealer has seemingly ignored the one email question I asked them. Thinking I would go with the Utah folks if FX gets the nod). Will the long .25 pellets fit in the EDgun magazine? The easily removed breech portion of the EDguns is excellent, would you be so kind as to comment on o-ring replacement? How about as compared with the Wildcat? Will the Lelya be available with a synthetic stock in the foreseeable future? Please tell us why the R5M/Lelya is a better choice for a shooting tool that will be a workhorse without stablemates to fill in, if something breaks? 

From the guns you mentioned I would go with Edgun. The Leyla if you need a compact gun and aren't too concerned with shot count or power, R5M if you need some smackdown?

I haven't owned one of the new Edguns (only watched Ed and Brian's videos) but I did have an R3M and they are very simple to work on and maintain. I think Ed kept the R5 and Lelya the same, easy to fix in the field if needed.

I am guessing you picked these pups to choose from because of the forward side-lever cocking but have you considered the Taipan Veteran .25 (rear side-lever but talk about smooth, accurate and reliable!)?

I have not had a reason to take it apart yet, but judging from Ed's videos maintenance will be simple. I've shot a wildcat .22, once. It was a few years ago and with a synthetic stock. Quality seems about the same, but I swear Russian metal just has a more firm, ridged, and strong feeling. The Lelya comes with a moderator as standard, mag holders as standard, and walnut stock as standard. The Wildcat does not. They both have the same power output but the Lelya is shorter. Shot count is not bad either, a 210bar fill gives me over 30 shots (three mags, or one ). A 300bar fill gives me over six mag (two full sets of magazines). I only fill to 300 bar when I need the high shot count for a long day trip into the woods. As of accuracy out to about 75 yards it is a toss up between the WC and Lelya. It think, from what I read and remember, around 100 yards the wildcat is a little tighter due to the longer barrel and smooth twist which the lower twist rate stabilizes the pellet for longer ranges.

Grateful for all the replies

Tweeter, I too have watched EDgun videos, including the EDgunwest ones. Did you see Ed give the factory tour while the workers were on coffee break? I would say those machines were made in Germany or Japan but could be Russian or Korean for all I know. They looked very high quality. And yes, the forward cocking lever is much preferred; not a deal breaker if it does not have it though, if the gun otherwise holds promise.

Having read here the good things about the Taipan Veteran, it was clear they are worth a look. But kind of like the Vulcan, a person almost needs to know what they already want before going to a website to order. And if the vendor just doesn't 'connect' with one's personal perspective, it is hard to take a chance with such a considerable amount of money involved. So many videos really do not go into the more practical aspects of a gun. They mainly focus on some target patterns (which may be suspect) and the looks. Like so much internet fare, a person says the item is awesome and that is that. If the Taipan had in-depth demonstration of maintenance and discussion of dealer support that would be great. I don't care how it looks if it is functional (but the FX and EDgun are fetching to these eyes).

Cranky1, Thanks for mentioning Talon Tunes. Still not sure if the Vulcan2 is the 4th generation or not. rlairgunsupply comes up in search but they say they do not have them in stock, and once again, just not seeing the nuts-and-bolts kind of information desired. Interesting to hear about your feel on the FX Streamline. Seems like such a nice rifle with good design. And the Dreamline would be nice maybe, except for the rear cocking lever perhaps, and when it eventually surfaces in users hands..

davidsng, Really appreciate your information. Guessing you have not had it for a long enough time to have to do maintenance. The whole pellet thing is a bit daunting. Want to have heavy lead capability in case of a problem coyote or rabid dog and originally discussed with Brian about getting the R5M long for maximum take-down power. But a compact weapon will more likely be at hand when the time comes, and the above possibilities are rare indeed. Did see a rabid raccoon many years ago but it was too far gone to be an issue as long as everyone stayed clear.

Please, any member who has any perspective on this, chime in. summer is coming to a close in a couple weeks. The Lelya or R5M Standard may get sold out...

Have been looking around at the options. EDgun still at top of list. No power wheel on Wildcat is a factor. FX Bobcat not appealing. Repair issues with FX more than EDgun? Or is it just sheer numbers sold that makes it look like FX is more flouncy. Dreamline in bullpup would have cocking lever aft?

Checked out Vulcan2; nice. Watched (Arabic?) videos to get a sense of internals and design. Wish more info was out there. 

Love the way the Huben K1 was taken apart and discussed at length. A compact .25 in that might contend, but a lot of 'ifs, ands, and buts' going on there. 

Are alternative pellets polarizing with many shooters? No doubt lead is superior in basically every way. Might a longer lightweight pellet be more accurate, more aerodynamic, better sectional density? Yes, I am a newcomer to this, with enough personal knowledge to look even more foolish than your average noob.

Haven't researched with maximum effort yet, but would like to understand dynamics of pellet weight, barrel length and efficiency. In the more powerful air rifles, a longer barrel uses a given quantity of compressed air more efficiently, right? Is that less of a factor with lighter pellets tuned for accuracy, or are longer barrels better there as well, in terms of efficiency and effectiveness? 

Longer barrel almost always means more power and shot count. You can use less air per shot, therefore increase your shot count. So, most of the time a longer barrel is better.

But, there is something to say about a compact gun. Once your out into the field, a gun that is easly placed on your lap while driving around a farm, easy to throw into a backpack and go mountain biking into untouched hunting land, easy to squeeze through thick brush, or just to tuck under your arm and go under a barb wire fence, makes a short gun much more valuable than the benefits of a long one.

Plus, how often do you shoot an animal over 100 yards? Very rarley for me. Part of hunting is get as close as possible. If I see an animal slightly out of my Lelya's 14 inch barrel out of reach, Ill just sneak a little closer. To chose a gun that is 5" longer, just so it can shoot a quarter inch tighter at 120 yards is a bad decsion, in my opinion.

From the guns you mentioned I would go with Edgun. The Leyla if you need a compact gun and aren't too concerned with shot count or power, R5M if you need some smackdown
1f609.svg

I haven't owned one of the new Edguns (only watched Ed and Brian's videos) but I did have an R3M and they are very simple to work on and maintain. I think Ed kept the R5 and Lelya the same, easy to fix in the field if needed.

I am guessing you picked these pups to choose from because of the forward side-lever cocking but have you considered the Taipan Veteran .25 (rear side-lever but talk about smooth, accurate and reliable!)?

I nominate the Taipan Veteran shorty. 25 as well ?

Longer barrel almost always means more power and shot count. You can use less air per shot, therefore increase your shot count. So, most of the time a longer barrel is better.

But, there is something to say about a compact gun. Once your out into the field, a gun that is easly placed on your lap while driving around a farm, easy to throw into a backpack and go mountain biking into untouched hunting land, easy to squeeze through thick brush, or just to tuck under your arm and go under a barb wire fence, makes a short gun much more valuable than the benefits of a long one.

Plus, how often do you shoot an animal over 100 yards? Very rarley for me. Part of hunting is get as close as possible. If I see an animal slightly out of my Lelya's 14 inch barrel out of reach, Ill just sneak a little closer. To chose a gun that is 5" longer, just so it can shoot a quarter inch tighter at 120 yards is a bad decsion, in my opinion.

David, I take it that your Leyla is slightly different than that .357 Bulldog you used to own !! ?