.25 cal vs .30 cal ??????

"chasdicapua"The 34 gr. JSB's really did make the .25 caliber a viable alternative to the .30. Less than half the price for pellets and the BC for the JSB 34 gr is higher than the JSB 44 and 51 gr pellets. I don't hunt, so FPE is not an issue. Just long range accuracy. Sold my Boss and got a Royale 500. Can't wait to see what it will shoot like,.
I haven't tested this theory but I suspect that a 25 caliber pellet of the same weight as a 30cal has the potential for greater accuracy due to less surface area for wind resistance. I was looking at a 25 air rifle yesterday that was designed to shoot 89g cast bullets at 850fps specifically for long range shooting. Not an easy theory to test though.

There are too many other factors that affect accuracy. People are always advising others to try lots of different pellets to find the magic one for their gun. Perhaps the greater pellet choice in 25 cal means there is more chance of finding that pellet. 

Zebra that may be true in theory and I thought so too but it seems that the JSB's almost always come out on top anyway. That has been the case for me with my RAW HM1000x.25 and my .22 Marauder as well as for most people I think. I have tried most of the pellets out there and I always come back to JSB's so it seems safe to assume that the .30 would be the same.

My experience thus far is that the .30 is just an inherently accurate caliber. Only the .25 jsb heavies have the potential to match the .30. While I would take a .25 with heavies if I could only have one as I previously stated, there are advantages to the .30. In regards to hunting, since airguns don't perform on game like firearms, the larger diameter .30 does cause more damage compared to .25 based on increased diameter when comparing an equal fpe from .25 to .30.

"JoeWayneRhea"I know quiet is subjective to each person and where they shoot . But for me the 30 caliber is over the threshold of what I can get away with where I live . Shot count is Much less ,and there is just a point where you are pushing such a large volume of air that it is just gonna make more noise . Plus the noise of pellet impact is greater . I had a Hatsan 30 and it shot fine but I sold it to my shooting buddy after less than a tin of pellets .
I think that a 25 will do Most ( but not all ) that a 30 can do . Plus much larger selection of ammo . If you are shooting coyote size game and noise isn't such a big deal then the 30 would be the way to go for sure . When I'm hunting with a 25 I tend to think of it power wise as a 22 short ...The 30 was more like a hot long rifle 22 if that helps
Joe,
I agree with you 100%. many times when I'm "Out & About" I need to use a gun of lesser power and a lighter pellet because I have farm houses in the 500-600 range around my shooting zone... and an airgun shot at about 30deg with a heavy pellet like we hunt with will go that far or further ... I'm not in the mood to do any jail time ; - ) One of the reasons I'm thinking of a Talon SS for starlings and pigeons when I'm out shooting in trees and farm roofs, etc.

wll2506

"JoeWayneRhea"I've never had an Air Force so I can't speak to their noise factor . But a buddy has a 25 condor ...But not the SS version ...And that thing is LOUD !!! I've heard the talon as is fairly mild mannered
LOL, LOL, LOL !

Yes, the only reason I have them and can shoot them is because of the R&L shroud. The sound of those guns where I shoot and with farm houses 500yds away, would sound like a gun shot and draw attention to me ,,, I would not own the gun.

The reason I don't shoot my Careers/Sumatra much is because of the sound ... they too are very loud, and the moderator on those would pose trouble for me possibly as I live in Kalifornia and it could be interpreted as removable for use on a powder burner. My Discos have mods on them, but I don't bring them out much as again they are loud and would draw attention to me and could cause alarm to others. I'm very conscience about this and even though I'm very, very much on the up and up ... why draw attention to yourself !

One of the great things about the R&L shroud is the gun must be taken apart for it to be installed and it is of a design that can only be used with the adapter ring that is solely designed for the Condor barrel. The tube looks like a bull barrel not a silenced gun when installed ..... hence the reason I have no fear of using that unit on my Condor guns. The shrouds are also blue Loctited in the gun. The SS version of course uses the frame itself, so you are good to go with that system for sure .

wll2506

"wll2506"
"JoeWayneRhea"I've never had an Air Force so I can't speak to their noise factor . But a buddy has a 25 condor ...But not the SS version ...And that thing is LOUD !!! I've heard the talon as is fairly mild mannered
LOL, LOL, LOL !

Yes, the only reason I have them and can shoot them is because of the R&L shroud. The sound of those guns where I shoot and with farm houses 500yds away, would sound like a gun shot and draw attention to me ,,, I would not own the gun.

The reason I don't shoot my Careers/Sumatra much is because of the sound ... they too are very loud, and the moderator on those would pose trouble for me possibly as I live in Kalifornia and it could be interpreted as removable for use on a powder burner. My Discos have mods on them, but I don't bring them out much as again they are loud and would draw attention to me and could cause alarm to others. I'm very conscience about this and even though I'm very, very much on the up and up ... why draw attention to yourself !

One of the great things about the R&L shroud is the gun must be taken apart for it to be installed and it is of a design that can only be used with the adapter ring that is solely designed for the Condor barrel. The tube looks like a bull barrel not a silenced gun when installed ..... hence the reason I have no fear of using that unit on my Condor guns. The shrouds are also blue Loctited in the gun. The SS version of course uses the frame itself, so you are good to go with that system for sure .

wll2506
The Sumatra uses a 10mm x 1 barrel thread which means that a moderator made for it would not fit on any firearm without an adapter which isn't commonly available in America. As far a I know, there are no firearms that use a metric 10mm x 1 thread. From a legal point of view, I can't see how the Airforce device you describe is much different as, in both cases, an adapter and/ or mods would be needed to use on a firearm. On the other hand, I am not familiar with how California law differs from Federal.

On a federal level, there was a ruling that said, for a moderator not made to fit directly onto a firearm, there has to be proof of intent to use it on a firearm for charges of owning an illegal firearm to apply. Otherwise, anyone in possession of a potato or a car exhaust assembly could be convicted which clearly isn't the intent. In other words you need to be caught with it attached to a firearm to get into trouble.

If the issue in CA is about the moderator being removable, maybe you could glue it in place. I can't think of any scenario where I would want to fire a 25 cal Sumatra without a moderator anyway. The noise level on a Sumatra and a Condor are nothing like other 25 cal air guns I have used. They sound more like big bore air rifles. The 25 Sumatra or Career is as powerful or more powerful than many .30 air guns. I get 90-100ft lb if I use 51g cast bullets...

calBeen hunting with the 25 cal for many years and taken quite a few critters.
​Have to say though that this 30 Impact is absolutely devastating to anything it touches, especially with the Polymags !
​No more "crawl aways" or "flopping"......Just DOWN !!
Back yard plinking goes to the 25 cal though, 30 cal pellets are a might expensive.

I grappled with this recently and went with .30 cal. I think the more "horsepower" the rifle has, the more attractive .30 cal becomes. 

My RAW .30 is pushing almost 80 ft lbs energy with the 50gn JSB and printing 50 yard groups in the .300" range. It is INSANE. Rifles with less power would probably perform better in .25 cal though. 

Ted is getting phenomenal accuracy in .25, but his impact is tuned down to a power level that just doesn't make my pee pee tingle..

Brian

Can a 30 cal with a moderator be made relarively quite?

i am planning on getting either a 25 cal or a 30 cal FX impact or possibly crown. Probably the impact.

I have an FX wildcat 22. I live on 6 acres with houses at the edges in some areas. The 22 wildcat had a pretty good bark that in winter would echoes in the trees. I put a hugget moderator and it's extremely quiete with the moderator.

If the 30 cal impact with a huggett moderator would be even just a little quieter than a stock 22 wildcat without a mod then that would be fine on my property.