.25 CAL VS .30 CAL !!!!

Loaded ? .......I have a 177-22 for plinking and paper but don’t shoot them much, I have a few .25 caliber’s because I like the caliber for plinking metal out to 125 yards,shooting paper and then it’s a good caliber for small game hunting then I skipped the 30 and went to the .357 for bigger varmits like yotes and fox but yet it’s a good caliber for longer range targets then I have a .45 caliber for up to deer size animals and long range targets, I see no reason to have a 30 due to the caliber’s I have already, I see no reason to have a 25-30-357 unless you collect airguns. BUT if I started with let’s say a 22 caliber and from what I know now I would of then went with the 30 cal then add a 45, again that would also cover a lot with only 3 caliber’s and 3 guns. The only reason I would buy a 30 now is just to collect that caliber.
Eventually I will only have 4 Airguns in my collection and it will be my 25 for plinking and small game the .357 for medium game and target shooting, then the .45 for larger game and target shooting and then I’m adding a .25 just for bench shooting, my 177 and 22 will just be safe queens.

I've got the .30 Impact and absolutely love it. My favorite of all my guns by far. Others are nice too, a Streamline in .25 and a regulated S510, but that .30 is just more fun.

More expensive it's true, but smiles per shot are higher too. Love smacking steel targets with it, makes a resounding thump on impact. Shooting other smaller targets it's quite destructive.

Yes, IMHO the .30 is more fun than the others. I'd get the impact in something bigger if they made it. It's such a finely made rifle it's ridiculous.

7b7a6ef3537bbc8f2c6b5864635b81de.jpg

An interesting exercise to compare them is to set up two profiles in ChairGun or Strelock. For long distance hunting (perhaps plinking destruction), it's hard to argue the energy retention of the .30 using the JSB 44 or 50 grain as well as less wind susceptibility which you can also model in ballistics calculator and see it in the real world when shooting them back to back under equal conditions. From an accuracy standpoint, I don't see much difference (as long as wind is manageable speed).

From my vantage, I prefer to have both calibers for different hunting scenarios. The above observations are assuming comparison for a .25 shooting JSB 34 gr Fat Kings at or near 60fpe. For a .25 shooting at or near 50 FPE with .25 gr Skinny Kings the margin of difference with the .30 is much greater.

"Kev"Hvack the last time I checked there were well over twenty .25 pellets being offered by PA and three .30 pellets with two of them back ordered. Does that explain it to you clearly enough?
Actually, there’s 5 .30 cal pellets, with a 6th one coming out in the next few months. Jsb makes the 44.75 and the 50.15 gr, Polymag has a .44.75 gr also and Vortex makes a 44.75 gr that are way cheaper than the Jsb’s and shoot just as good. Also FX makes a 46 gr .30 cal pellet you can buy from airguns of Arizona. H&N is coming out with one in the next month or 2 and it’s going to be 46ish grains from what I’ve been reading. But, when you’re shooting a .30 cal, it’s going to cost you $.07 to $.10 a shot. It’s not a cheap plinker, I plink with mine, because I love that down range energy and watching everything either explode or go flying off. But I can shoot from 78 fpe to 86 fpe with a small hammer spring adjustment. I also have a .25 to plink with too, both are great calibers, hit extremely hard, buck the wind much better that a .22 or light caliber. But both these calibers would be considered hunting calibers. They normally start at 45 fpe and go up to 100 fpe. They’re really only 4 .25 cal pellets, Jsb 25.39, jsb heavies 33.95, jsb heavies mk2 33.95 and then polymags. Others may shoot ok or decent, but the first 3 will pretty much shoot out of all guns if you get them in the sweet spot.

Reactions: hvack
"Tony.fryery"
"Kev"Hvack the last time I checked there were well over twenty .25 pellets being offered by PA and three .30 pellets with two of them back ordered. Does that explain it to you clearly enough?
Actually, there’s 5 .30 cal pellets, with a 6th one coming out in the next few months. Jsb makes the 44.75 and the 50.15 gr, Polymag has a .44.75 gr also and Vortex makes a 44.75 gr that are way cheaper than the Jsb’s and shoot just as good. Also FX makes a 46 gr .30 cal pellet you can buy from airguns of Arizona. H&N is coming out with one in the next month or 2 and it’s going to be 46ish grains from what I’ve been reading. But, when you’re shooting a .30 cal, it’s going to cost you $.07 to $.10 a shot. It’s not a cheap plinker, I plink with mine, because I love that down range energy and watching everything either explode or go flying off. But I can shoot from 78 fpe to 86 fpe with a small hammer spring adjustment. I also have a .25 to plink with too, both are great calibers, hit extremely hard, buck the wind much better that a .22 or light caliber. But both these calibers would be considered hunting calibers. They normally start at 45 fpe and go up to 100 fpe. They’re really only 4 .25 cal pellets, Jsb 25.39, jsb heavies 33.95, jsb heavies mk2 33.95 and then polymags. Others may shoot ok or decent, but the first 3 will pretty much shoot out of all guns if you get them in the sweet spot.
And yet another quote for KEV !!!! lol nuf said :)

The only thing I will disagree with Tony is the Hatsan pellets.
yes they are 44.75, however (and maybe it is the ones I got) they do not shoot near as well as the JSB 44.75.
They are also made in the Czech Republic, which leads me to believe they are JSB's
After a couple bad groups I started looking at the pellets and everyone I could find in the tin had bad skirts.
So I wonder if they are JSB B-stock items sold to Hatsan?