.25 cal. non-lead ammo

That is the way it used to be. The proposed regulation banning lead in California, do to take effect in 2017, eliminates the firearm loop hole for airguns by stating that no game shall be taken with lead, period. Doesn't mention firearms or airguns or archery gear.

That's my take on it. Read the 2017 regulation proposal and give me your take on it, Calberry. I saw it in this years Big Game Regs..

I hope I'm mistaken, but sadly I believe I'm correct.

I'll go down to the local F&W office and get a handbook and talk to the warden on duty. Here's what I found about AB 711. Halfway down, it states the lead ban will go into effect no later than July 1, 2019, but it also says non lead ammo shot with any FIREARM. I'll post my findings after I visit the F&W office

Rendon. Hunting: nonlead ammunition.(1) Existing law requires the Fish and Game Commission, by July 1, 2008, to establish by regulation a public process to certify centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition as nonlead ammunition, and to define by regulation nonlead ammunition as including only centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition in which there is no lead content. Existing law requires the commission to establish and annually update a list of certified centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition.Existing law requires that nonlead centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition, as determined by the commission, be used when taking big game with a rifle or pistol, as defined by the Department of Fish and Wildlife’s hunting regulations, and when taking coyote, within specified deer hunting zones, but excluding specific counties and areas. A violation of these provisions is a crime. Existing law requires the commission to establish a process, to the extent that funding is available, that will provide hunters in these specified deer hunting zones with nonlead ammunition at no or reduced charge.This bill would instead require, as soon as is practicable, but by no later than July 1, 2019, the use of nonlead ammunition for the taking of all wildlife, including game mammals, game birds, nongame birds, and nongame mammals, with any firearm. The bill would require the commission to certify, by regulation, nonlead ammunition for these purposes. The bill would require that the list of certified ammunition include any federally approved nontoxic shotgun ammunition. The bill would make conforming changes. The bill would provide that these provisions do not apply to government officials or their agents when carrying out a statutory duty required by law.

"Calbarry"I'll go down to the local F&W office and get a handbook and talk to the warden on duty. Here's what I found about AB 711. Halfway down, it states the lead ban will go into effect no later than July 1, 2019, but it also says non lead ammo shot with any FIREARM. I'll post my findings after I visit the F&W office

Rendon. Hunting: nonlead ammunition.(1) Existing law requires the Fish and Game Commission, by July 1, 2008, to establish by regulation a public process to certify centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition as nonlead ammunition, and to define by regulation nonlead ammunition as including only centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition in which there is no lead content. Existing law requires the commission to establish and annually update a list of certified centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition.Existing law requires that nonlead centerfire rifle and pistol ammunition, as determined by the commission, be used when taking big game with a rifle or pistol, as defined by the Department of Fish and Wildlife’s hunting regulations, and when taking coyote, within specified deer hunting zones, but excluding specific counties and areas. A violation of these provisions is a crime. Existing law requires the commission to establish a process, to the extent that funding is available, that will provide hunters in these specified deer hunting zones with nonlead ammunition at no or reduced charge.This bill would instead require, as soon as is practicable, but by no later than July 1, 2019, the use of nonlead ammunition for the taking of all wildlife, including game mammals, game birds, nongame birds, and nongame mammals, with any firearm. The bill would require the commission to certify, by regulation, nonlead ammunition for these purposes. The bill would require that the list of certified ammunition include any federally approved nontoxic shotgun ammunition. The bill would make conforming changes. The bill would provide that these provisions do not apply to government officials or their agents when carrying out a statutory duty required by law.
Well looking over this text: it only pertains to firearms. Air rifles aren't firearms.

That's well and good as far as public lands are concerned, but owners of private land can stipulate anything they like when offering permissions on their land. Some already specify non lead in any form being shot on their land. Its the way of the future, no getting around it eventually. I would expect forward thinking pellet manufacturers to be working on well performing non lead alternatives in all calibers already. I know that's wishful thinking.`

Calberry and DaBinChe
You saw no verbiage stating " no animal will be taken with lead" therefore closing the firearm loophole for airguns, interesting . 

I'll be back with you shortly. Just want to double check where I saw that statement. This is good for we Californian's to open this discussion and come to total clarify what is happening in the future. I know I read it somewhere, I just have to remember where. 

Good Job Guys!

npunk42

I agree, best get ahead of the trend and form legislation to protect airgun hunting, for that matter hunting, in California. It would be great if we would be allowed to hunt big game with airguns, of course conforming to firearms standards for non-lead if needed. 

As far as ammo, come guys, you venture capitalist here's a golden opportunity to corner the market!

Ok Guys,

I found the statement that is a concern for we air gun hunters in California .

In the 2015 Big Game Hunting pamphlet, on page 9, under the heading " Lead Free Hunting Ammunition Update", the first paragraph, first sentence.

AB711 has had several sections added to it, one of which is (3004.5(b)) requires a complete ban on the use of lead ammunition when taking wildlife anywhere in the State by July 1, 2019. This is not a direct quote but I don't see anything about what kind of weapon that takes the wildlife stated.

Read the way it is written, it seems to me that we might have an looming issue to deal with, Is there a lawyer in the house?

Your take

Mike

I stopped by the F&W office this morning and talked to a warden. He gave me this link. Scroll down to the question area and read "are pellet rifles include in the non lead ammunition ban". Unless California decides to reclassify pellet guns as firearms, you can still shoot lead. The regulations have always allowed the shooting of lead pellets in the Condor region where lead ammunition has been banned. 

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonlead-Ammunition